Difference between cow parsley and hemlock?

saddlesore

Visit site
Hiya, I posted something similar a few days ago about my boy eating this whilst out hacking:

223436_222916597733781_100000463263775_924668_4611146_n.jpg

227792_222916857733755_100000463263775_924669_4419729_n.jpg

Everyone on here said it was cow parsley and that it was fine, but then out riding again today someone said it was hemlock and its deadly poisonous!! Just had a google and they both look the same to me :confused:

Is there a way to tell the difference? :eek:

showqa

Visit site
I think hemlock has a purply stem, hollow. They do look similar though so I understand your worry.

little_critter

Visit site
I suspect if it was hemlock he would have keeled over by now.
Hemlock has a spotted purple stem and smells nasty. It also has smooth stems whereas cow parsley is a little ribbed and hairy.

showqa

Visit site
Look up the posts of Paddy Irish - s/he posted picture of the three (Cow Parsley, Hogweed nd Hemlock) and they're really clear to see.

showqa

Visit site
It was posted 6/5 - go into the search panel and look at advanced search. Put in Cow parsley and then Paddy Irish and the post will come up. Hope it helps.

JoBird

Visit site
Definitely cow parsley. It grows april/may and often in verges amongst grass and clivers. Horses will often grab it out on a ride whereas I have NEVER had one grab hemlock. Chill!

Rob Lakeside

Visit site
Hemlock Is vary rear!
I have only in 30 years seen it 3 times and I am a horticulturist, and only on waist ground

It is the most erect of all these umbellifies, has purple spots on the stems and will grow 3-5 times larger than the cowparsley found in hedgerows.

Finally flowers in June.

Please can we put an end to this!!!

kerilli

Visit site
Quite right to ask - an interesting thread. Rob only wants to end it so he can go practice his spelling.

haha brilliant, why isn't there a 'Like' button on here?!

Seriously though, thanks for the info Rob, good to know that hemlock's rare and so there's very little likelihood that the mouthful of greenery a horse has just grabbed is hemlock...

i read that hemlock smells nasty too, fusty like mice, whereas cow parsley smells really fresh and green to me.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Trouble is there are three types of hemlock really,

Hemlock water dropwort (Ocenanthe Crocata )
Water Hemlock ( Genus Circuta )
Hemlock ( Genus conruim )
May have the Latin names slightly wrong but along those lines.

ALL are of the Umbellifore family so all have the same unmistakable white flowers as has Cow parsley.
I'm pretty sure we have either the water dropwort type or the Water hemlock , both seriously harmful to people and livestock . Although there has only been about 14 human deaths from it between 1900 - 1978 - mostly kids that have eaten it. Animals tend to know whats good and whats bad but Paddy did stretch out and snatch a hemlock top whilst riding , and although i managed to pull it out and he spat the rest out , it goes to show that when two plants look similar and your horse is diving into the hedge un - checked he/she is not going to stop to see which one it is. It's up to us all to know the difference - just in case. Hemlock , with the purple stem spots may be rare as Rob says but the other two varieties are everywhere.:eek:

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Lovely pic C&O , I can tell straight away that you are offering up a tasty bit of cow parsley ( which is in flower now , whereas hemlock is still just budding) You can see quite a long length of stem from where the top leaves are to the actual flower and the leaves are fine. Water hemlock flowers sit pretty much just above the highest set of leaves.

appylass

Visit site
We sometimes get a patch of hemlock in our lane (nowhere near horses!) I notice the awful smell before anything else. it is hard to describe, maybe a bit like very badly gone off curry! Once you smell it you won't forget. None of the animals (cattle or horses) show any interest in it, whereas they will all do anything for cow parsley!

cob&onion

Visit site
Hog weed is another nasty that looks similar to hemlock and cow parsley - hog weed is HUGE though and apparently can give really nasty skin burns.

somethingorother

Visit site
Quite right to ask - an interesting thread. Rob only wants to end it so he can go practice his spelling.

That is uncalled for when someone is just trying to offer some useful info. Not everyone can spell brilliantly, but i think it was quite readable. No need at all to pick on someone for their spelling, are you a bratty child? No? Then don't act like one.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Hi somethingorother. Didn't like Rob's attitude to saddlesore, frankly. Very superior, very dismissive - and he still can't spell..... I don't doubt his horticulturist knowledge, but people with knowledge should pass it on graciously - not try to shut someone up who's asking a very sensible question.

Tnavas

Visit site
Hi somethingorother. Didn't like Rob's attitude to saddlesore, frankly. Very superior, very dismissive - and he still can't spell..... I don't doubt his horticulturist knowledge, but people with knowledge should pass it on graciously - not try to shut someone up who's asking a very sensible question.

^^^^ Agree - I also thought Rob's comment was totally uncalled for. No matter how often people ask the same question it hurts no-one to answer in a friendly way.

teddyt

Visit site
Hemlock when crushed smells like male mouse pee - disgusting.

I am intrigued to know how you developed the skill of distinguishing between male and female mouse pee :D

Hemlock has more closely bunched flowers. They are the same colour but they are bunched in a bowl shape and the stems are fatter. once you have seen the two side by side there is a clear difference

EAST KENT

Visit site
Rare?? Hemlock?? Oh really? It grows a very fine crop each and every year all along our motorways ,at the moment it is only a couple of feet high,bright green ,the stems have purple/maroon spots for the first 18" or so,it is far taller than cow parsley (a horse delicacy) growing to around six feet.
Socrates chose to exit this world by drinking it`s juice.It acts on the nerves,the outer extremities going tingly and numb first ..and progressing slowly until it stops the heart.Rather vile in that the sufferer remains aware until the heart stops supplying blood to the brain.I think Socrates other choice was the sword,but hemlock does`nt sound a good option either:D

cob&onion

Visit site
Rare?? Hemlock?? Oh really? It grows a very fine crop each and every year all along our motorways ,at the moment it is only a couple of feet high,bright green ,the stems have purple/maroon spots for the first 18" or so,it is far taller than cow parsley (a horse delicacy) growing to around six feet.
Socrates chose to exit this world by drinking it`s juice.It acts on the nerves,the outer extremities going tingly and numb first ..and progressing slowly until it stops the heart.Rather vile in that the sufferer remains aware until the heart stops supplying blood to the brain.I think Socrates other choice was the sword,but hemlock does`nt sound a good option either:D

Sounds nasty!!!