Difference between a yard manager and yard supervisor?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'd say YS probably has less responsibility than a YM.

I'd probably expect them to be in day to day charge of the yard (and grooms) but not the one making big decisions or able to implement change.

teapot

Visit site
Less responsibility on a day to day basis (would be directly managed by the yard manager) but could run the yard in the yard manager’s absence if needed, especially for jobs that required a level of knowledge, experience and trust. They may or may not be capable of sole charge. In my old job, the YSs never did any of the administrative side of the job, that was YM’s responsibility only (or mine if they were on annual leave etc).

From an employment point of view, the yard manager would be the older, more experienced, and you’d hope better qualified one. Your yard supervisor could be anything from perhaps an older mature type fresh out of college through to someone who may be perfectly capable of being a yard manager in the future.

However I have seen it used as a title to give someone a bit of a leg up but in reality they were no more than a standard groom, just got to tell apprentices what to do. Would hugely depend on the yard set up imho.

Last edited: