different types of appaloosa (please include pics!)

AprilBlue

Visit site
can someone please explain the different types of appaloosa as to me they are just all soo confusing :(
also can you include pics please, thanks :)

AprilBlue

Visit site
Don't forget that Appaloosa is a breed, not a colour and that other breeds carry the Leopard Pattern Complex (often shortened to LP) that causes their spotted coats, eg Knabstruppers and British Spotted Ponies.

http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/ecg_basics3.html#appy

^ This link has some good photos of different colours caused by LP. :)

thanks for the link:) however I meant the colour variations and how to identify which one is which. sorry if I made that not clear enough, entirely my fault
great photo's on the link though! :)

Pigeon

Visit site
Okay, my old boy who was supposedly a Bay Varnish Roan Blanket Spot! Bit of a mouthful haha.

35789_1205910126216_5755206_n.jpg

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Ooooo another excuse to post some pics! ;) Ben is a 'snowcap' appaloosa - characterised by the white blanket but no/very few spots.

Snowcaps are usually homozygous, meaning their offspring will 100% inherit at least some appaloosa characteristics, much like fewspot appaloosa's

4b368569156c5938c0513ecefd9d0c19_zps027aeed0.jpg

littledonkey

Visit site
Ryan is a near red leopard spotted appaloosa. He's a near leopard due to the two large chestnut patches.

248709_163940980336480_7621181_n.jpg

Last edited:

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Freckles.... bay leopard
IMG_0376_zps38c4ac7e.jpg

Aramis.... Solid Bay (yes hes full Appy)
DSC00125.jpg

Harley .. chestnut with extended spotted blanket he 'coloured out' to be full leopard
colourchange.jpg

Kimera.. bay near leopard
astra008.jpg

Freckles and Missy bay leopard and near bay leopard (missy is colouring out and going full leopard)
day1small2.jpg

Moonshine bay near leopard
moony.jpg

MasterBenedict

Visit site
No input really but I'd be interested to know what 'type' of appaloosa Kyra is.

295ve51.jpg

Do you know if she is full appaloosa? I would say her characteristics show a fewspot-type colouring, although she has perhaps too many spots concentrated in one place to be a true fewspot I think. Do you know what she looked like as a foal as she may have 'coloured out' from being a blanket spot (although looking at how much grey she has, it is unlikely....)

Sorry if non of that makes sense - just my guess/random ramblings! :)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Kasper is Silver buckskin varnish with a small blanket. Due to his very very pale base colour it is hard to actually see his spots, especially on photos but they are definitely there! He has very spotty skin, white sclera and stripped hooves.

Hooves have been done with black here so you cant see his stripes.
Kasper_zps481f00c0.jpg

Can make out his spots in these shots.
kaspercolour3_zps5dd59171.jpg

kaspercolour2_zps433cda1e.jpg

The appaloosa gene showing through on his legs and his cute stripey hooves.
kaspercolour1_zps6e4d1dc7.jpg

He did however go the weirdest colour when I clipped him, completely not what I was expecting!!
kasperclipped171013_zps8d706427.jpg

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
This is the mare I am selling on behalf of a friend

She is a minimally expressed bay varnish roan - again with spotted skin, white sclera, stripped hooves and a piddly little mane!

kyconfo2_zpsacb6aabd.jpg

Love

Visit site

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Hmmmm my oldie has the striped hooves the roaming and even a few random spots on his rump and he has the sclera and a thin tail he's a welsh d x never though he might have apply somewhere lol but then I don't know.

His colouring has been described as black rabicano he was thought to be black sabino but he has a raccoon tail

texas

Visit site
From reading this website about Appaloosa bronzing, he looks like he has this due to the lovely chocolate brown colouring on his legs. Its such an interesting read, would highly recommend it to anyone!

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/lets-talk-about-appaloosa-bronzing-515331.html

This website is very informative too http://equinetapestry.com/2012/03/appaloosa-color-shifting/

Ooh that's interesting, thank you! I can't even remember what type of appaloosa my boy is, he has a few white spots in the summer. The rest of this coat is kind of roany grey in the summer, redder in the winter, with solid legs like the colour above, although his head is also mottled so not true roan. He has red bits in his mane, and a huge white bit in his tail. The red bits of the colour I'd call mahogany! Even the vet has no idea what colour he is. Passport says chestnut. Oddest looking chestnut I've ever seen lol. I would love a leopard spot!

3bh

Visit site
I have a British Spotted Pony who is as I understand, a leopard spot. She has both black and very orange/chesntut spots on her though - how do the genetics for this work?

AprilBlue

Visit site
Ryan is a near red leopard spotted appaloosa. He's a near leopard due to the two large chestnut patches.

248709_163940980336480_7621181_n.jpg

ryan is absolutely stunning! i'd love to have a horse such uniquely marked as him!

so reading your replies (and doing a bit of research) I found that there were 6 types of appaloosa:
blanket
leopard
few spot
varnish
snowflake
frost

what are the characteristic differences between all these?