Different Strokes for different folks.... What do you look for???

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
yeah i think my future criteria are

1/ is it at least 75% thoroughbred (preferably more)
2/ can i imagine trotting down the centreline at Badminton
3/ does it look like everything is vaguely attached in the right place

if yes, am sold

daffy44

Visit site
I dont care about colour, markings or what side the mane lies, 16.2 min as I have long legs, prefer mares, but a gelding isnt a deal breaker. Must have a good character, just a nice person, likes being with people, good brain and trys to work with you under saddle. Good feet and nice conformation, dont care about splints or cosmetic scars.

I'm a dressage rider, so the movement matters to me, I want a walk that is clear, four beat and relaxed, but not too big, a trot that pushes the hind legs up and under the body, not out behind, and a canter that pings off the floor again, with a good hindleg. I like nice balance and a horse that moves through the whole body, dont care if it can jump or not.

Then the two most important things, can I afford the horse, and do I love the horse?

Having said all that I bought the horse in my avatar (my current GP horse) on the basis of a ten second video clip on a phone when he was two weeks old, and I've never regretted it for a second.

SO1

Visit site
Given how quickly horses break I always want to make sure they are a nice person so if they become a field pet then I'll like having them around!!
Me too. I have to be able to enjoy grooming then and they have to tolerate cuddles and kisses.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I need to have that spark with the horse and if it’s not there, even if the horse ticks every box and doesn’t put a foot wrong I won’t buy.

But generally, I like something with a bit of character/quirkiness, not dangerous but a bit of spice. I like a quick brain too (these things often go together I find!). A good jump, and will take the odd missed stride here or there. Prefer something that takes me to a fence.

I’ve always bought slightly quirky projects, and my favourite thing in the world is bringing horses on and educating/reeducating them. My next horse I think will be a real youngster to back and produce myself. I was supposed to be buying a youngster when I bought Pepsi, but I fell in love with him instead (a green 7yo).

I say all of this, but my best horses I didn’t even see an advert for before I tried them, I just sat on them and never wanted to get off. What sold Pepsi to me was aiming him at a 90cm oxer, completely fluffing the stride, him saving me, then coming round again like nothing had happened. That was the moment I fell back in love with jumping and head over heels in love with him (and have continued to believe the sun shines out of him for the last 2.5yrs)

nagblagger

Visit site
While I can appreciate and admire, a smart, perfect confirmation horse I could never see myself owning one, they are too good for me. I tend to buy, or acquire,, the quirky fugly type, so obviously go for character.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Ridden wise, I like something willing to learn and infront of the leg.
Confo wise, I like good strong straight limbs, deep shoulders and tail on top!
Markings wise, I like even socks 2 backs or all 4. Symmetrical face markings. Solid colours, I'm not a fan of coloureds unless very evenly marked. Markings tend to cause optical illusions and make confo look off.
Character wise, I like cheeky and inquisitive. When it feels like they are having as much fun as you are doing what ever your doing.

But I currently have a field full of the opposite of the above.

silv

Visit site
Good conformation ie country show standard and great temperament are both equally important. I would never have an ugly horse nor an unfriendly one. Decent paces too. I really like warmblood or irish types crossed with TB. Mare or gelding is fine, not keen on piebald or orange chestnuts either. Would not want a cribber had one years ago and he wore his teeth down, despite being out 24/7. Would never consider a fresian, cleveland bay or heavy coloured hairy cob.

ihatework

Visit site
Depends on what I’m buying it for, but if buying a horse for me to ride as a keeper then historically I generally have bought with my heart and gut feel. Invariably they are sporty, forward thinking, intelligent, a little sensitive. But have to ultimately feel safe and able not to feed too heavily off nerves/confidence (mine). If I find one of those I forgive quite a lot of the other tick boxes!