Difference between Crabbet and other Arabians?

LauraBR

Visit site
I have been absolutely desperate to paint a really detailed Arab portrait for absolutely ages so plan a trip to the Northern Arab Show tomorrow to hopefully get lots of photos to work from finally!

So, at the risk of sounding a completely ignorant idiot...

Whilst I have always admired the breed, I don't know anything at all about bloodlines really! I noticed in the thread below about the Arab foal there was mention of the Crabbet Arab, and their type being different- and on looking at the show schedule for tomorrow it would seem the Crabbets have classes seperate to the rest? Have googled and read a bit about the Crabbet Stud over here etc but I'm not any the wiser...  so it's probably a really stupid question
tongue.gif
but can anyone humour me and explain the difference?
grin.gif
Are there seperate classes simply because they are run by the breed Organisation, or is it because the two are quite different in appearance? 
confused.gif
I'm really curious!
grin.gif

haras

Visit site
I think it is just promoting the ols english breeding and bloodlines as they are becoming rarer, so it encourages people to continue breeding them.

I have a 50% crabbet mare, but not enough to enter her in the crabbet classes.

LauraBR

Visit site
Ah, ok- thank you haras
smile.gif
So, reading between the lines on the other thread are the Crabbets more traditional and less exotic looking than some newer lines? Are they scored against a different breed standard or are the classes simply to recognise the pure breeding?

hellybelly6

Visit site
Crabbets were originally important and bred at the Crabbet stud and are thought of as an Old English Arab.

They tend to be lighter in build, smaller and dainty compared to the Egyptians. The faces are slightly more dished and the mane/tail hair thinner and more silky.

I worked on a stud with both and I loved them all, but have to say I prefer the Egyptians. They are larger and have more bone, manes and tails are thicker and they are very good doers.

There are also russian, polish and even different types of arabs within the arab breed. They are all arabs, but they all have slightly different features. There is a type of arab called a Shagya arab which I am passionate about.

In some ways they are like Welsh ponies with all their different sections: A, B, C etc. That is the easiest way I can put it.

LauraBR

Visit site
I see! Thanks HPL. I got the impression the Crabbet was the less dainty so you have set me straight!
grin.gif

The Shagya Arab is my favourite too- I had 'The Ultimate Horse Book' as a child which had loads and loads of horse breeds in. That book was probably the most read book of ALL my childhood books- there was a beautiful grey Shagya Arab in there which I would always pick first when my little sister and I were choosing our horses lol
wink.gif
grin.gif
Would love to own one one day, if only someone could either shrink me or breed me a 16.2hh version...
laugh.gif

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
the crabbets are not dainty. they are very stocky, with good bone, the chap in the picture is a 5 yr 93% crabbet. he had more bone than my tb x id mare.

he mum was crabbet, and there was nothing dainty about her.

ollie029.jpg

mollymoo72

Visit site
in no way are the crabbet horses finer they definatley have more bone and make the best performance horses,their heads are not more dished then other arabs, if you go to www.heathstuduk.co.uk they have a beautiful crabbet stallion indian samber i sure this will be of gd use to you
wink.gif

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
he was a pone! 14.2 hes been sold now, has gone off to a member of the gb endurance team! lucky boy he had a real crap start to life!

hellybelly6

Visit site
Yes they are, they are smaller and daintier. I worked in an arab stud with an arabian horse and showing expert. We had both crabbets and egyptians. The imported Egyptian stallion was called Marawan, one of my highlights was riding Marawan.

Its gotta be egyptians and shagya arabs for me.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
LOL i think anything that has indian in the parentage is pure crabbet..

or as close as pure as you can get, there doesnt seem to be many of the 100% pures about these days.

mollymoo72

Visit site
yes so have i and still do show crabbets we will have to disagree on this one the eygption head is a lot more dished then the crabbet,but either way i love all arabs
grin.gif

mollymoo72

Visit site
amazing his sire who needs no introduction was INDIAN BANNER the bone on him was mega to say the least and stood at 15'3hh heath stud had the privalinge of leasing him 5 yrs ago now
wink.gif

sallyellis

Visit site
sorry I have to agree with Lisa on this one, I have a high percentage crabbet and he is over 15 hh at 2years old has a lot of bone and doesnt have an overly dished face as say the Egyptian or some of the other types....this is mainly why they have their own class, you will also find a lot of them in the classic head classes at Arab shows, IZT if you go on Arabian Lines forum they may be able to tell you more as I am still learning all about breeding lines etc but there are some very knowledgeable people on there.

