Difference between show and working pt 2

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Is that when you walk your working bred dog with a show bred equivalent, no-one believes you when you say your dog is the same breed. I even had someone on sunday say the breeder saw me coming :D and anecdatally, my working bred dog was by far the best behaved/trained out of the 6 goldies that we met of varying ages ;)

Karran

Visit site
someone once thought Mrs Spaniel was a Red Setter Pup!

I had no idea WCS existed until I got her, thought they all looked like Lady from Lady and the Tramp. Her Microchip book said springer. Vet records said Springer x Cocker. It was my own vet, and a few people on here that said she was a working cocker!

Moobli

Visit site
I have been told a few times by people who are obviously much more knowledgeable than me that my working line GSD is either a cross breed or a Malinois :D Yep okay!

satinbaze

Visit site
When Tiva my duel purpose bred flatcoat was 4 months old someone stopped me and said "I love your cockerpoo!!!!!!!"

Clodagh

Visit site
When Tiva my duel purpose bred flatcoat was 4 months old someone stopped me and said "I love your cockerpoo!!!!!!!"

Oh now that really would be galling! Although I was pretty upset the first time a man with a hugely overweight chocolate lab said mine must be a cross.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Had someone with a couple of doodle types ask me what kind of doodle I had. Bitch in puppy pants (show clip) and the dog in a rather smart German clip. Both 100% poodle. I said they were "poor man's doodles" They didn't understand.

Don't worry about other people's ignorance ;)

Chiffy

Visit site
I think flatcoats are one of the breeds that differ very little as so many of them both show and do field trials or go shooting. The society actively encourage their champions to be show and working champions.
Having said that, lots of people don't recognise the breed, my black one has been called a Labrador cross Spaniel and the liver one a Red Setter!

Karran

Visit site
I think flatcoats are one of the breeds that differ very little as so many of them both show and do field trials or go shooting. The society actively encourage their champions to be show and working champions.
Having said that, lots of people don't recognise the breed, my black one has been called a Labrador cross Spaniel and the liver one a Red Setter!

We have one that is a guide dog at work. I thought he must be a cross as was so much taller than any golden i'd met before!

Auslander

Visit site
My setter (working type) met 5 show type setter out walking once. Not only was he 3/4 of the size, with 1/4 of the hair, but he was also soaking wet and muddy. They were not. Their owner looked at him and said "Good Lord, what a funny little thing!"

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
One vet told me Bear was a big lad for a cocker. He was 25kg at the time. Someone out walking asked me if the brothers were smooth collies. I think they're really obviously of the spaniel variety.
IMAG0567.jpg

RunToEarth

Visit site

I had a lot of people ask whether my working bred goldie was a lurcher cross when she was a puppy - it really did rile me, and on a personal level I'm not a fan of cockerpoos so I'm offended on your behalf.

Some ******** who was on a partridge day came into the office last week and asked whether she was a lab cross lurcher and whether I was feeding her - I just smiled and said "ah, that's a lovely lab, she's fat is she crossed with a seal". He swore at me. 😁

I'm always immensely happy when people don't believe she's a GR because most I see are a lot thicker set and borderline obese.

michelledud

Visit site

Oooh I've only ever seen black Flatcoats, I didn't realise they came in any other colours 😊
Completely continually pee'd off and insulted by the number of people who think my brown roan Spinone is a "Labradoodle", not had many guesses as to what breed my orange roan Spinone is, most people just ask what he is if they don't know.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Lovely dogs but not seen much :) I've only ever seen a handful of them.

Try having a 'purebred' Welsh Sheepdog (not papered/planned - farm litter), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Sheepdog , no he is NOT a 'lanky, half bald' border collie!

we have quite a few spinones around us-need to try and track down a breeder.

love Welsh sheep dogs-saw that program with Kate Humble with the sheepdog getting those feral sheep out of woodland-amazing stuff.

Mince Pie

Visit site
MoC, having just read your 1st thread about this, who on EARTH!! suggested that WS's are 'softer' than BCs? WS are bred to move stock over hundreds of miles of mountainous terrain and guard it at night, lot lot more energetic than a BC!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Do you get people asking if he is a Lurcher?
MoC not sure if just mine of not but imo you had a lucky escape! Mine used to come to work with me whilst working on yards, he had minimum of 10-12 hours a day and was still pinging off the walls at the end of the day! At 10 he is now like a regular if energetic family dog and is happy with 2-3 hours a day....

Moobli

Visit site
love Spinones! they are on my list as a breed to find out more about ;)

My sister has owned Spins for over 30 years - she was given her first way back when they were a very unusual breed to see in the UK. She has had quite a bit of show success with hers and currently has two. I am happy to pass on her details if you would like more info.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My sister has owned Spins for over 30 years - she was given her first way back when they were a very unusual breed to see in the UK. She has had quite a bit of show success with hers and currently has two. I am happy to pass on her details if you would like more info.

that would be ace, thanks-is she in Scotland too?

Moobli

Visit site
we have quite a few spinones around us-need to try and track down a breeder.

love Welsh sheep dogs-saw that program with Kate Humble with the sheepdog getting those feral sheep out of woodland-amazing stuff.

Nothing against Welsh Sheepdogs, but I found that section of the programme (and a few other bits) a little laughable. From what I remember the shepherd had to tie the feet of the sheep and then carry them to the waiting trailer! A good border collie would have gathered and driven them to the trailer.

Moobli

Visit site
MoC, having just read your 1st thread about this, who on EARTH!! suggested that WS's are 'softer' than BCs? WS are bred to move stock over hundreds of miles of mountainous terrain and guard it at night, lot lot more energetic than a BC!

WS are rare as working dogs for a reason.