Difficult decision, what would you do?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I often read posts about horses with mobility issues wondering why so many people don't understand that arthritis is not just a mechanical stiffness. Any human with it will tell you that no painkiller will remove it completely, and it hurts like hell. Horses with mobility issues due to arthritis are in pain. Retired or in work, if they are stiff, they are in pain.

OP in your situation, I would put your old horse down, no question.

I get this but if the OPs financial situation hadn't changed would the horse have been PTS? Probably not otherwise the question wouldn't have been raised. The leads me to believe the OP doesn't believe he's in pain.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I get this but if the OPs financial situation hadn't changed would the horse have been PTS? Probably not otherwise the question wouldn't have been raised. The leads me to believe the OP doesn't believe he's in pain.

It doesn't matter what the OP's financial situation is. A horse which is stiff with arthritis is in pain. If her lack of finances has made her look that hard fact right in the face, then that's a good thing, in my view. I would, regardless of finances, have it put to sleep. I don't understand the thought process that it is doing a horse a favour to retire it to live in constant pain.

Leandy

Visit site
Horse 1 I have had for 4 years. He's 19-year-old TB with arthritis. He's great for riding off road, but terrible in traffic. He can be schooled but only in walk and trot really as he struggles with canter in the school. He is too stiff to cope with a WT dressage test. He has a tendency to go lame in the summer for a couple of months and drops weight drastically in the winter. That said, he's a lovely horse and generally healthy apart from the mobility issues.

What would I do? I do think you may be kidding yourself here because you love him. These are not the characteristics of a healthy horse. He sounds too unsound to be in work at all to me so I would, at the very least, retire this one and, in your circumstances, if I could not afford to keep both having retired this one, I would have him put to sleep. Indeed, I might do this anyway depending how unsound he actually is. I agree with those above who say "stiff" = pain. A stiff horse is a lame horse and a lame horse is in pain. It may of course be at a low level and tolerable, but it is pain, and will only get worse. If I could only afford to keep one horse, I would not keep an old retired one if it meant I had to give up the good rideable one I wanted to continue riding and enjoying. Life is too short.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
It doesn't matter what the OP's financial situation is. A horse which is stiff with arthritis is in pain. If her lack of finances has made her look that hard fact right in the face, then that's a good thing, in my view. I would, regardless of finances, have it put to sleep. I don't understand the thought process that it is doing a horse a favour to retire it to live in constant pain.

Yes if he's in pain I would too and yes maybe the change in situation has made OP see what she couldn't before. Or it's easier to have him PTS if she focuses on the negatives and he's not actually that stiff and in pain? Only OP knows.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I guess the question is, OP if the tb is stiff and on and off lame how come you haven't put him to sleep previously? Do you believe he's in pain?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is perfectly possible to retire a horse and medicate it so that you aren't requiring it to live in constant pain.

I do think it's very hard to tell from the written word how much pain any horse might be in as it is translated through someone.
Whether you want to pay for retirement livery or not is a different matter, as is whether it would suit the horse or not.

The other issue is quite how drastic this change in financial situation is, and how long term as to whether it might be sensible to sell the functional one. I know you say you need it to keep your mind of things but in some situations that just wouldn't be viable - obviously we don't know the ins and outs of the situation though, only you do.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is perfectly possible to retire a horse and medicate it so that you aren't requiring it to live in constant pain.

I do think it's very hard to tell from the written word how much pain any horse might be in as it is translated through someone.
Whether you want to pay for retirement livery or not is a different matter, as is whether it would suit the horse or not.

The other issue is quite how drastic this change in financial situation is, and how long term as to whether it might be sensible to sell the functional one. I know you say you need it to keep your mind of things but in some situations that just wouldn't be viable - obviously we don't know the ins and outs of the situation though, only you do.

We do know that OP says she will be able to afford one horse. OP has actually given quite a lot of info, there do seem to be rather a lot of posters second-guessing what she 'actually meant' rather than taking her at her word.

ihatework

Visit site

Could apply the same to humans. Would save the NHS a fortune if anyone with mild arthritis was lined up and shot.

As it is with all my niggles I still find I have a quality of life, especially if I keep moving and take low dose painkiller.

OP, that was me being facetious - you have to do what is right in your circumstances and it is not wrong to PTS.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's the luxury option if you are keeping the saleable horse too, I think it's something that people often feel differently about and I don't think there is a 'right' answer. I know plenty of people who have kept and provided for their retirees over providing for a rideable horse and plenty that have opted to do the opposite as riding is more important for them. There isn't a right answer on that so long as people are happy with their decisions.

Chianti

Visit site
Hi :)
I haven't posted on here for a while, but I really could do with some advice and maybe ideas if poss.
My financial situation is going to change drastically in the near future. I currently have two horses and I'm not going to be able to keep them both, I won't be able to afford it. My problem is what to do for the best.

Horse 1 I have had for 4 years. He's 19-year-old TB with arthritis. He's great for riding off road, but terrible in traffic. He can be schooled but only in walk and trot really as he struggles with canter in the school. He is too stiff to cope with a WT dressage test. He has a tendency to go lame in the summer for a couple of months and drops weight drastically in the winter. That said, he's a lovely horse and generally healthy apart from the mobility issues.

Horse 2 is my riding horse and is perfectly fine in all ways.

The obvious choice would be to sell horse 2, as he is more saleable. However, this leaves me with a horse I can't really ride or do anything with (we dont have off road hacking nearby). I'm going to need something to take my mind off things and help keep me sane, the best option for me would really be to keep horse 2.

If you were in this position, what would you do? I'm looking for ideas and any options I haven't considered.

Thank you

I think I'd struggle to put horse 1 to sleep at this point as you say he's still capable of being ridden. If he can canter on a hack and still be schooled in lower paces then he sounds like he's still got some life left in him. Can he get down to sleep and to have a roll? Does he enjoy light schooling? Lots of horses drop off in the winter - even if they're 100% sound- they need lots of hay and good feed. Is it possible for you to move livery yards so he can hack out and then you could look for a sharer for him. Have you thought about putting horse 2 on loan to a college where he'd be looked after and you could then have him back when horse 1 has to be PTS. I had one on retirement for 10 years and when I was very stressed I found looking after her and seeing her look well and happy really helped. If you're a good rider you may be able to find things to ride for free if you miss riding that much.

maya2008

Visit site
I have a ‘horse 1’ (20yo TB with arthritis-caused intermittent lameness and weight issues - she is retired). Until she decided to turn a corner this spring, I had decided to pts this autumn. She is currently looking sleek and happy, bossing the others around and enjoying life, but it is summer now. We shall see. She knows she’s on borrowed time - has spent the last few months teaching her ‘second in command’ all her bossy ways!

So even without the financial pressure, I would pts horse 1. I made that decision earlier this year for another oldie, and it was the right choice. Always hard to make though. Cost was approx £700 for pts and disposal.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I'd struggle to put horse 1 to sleep at this point as you say he's still capable of being ridden. If he can canter on a hack and still be schooled in lower paces then he sounds like he's still got some life left in him. Can he get down to sleep and to have a roll? Does he enjoy light schooling? Lots of horses drop off in the winter - even if they're 100% sound- they need lots of hay and good feed. Is it possible for you to move livery yards so he can hack out and then you could look for a sharer for him. Have you thought about putting horse 2 on loan to a college where he'd be looked after and you could then have him back when horse 1 has to be PTS. I had one on retirement for 10 years and when I was very stressed I found looking after her and seeing her look well and happy really helped. If you're a good rider you may be able to find things to ride for free if you miss riding that much.

But, imo, this horse isn't 'capable of being ridden'. I have had one retired for 12 years but if I had had to choose between keeping her in retirement and selling another much loved, healthy horse, the retired horse would have been pts. Fortunately my horse was kept at home, so it was easy.