Didnt get help from comp forum... so i thought i would ask you!

Ali_H

Visit site
I have been doing hunter trials since i was tiny and have always been hunting, but janet wants me to do it on Bobby, the 17.2hh clydsdale x. I posted a picture a while ago of him doing a small course about 2ft. But he is such a big beast and it takes alot to get any impulsion out of him, any tips on getting him to pick his feet up and getting him jumping something a bit bigger. He is off work at the moment, hoof trouble, but as soon as he is sound and fit we want to start. I know he will never make a dressage or showjumper but i know he has a good jump, but i want to know the best way to bring it out of him. I know grid work is important. Any tips would be appreciated. Also any good classes to start him in?? He is definately a mans working hunter, and i think he would do well.
Ali

Claireg9

Visit site
well, cross poles have a great way of making the horse jump bigger, they look and think they need to clear the height of the biggest pole but really the jump is alot smaller, hence picking up quicker, also it helps to keep the horse central!
you could try that, otherwise pole work and grid work as mentioned!

Dovorian

Visit site
Slow pole work and tiny grids are the answer to start with. I had a similar problem with a very clumsy 17.2 ID who preferred to fall though everything! We had some sleepers which we used because they don't roll and look solid. It worked and he became a very careful and accurate jumper.