Difference between two control halters

Char0901

Visit site
I'm looking to try a control halter for my 2 year old. He's standing at at least 16.1 at his withers, probably 16.2/3 on his bum and he's getting a bit big for his boots!

I've found the Libbys Rope Control Halter, which looks to do exactly what I need... Then there's the Be Nice halter... pretty much exactly the same but nearly double the price?!

They look near identical to me, maybe just made out of different material, not sure if this would really affect use though.
Anyone happen to know why the huge difference in price? If it's just the name that gives it its value, I'll be getting the cheaper one!

Enfys

Visit site
I have never used either of them so I couldn't recommend or not, but, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative - get a heavier duty dog choke chain from the Pound Shop, DIY stallion chain. You may need to squeeze the rings a little, but thread it through the nose rings either over the nose if he goes up, or under the chin if he ploughs a furrow. Leadline attached to the rings.

They aren't awful, the action is very clear, they release pressure immediately. A short jerk makes them think "Yikes! That wasn't fun!" and most horses only take a time or two before an "Oi! Behave!" and a mere rattle of the chain reminds them of their manners.

I use chains on all my horses when the need arises, I have never made any of them headshy, neither have I caused any injury.

Char0901

Visit site
Thanks Enfys, very cheap option so worth a try! Will have a look for one tomorrow. I've tried putting the lead rope over his nose but I don't think it releases quick enough so he gets a bit angry and we have some impressive front leg action as he tries to get it off!
L&M I have thought about a Dually, but just feel they are quite expensive, although they do seem to hold their value when sold second hand... If I was going to spend that kind of money, then I would chose the Dually over the Be Nice (virtually the same price) but when there is something that looks to do exactly the same thing for half the price, it is quite appealing.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Get yourself some yachting rope from your local ships' chandlers and make your own rope halters. It's how you use them, not how much they cost or the fancy name. So learn pressure and release.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I have the be nice for my current youngster who was quite aggressive when he arrived and could be very opinionated. I have found this headcollar to be very effective in his training but I did the usual pressure/release training before using it as a leading tool. It puts pressure on the whole head rather than just the nose, if I was going to use a dually I'd just do as the poster above suggested with the chain.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Get yourself some yachting rope from your local ships' chandlers and make your own rope halters. It's how you use them, not how much they cost or the fancy name. So learn pressure and release.

Absolutely!

Or take £5 to your local farm stores and get a cow halter, they work just as well as the fancy ones. In fact, I prefer them as they are less harsh than some of the 'names' ones, being made of thicker rope. I really dislike some of the 'names' controller halters as they are made of extremely thin rope.

Char0901

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
He has learnt pressure and release as in he ties up well etc, he's just becoming a bit bolshy. Sometimes he walks right through me as though I'm not there and other times he decides he's not moving at all and plants his feet. Because he's so big I might as well not be on the end of his lead rope in a normal head collar. He's as nice as pie in all other aspects, he is never aggressive. It's almost like he isn't being naughty... He just wants to go in that particular direction, or not as it were... And I'm not strong enough to make him listen.
Identityincrisis, I'm thinking along the same lines as you re the Dually, I think he would be better with pressure around his head rather than just the nose. Is there any reason you chose the Be Nice one over the 'Libby' one?

Char0901

Visit site
Sorry Pearlsasinger, didn't see your post until I'd posted my last one.
I'm going to the feed place tomorrow and I think they sell quite a lot of 'farmie' stuff so will have a look :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry Pearlsasinger, didn't see your post until I'd posted my last one.
I'm going to the feed place tomorrow and I think they sell quite a lot of 'farmie' stuff so will have a look :)

I found, when I had a horse that liked to pull me along, that a cow halter and a schooling whip held in front of the chest/nose as a barrier, worked brilliantly. The same horse occasionally stopped and got stuck, the schooling whip waved around to make a noise soon got her moving again, while the halter stopped her rushing forwards.

claracanter

Visit site
I have a be nice halter. I find it works very well and I use it for loading. It does have metal pieces on head piece that put pressure on the poll if the horse resists. I'm not sure if the Libby's halter has the same. They both use pressure on the nose

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Only because I had used the be nice previously and googled the name! I didn't realise libbys made a cheaper equivalent, I'm all about saving money if it does same job

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Depends completely on the horse. My lad will still sod off in a be nice halter, but if I use the Richard Maxwell halter he's a damn sight easy to hold and hasn't managed to tank off or drag me whilst using it. Well worth the £20! However it maybe the fact he's other issues (medical and training) have been worked on.

