Dietary advice post incisor extractions

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I will be checking with the vet dentist when he does the extractions on Thursday, but any dietary/aftercare advice beforehand from those who have been through it would be welcome, so that I can prepare. It's 402/403, her lower right outer incisors. He didn't think that they should be too difficult to extract 🤞.

He's already filled 109/110 recently.

I'm assuming that grass will be ok? Got plenty of that, and can soak hay cobs to form a mash. No hay for a while, I presume. She's 17.
IMG_3607.jpeg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was told when mine had his (all of them) removed that to avoid chaff and bitty feeds, he was allowed solely nuts or cubes as the horse moves them straight to the back of the mouth to grind, thus keeping the sockets cleaner.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Nb hay was fine and they said not to soak feed! Literally dry nuts. Although when he was in the vets for the first few days he had some weird looking oily mash

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My regular vets removed the first few and they didn’t specify any particular diet.
It was the Equine Dental Clinic people who finished the job off and said only nuts and hay. Mine couldn’t eat grass so that wasn’t really an option.

Mustard

Visit site
One's just had 101 out. No special diet except for that evening - grass and a very sloppy feed-but then out at grass with some hay and a small chaff feed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, all.

403 and 402 were successfully extracted earlier today. 403 (on the right on the swab) was very stubborn and broke in two, but is all out now. The small bit of tissue is a drainage channel from infection - these two incisors are likely to have been very painful pre extraction 😬.

IMG_1141.jpeg
Slightly gory pic of the sockets post extraction is hidden behind a spoiler.

IMG_1145.jpeg

Half an hour after the pic of her zonked out with her head on the chin rest, she was back out grazing happily. It took 2 hours but that included a routine rasp.

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

Mash and grass are grand, but strictly no haynets for a while. Vet dentist is back in a week to repack sockets and check progress.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Update.

4 weeks on and her sockets are continuing to form healthy new granulation tissue and heal up nicely. She's had two post extraction check ups, and while he'd have happily signed off 402, 403 (which was a stubborn fecker to extract 😳) is a bit behind so I'm monitoring it with another check pencilled in.

Less gruesome pic this time, so not hidden under a spoiler.

IMG_1373.jpeg

She was on Danilon for nearly two weeks, but is off it now and is showing no discomfort. She is eating as normal.

She does need a chiro vet check, though, after all that time wobbling about under standing sedation with her head on the chin rest. I think she might be sore in her poll/TMJ area. Her next check is being brought forward hopefully to next week - chiro vets and vet dentists are in great demand!