mik

Visit site
I had a pure crabbat stallion he was the best event pony i ever had and he was so brave, there was nothing dainty about him, he won everything. i
I also had a crabbat x welsh d and she was amazing too, niether were dainty at all, and the stallion had more bone than my hano lad does for his size.
Dont have any piccys on the computer, sorry.

j1ffy

Visit site
Wow, Indian Samba is stunning!! I have no clue about Arabian breeding but he doesn't look as dainty as some you see.

Love to see the palomino stallion on there - a palomino arab (or PB will do) was my girlhood dream! He's looks a little weak and high behind for my liking but what a gorgeous colour
smile.gif

mollymoo72

Visit site
He is mega stallion samba his first crop of foals are due next yr its very exciting
smile.gif
xivier the palomino the pic does not do him any justice i think he is 3 in the pic,you are more than welcome to come and vist him he is 5 now and his foals are already multichampions in the showring
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Indian Samba is indeed a beautiful stallion! Hope there are lots like him there tomorrow!
grin.gif

Thanks everyone
smile.gif
I actually feel less stupid about asking the question given there seem to be differing opinions amongst people who know what they are talking about! Shall be interesting to see if I can spot a marked difference between the horses in the classes tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for good weather, dark and dreary here today and I would prefer to paint dry arabs rather than soaking wet ones
grin.gif

Cluny

Visit site
Crabbets were descended from the Bedouin tribes horses of the desert and the line was started by Lady Anne and Wilfrid Blunt back in the 1870's when they brought back a number of very fine examples of the Arabian horse to their home at Crabbet Park in Sussex. The beauty of the Crabbet Arab is that they are very tough, they are bred from horses that were taken into battle, who crossed vast distances across incredibly tough habitat and who were used to hunt gazelle and other animals.

Crabbet's are by their very nature, super intelligent, (and opinionated!) but they are also stockier than the Russian, or Polish horses of today and they are definitely not so dished in their profile.

I'm very lucky to have grown up with a pure bred Crabbet mare, she's still going strong (although in retirement now) at 34 and she was bred by Dennis Hulme at the Down Park Stud. She has fab bloodlines, which were for a while very out of favour, but now are back in.

Her sire is Rayyan (Silver Vanity x Risseefa) who was bred by they doyenne of the Crabbet world - Rosemary Archer (her daughter Caroline Sussex is greatly respected in the Crabbet World)and her dam was Bright Dawn (Bright Shadow x Dancing Diamond) .

If you click on her pedigree (it goes back to the desert bred Arabs) you can see good examples of the breed and it'll give you a good idea of how the Crabbet breed evolved.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/yellow+bird7

Hope you had a fab day!

JavaJaneW

Visit site
Harmony is Crabbet lines, the stud has predominately Crabbets

3632615875_ed341b12ca_b.jpg

They are not as dished as the Egyptians but still very Araby looking
smile.gif

That's about as much as I know lol..

Red_Arrow

Visit site
It's lovely to see something mentioned on here about the Crabbet Arabs, although I must admit that I didn't recognise the description of them being slight and having a dished face as I always thought of them as being a more stocky form of the breed. I have a pure Crabbet, who I absolutely adore! He has his "arab" moments for example a dislike of jumping coloured poles - which obviously become more scary if you jump them from the opposite direction! or the fact that he will spook at something as he's half way past it - but I can't fault him when it comes to hunting or XC as he suddenly becomes a flying machine! I don't very often post on here so not quite sure what I'm doing, but will try to attach a photo.

zizz

Visit site
Crabbet have thier own classes specifically because they are less dainty and typey than other strains and therefore often lose marks for type in normal arab classes. I posted this
pic of my purebred crabbet mare ages ago and a few people mistook her for a cob type
blush.gif

2007_0220horses0028.jpg

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
the picture i posted, that lad is by kasadi, out of a mare called eliza rose, breed by the harwood stud.

very true to type, really intelligent, but very opinionated.