Did I make the right decision ?

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
Hello everyone

I've been missing my Welshie fix after selling my section a 18 mths ago so have been casually looking around for something. Found a lovely little grey, 2 yrs 7 mths which the owner had rescused from auction a few weeks ago. Viewed him today and he was just what I was looking for and absolutely beautiful but terrified beyond belief - almost to the point of unhandleable :-(

After going away and much though I explained he wasn't for me - I just don't think I could offer him the time he needs.

But then again, did I walk away without trying ?

Any views or experiences with terrified neds ? If they have really gone through hell do they ever come "right" with lots of time and patience ?

kerilli

Visit site
yes, they do come right, if you have the patience!
one of my 4 yr olds was hardly handled before i bought her as a yearling, it was honestly like having a deer around, not a horse... it took me about 15 mins to catch her in the stable once. she was uncatchable in the field for about a year and a half, had to follow the others in, no chance of catching her on her own...
the fact that she's now nearly 17h made it imperative that she become easy and sweet to do. it's taken a good while but been really worth it, she's really sweet and loves attention. i didn't spend hours and hours a day with her, just made sure that every contact with me was really positive and happy for her...
fwiw mine was never nasty/defensive though, just had hyper flight reflex. i prob wouldn't take on one that was defensive verging on aggressive (kicked, etc.)

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
Heart said yes, head said no! She was prepared to knock the price down too but the price wasn't the issue. I have never seen a pony so frightened in all of my life! I like a challenge and something to work with but with one horse already, a full time job and a house to run I didn't feel I could spend enough time on him, that said, part of me did wonder if you left him to it for a few months he could improve anyway.....hmmmmmmm.....

Cample19

Visit site
My mare was wild when i bought her and completely unhandleable - even to put a head collar on her was a huge task and she would just walk on her back legs everywhere - She is now a complete schoolmaster and utterly bombproof - yes it was alot of patience and a few hairy moments but it was worth every second - training her was the most rewarding thing ive ever done in my life.
I think she was potentially very dangerous to start with and i was always careful leading her with a hat on during her rearing and leg paddling stage and i always had a lunge line on so i could get out of her way if i needed to.
I knew as soon as i saw my mare that i wanted her irrelevant of her issues - every horse ive owned i think i just knew they were for me so if you didnt feel like that then so what? You will find something else that will feel right and probably will be less headache. If you want a challenge though could be worth rethinking? I wouldnt change how she was for the world.

spike123

Visit site
If you don't have the time or the patience then walking away is the right thing to do. My horse in my sig was an absolute nightmare when I first had him.He was defensive and would kick out really meaning it,wouldn't let you near him with a brush and would bite and barge you to avoid letting you touch him.He was labelled dangerous by many and after he put a friend into a hedge and bolted off down the road kicking out at her as he went my husband begged me to get rid of him. However I was determined that someone had caused him to react that way.He had some handling but had both been mistreated and also probably been handled by someone who was terrified of him and had let him get away with murder.It took me 6 months of consistent firm but fair handling to turn him around into a horse who started to relax and enjoy human company. I have a very strong bond with him and wouldn't sell him to anyone so yes he was well worth it.

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
Kerrilli, he was a dear little thing and showed no agression, just pure, trembling fear. When I arrived, he was walking in hand nicely but you couldnt just walk up to him, everything had to be done from working you way backwards - hand on backside and inching your way to his front and you could not touch the top of his neck/face. God know what the poor little thing has been through to be like that. I just felt that with other committments I couldnt offer what he needed.

My last Welshie I bought at 7mths and he was nervous and took a lot of time and patience but you could walk up to him and hold him straight off.

Ive said to the seller that if she doesnt have any luck and she handles him some more I may reconsider....my plan was to buy something to play with and bring on, then eventually loan out, but I am not so sure he wouldnt end up being a very one-to-one pony given whatever he has gone through.

Pro's and con's....!

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
Cample, he definately wasn't dangerous in anyway, he turned his bum when she put him back in his stable but it was to get himself into the corner - he didnt once put his ears back or turn on her/me and when you walked away you could see he was genuinely interested. If I did not have my mare I would have snapped him up I think, I just feel he would take up more of my time than I could offer him. That said, our stables are within a barn and he would have lots to watch from a safe distance! Where he was today was quite secluded and he had a bossy mare hanging over the partition which didnt help!
I agree with what you saying about it being rewarding - that was one thing I said to my friend.

devilwoman

Visit site
Go on have him you know you want to lol.

Agree with the others if you don't have the time then maybe put him out of your mind, although i'm suspecting that's going to be hard, personally i'd say you don't need to be handling him all day every day that would become boring for both of you but as someone else said just make every moment you do spend with him rewarding and pleasurable, its amazing how soon the hand that feeds them becomes their best friend !.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Most nervous ponies bless them have had their confidence knocked big time, just like kids, best thing is slowly but surely and the old aying is 1 step forward 3 steps back, but it comes right in the end you just need patience and time