Booboos

Visit site
I have to agree with Dry Rot (he! he! he!!). You can make a pressure head collar out of rope, the trick is how to use it. It's not the horse who has to learn pressure release, it's you who has to learn the technique and get the timing right.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Another vote for the Dually halter. Well worth the investment and something you can use as a normal halter when you don't want the control action. I am only a slight 5''3 and when we got our 17hh 5 year old ID last year he had no manners and would happily pull me around. Got the Dually, had some lessons from an IH trainer and he now generally walks like a lamb beside me. I turn both our horses out together and they both walk calmly beside me. Don't waste money trying cheap alternatives.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
The rope pressure halters are great. I pay around £5 for mine from ebay. I also gave a Monty R dually which I rate too and like as you can use it as a normal headcollar and tie up on the normal bottom ring. Please don't tie up with the rope ones as damage can be caused if a horse panics.

Alyth

Visit site
Imo it's not WHAT you use, it's HOW you use it....the basic Parelli games give you a communication language that sets you both up for success.....the horse learns to yield and you learn to ask in a whisper rather than a loud yell :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have to agree with Dry Rot (he! he! he!!). You can make a pressure head collar out of rope, the trick is how to use it. It's not the horse who has to learn pressure release, it's you who has to learn the technique and get the timing right.

I think I need to go and lie down in a darkened room…. :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
As a (relatively) newcomer to training horses, I'd timidly suggest this isn't so much a matter of the choice of head collar but in the training. The horse has learnt what no horse should ever know and that is that they are stronger than us.

Sink a fencing strainer four feet into the ground and secure it firmly as you would with a fencing strainer. Buy about 20 feet of smooth slippery yachting rope. Put a strong nylon head collar on your horse, attach rope to head collar, and put a turn or two of the rope around the post. Now encourage the horse to test it's strength against that while some intelligent person holds the end of the rope and moderates the pressure. That person can control how much pressure is applied and prevent a sudden stop. All my Highland ponies have this lesson as a normal part of their training and all lead like angels. But then I never read the book.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
REALLY :) I am shocked....

i cant tell if you are being sarcastic, however..................

i tried the dually and found it slipped round unless extremely tight, and did not release pressure quick enough.

the be nice delivers are more precise lesson due to the studs IMO and because it releases very quickly its is not overly harsh if used correctly.

i didnt just whack it on and heave away, i took the horse in question in the school and educated him in pressure and release.

so no need to be REALLY shocked....................

cavalo branco

Visit site
I've also got a "be nice" halter which I think is very effective because it tightens and releases over the whole head, not just the nose. I think people may be imagining "studs" over the poll to be as large as some hoof studs!! They are more like bumps....

Keithswife

New User
Visit site
I have just been trawling through the H&H feeds to find this post again as I wanted to say a very BIG THANK-YOU! My mare can be very bargy in a headcollar and if she decides she doesn't want to load she can get free very easily never to be caught for the rest of the day. I have tried using a chifney to no avail. She can still rear and jump about and get free. She can get into a real stressy state, as can I, when she doesn't want to load. So, I thought about a dually halter and looked for some reviews and came across your post. Bought a dog choke chain. First try yesterday - gave her a little pull so she knew what was going on and to let her feel the sensation - she walked straight into the trailer. I even managed to back her up in it, turn her around and make her stand at the top of the ramp a while before coming back down. Also, walking back to the stables we stopped and started soooooooo easily.
I thought this might be a fluke so tried again this morning. Perfect!!!!!!! I aslo managed to stop her barging out of her stable to join the other horses who had already been turned out. The look on her face was just as astonished as my own!! I am soooooooo happy!!!!!!! £3.49 the chain cost. Thank-you again from me, my friends and family (who've all been dragged around by her) and herself, Cuckoo my super Appaloosa! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx