Diet confusion - colitis

PucciNPoni

Visit site
My min poodle might have colitis - speaking to vet I work with about this and she mentioned Wafcol. Was reading online the ingredients in some of the wafcol food - ocean fish and corn? I thought corn was a no-no - and that grains in general were bad for a dog with colitis.

Poodle's breeder suggested chappie - have fed that in past but it gives him very soft stool (so soft that it sticks to his bum after a movement). From a dental point of view, I'm looking for a grain / meat free kibble so the Wafcol seemed appropriate.

Any suggestions or thoughts on that?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Ah, found another Wafcol -salmon and pototao - which sounds about right.

any other suggestions to research though greatly appreciated.

Cheers

satinbaze

Visit site
My first flatcoat had colitis. Dry foods would suit for about 3 months then she would start again. Changed her to raw and she never had another bout of colitis. I know raw isn't for everyone but it is worth considering

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I thought the main thing with colitis is you'd need a meat free diet?

He has a sensitive GI tract - have tried raw for a while but it didn't go down well with him at all.

Did you notice with your dog coat quality change with flare ups?

satinbaze

Visit site
No coat change but then a FCR has a v different coat type to a poodle. She would have bloody mucousy diarrhoea often I would come downstairs in a mornjng to wall to wall poo. Very difficult to keep any weight on although she was well muscled as competed in working trials. After raw she Aldo gained her stud book number in the show ring

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Good lord, that sounds pretty uncomfortable!

Merlin's not quite that bad but think it's an early stage. He's got "raspberry jelly" stools now and again, fair amount of clear mucus but otherwise mostly normal consistency. Weight hasn't been an issue yet - and he's slight at the best of times. But what I have noticed over the past month or so since this started is that his skin is very dry and his coat doesn't have the same volume that it would have normally. Last time I trimmed him, which was last weekend, I noticed that he has thinning patches. Vet said that it could occur with colitis - and sure enough I do seem to recall grooming many dogs with skin disorders that flare up with each flare up of the colitis.

Spoke to Merlin's breeder, seems his dam also has colitis - but no problems with skin/coat.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
We have battled with Colitis with our Golden Retriever for the last 2-3 years, numerous trips to the vets, some dry feeds (expensive vet bought food and pet shop bought) worked for a time and then she would have a flare up, her coat went awful,matted and dull, she was losing weight, and we controlled the flare-ups with medication.

In the end we were having to take her out 5 times a day and still having accidents in the house, our poor dog, felt so bad for her.

She then started drinking loads, had blood tests at the vets as thought cushings / liver damage, when i say drinking loads, it was about 4-5 pints a day, stopped eating, she was so miserable that we thought it was 'time'. She is 14 years old.

Someone mentioned Chappie, and previously any tinned food set her off so we were dubious, but it was the last shot really, so we thought why not, well, what a turnaround.

Not one bout of colitis since (2 months and touch wood), stopped the excessive drinking, is literally eating out the bowl before you put it down. Coat has come back all silky again, so wish we had tried it sooner.

I wish you luck, its not pleasant at all.

Last edited:

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Glad to hear that the chappie has worked. It might be worth the pooey backside - it's cheap and easy to feed too.

Thanks for your anecdote/advise x

Echo24

Visit site
How old is your mini poodle? Some dogs develop repeated episodes of colitis by 10 months to a year old and it generally means an allergy of some sort, potentially grain or meat.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
He's 5 - and up til now he's been in great health, very good coat quality. it's literally diminished over the past six weeks or so - and the stool change in the past three weeks.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
ah, thanks -- I'll give that a try.

Anyone use greek yogurt for the pro-biotics? Or am I better with something like Fortiflora?

satinbaze

Visit site
Pro fibre available from manor pharmacy or vet medic. Contains fibre, probiotic and kaolin. Very good stuff, granules you sprinkled on food

weevil

Visit site
I am having ongoing problems with my dog's digestive system. He was already on a grain free, hypoallergenic kibble, but it did contain rice so, in case this has been contributing to his problems I have switched to Arden Grange sensitive (white fish and potato).
He seems to be doing OK so far *touch wood* although he is also on a 4 week course of antibiotics and if they don't work will have to be referred for an endoscopy.

He has been on probiotics for over a year now - I use yumpro as it comes in tablet form which he is better at eating than the granules you sprinkle over food.

Vizslak

Visit site
I am having ongoing problems with my dog's digestive system. He was already on a grain free, hypoallergenic kibble, but it did contain rice so, in case this has been contributing to his problems I have switched to Arden Grange sensitive (white fish and potato).
He seems to be doing OK so far *touch wood* although he is also on a 4 week course of antibiotics and if they don't work will have to be referred for an endoscopy.

He has been on probiotics for over a year now - I use yumpro as it comes in tablet form which he is better at eating than the granules you sprinkle over food.
Exactly the same as a little spaniel I had in recently, yum pro and the ag white fish and potato have made a huge difference in a short time for him.