Didn't get far with vetting today- footsore

TGM

Visit site
Oh dear - nothing is ever simple is it! Whilst the different sized feet may not be an issue on its own, the combination of that with the lameness/soreness problem would worry me
frown.gif
Does the vet think she is lame/sore in more than one foot? How overdue for shoeing is she? If she has gone a very long time between shoeings, then some soreness maybe excusable. Exactly what level of competing do you want to do with her?

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks for all the different views everyone.

She was slightly lame on one fore, sore with the hoof testers on both forefeet. Last shod 8-10 weeks ago I would guess (normally gets shod every 8wks.)

Want her to to local level ODEs, sj, xc, bit of hunting once I get back into things...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I had a mare with different-sized feet (the farrier noticed, not me! although it seemed obvious when he showed me) I can't remember her ever being unsound but perhaps I just got lucky! If you really really like her (i know you do!) get her feet x-rayed. Is there any chance she was shod by a not-very-good farrier?

Snowberry

Visit site
I personally would say walk away - simply because you've been through so much lately that you want something without any problems. A nice simple horse to have some fun with. I would hate to see you 3-6months down the line having yet more problems/expense etc..
I know that you cannot guarantee any horse (we had one that past the vetting only to be PTS 8months later!!!)
Good luck hun, I really hope it works out for you

_jetset_

Visit site
Ltz, I am so sorry to hear that she was unsound... could be that the ground has been so hard and she is late being shod so I would persevere with her on this count as I know you felt really happy on her and I think that is a big bonus after everything that has happened to you!

As for the different sizes of feet, I would have an xray to see what's going on in there. I know a TB mare with this problem and she is not unsound and the problem is getting better the more times she is shod (owner has a different farrier to previous owner...)

I hope you get some luck soon honey...

Rebecca

mandy4727

Visit site
My old pony had odd sized feet. It was only picked up by 1 farrier when she was about 26. She was lame twice in her life. Once for a few weeks aged 21. After nerve blocks and xrays diagnosed with navicular. Egg bar shoes on twice, navilox and bute for 6 weeks. Never ever affected her again and normal shoes on. The second time she had laminitis in both hinds. All 4 of her feet were odd. ie both hinds difference sizes and both fronts. Can't say if the navic was because of this or not. She still jumped right up to her being pts in Jan this year, still hacked out on the road and we still won veterans evertime at the local show both ridden and in hand. So it didn't do her any harm.

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Oh I've just posted in the lounge askign how you'd got on, doh never thought to read here first.
Steer clear, you've been through enough heart ache with Fal the last thing you need is more problems.
TB's are generaly high maintenance anyway and one with a problem on day one I would say is not just unlucky.
Why not keep looking elsewhere in the meantime before your farrier takes a look?

dieseldog

Visit site
First of all, why didn't the vendor get her shod! Always make sure your horses shoes are OK before a vetting.

We have 3 horses with different shaped feet at the moment. The first one we got x rayed, vendor paid for it, as one of his feet were quite boxy. He's a Grade A, Intermediate eventer now and never been lame. The 2nd one's feet you can hardly tell anymore since he's been shod properly, never been lame, and the 3rd one we've not had long, but is improving and he's never been lame. There aren't many horses around with perfectly shaped, equal sized feet. And a change in Farrier can make a huge difference.

If you really like the horse get her feet x ray'd and take the advice of your vet and farrier. Good luck

Parkranger

Visit site
I suppose it depends on how much you're paying for the horse. How about taking her on for a month with the understanding that if she doesn't get better, you give her back. Also agree a price before the 'trial' so you don't get her sound and they have her back (or demand more money).

Gingernags

Visit site
Thats quite long between shoeings though isn't it? Asti goes 4 weeks in the summer, 6 in winter. Though this last one she has gone six as her feet aren't growing as much it being so dry and the grass being parched.

I'd get your farrier to look and do her and get her re-vetted, but also see if the sellers will give you a warranty that you can return her for a refund should anything foot related develop within x months etc.

I just know how bad our TB gets if left too long between visits, and when we had to change to a new farrier last time, her feet were terrible by the time the new one could do her (old one didn't turn up) and she looked like she was on her last legs. She's now back to galloping round like a 2 year old! Feet still not good but they are improving no end with the new farrier. Actually, same for Asti.

Give the farrier and re-vetting a chance. Plus if you get xrays, they aren't hugely expensive and you'll get a better picture.

hotpot

Visit site
i have a horse with odd front feet i have had him for 15yrs i got him as a 4yr old and he is still going strong when i brought him i had a 5 star vetting and they done all the normal things and lunged on concrete which i think any horse without shoes would show some degree of lameness if the farrier and your vet agree on her feet i would go for it plane that you really like her. i hope the outcome will be good news .

LauraBR

Visit site
Farrier came to see her with me on Fri evening. To cut a long story short he thinks her feet are pretty good for a TB aside from the fact she is well overdue shoeing (to the point where he feels sure it would account for her feeling a bit sore). She was that mildly lame it was hardly noticeable.

Yes, he said her feet are slightly different sizes but not enough to majorly worry about provided she comes right once shod. Basically he said she is the kind of horse to need shoeing every 4 weeks without fail.

The horse has attracted a fair bit of interest from other buyers now who just want to come and pick her- so I need to make my mind up.

She gets shod on Monday, kind wonderful farrier (my farrier, not farrier shoeing her) agreed to go back over there on Wednesday to check if she is sound (he's as good as a vet in that respect, if not better) and depending on his verdict I'll buy/not buy.

I know half of you will probably think I'm crazy, and yes, I'll be taking a risk but she is 100% perfect in every other way and the fact that friends of mine have seen her out competing in ODEs, pony club stuff etc all year and can verify she is everything her owner describes her as I'm not sure I can turn her down.

So, awaiting farriers verdict on Weds. Also going to speak to vet on Mon to hear her 'push comes to shove' verdict.

selina25

Visit site
oohhh sorry I know the feeling py for a vetting and get no horse downer or what, but you have to think about what yu have saved once you got her if there were problems you would pay more..

I lost a horse which I did not have vetted 6 months later he was put to sleep with Navicular,,, next horse I liked was vetted and failed due to unlevelness I was gutted so much so at having to fork out £250 for nothing I didnt get the next one vetted he had odd feet but i didnt realise and ended up spending over 2k on scans, treatments, chrios checkups etc he is sorted now about far cortaflex once a day but I do wish I had him vetted (love him to bits though) maybe you could buy the horse or loan for 6 months as long as you get something in writing......