Difficult Hormonal Ex Racehorse

lucydvs

New User
Visit site
I have a 7 year old Tb that I have had for nearly 4 years. I have never rushed her and I know her history back to a baby and I used to work with racehorses.
She is extremely hormonal and stroppy for a lot of the year round. I have discounted ill fitting tack, back problems and teeth and she's never been ill treated. In fact she's a princess. She is just difficult!!!!
She is not always a complete cow but I seem to have more bad days than good. She nips and kicks when i'm doing her girth or rugs up which I am very gentle about. She becomes increasingly nappy when out on hacks which when challenged rears and spins. She bucks during canter when schooling. (This is not terrible and she doesnt do it a shows) Headshakes and has her ears flat back at points during schooling. She takes a good 40 minutes to work her in and the work can be good but not consistant. I must point out this is not all the time.
She gets very heavily in season and has been known to rear and ping around on the end of the lead rope when lead in and out.
She seems to evade all the hard work I put in and I have had lessons etc so I know its nothing i'm doing wrong. I know there is potential in there and i'm determined not to give up. I've tried hormone supplements which don't seem to help and there seems to be conflicting advice on here about those.
I've heard there is hormone screening you can have with the vets has anyone have an experience with this or even any suggestions?!!
I'm getting to the end of my tether and its so soul destroying I don't know what else I can do.

Dirtymare

Visit site
This maybe a real long shot, but a friend has a mare who was displaying similar behaviour. The mare's ovaries were checked/scanned and it was found she had large cysts on one of them. These have since been removed and she is now "normal".
Maybe have a chat with your vet.
Hope you get your mare sorted

Archiepoo

Visit site
have a google for ulcers in horses,lots of your problems including extreme irritability and girthing issues are common symptoms tho. :)

lucydvs

New User
Visit site
Thanks I am going to speak to my vet and see what they think. I hope it is something that's diagnosed and she's not just a pain in the arse.

Archiepoo

Visit site
i would think there must be a reason for her to be like this and even if this just eliminates possibilities its definatly worth the chat to the vet and any investigations .good luck let us know how you get on:D

lucydvs

New User
Visit site
I have called the vets and they have recommended a scan to rule out ovarian cysts etc. Its next Wednesday so will keep you posted. Thanks

maggiesmum

Visit site
If the ovary scan is clear and a gastro scope is clear don't rule out colonic ulcers, my tb had pretty much all the symptoms you've mentioned, after being treated for colonic ulcers (different treatment to gastric) he's a transformed character and all the unpleasant symptoms are gone.

TallulahBright

Visit site
My girlie has been put on regumate after a series of issues, last one involved me getting ditched and dislocating thumb. Her ovaries were the sorest the vet hash ever seen so all the behaviour was explained.. Poor girl. Hope you get some answers.

twinkle

Visit site
Def scope if clear ovarys as this sounds very sim to my friends horse who had grade 3 ulcers and he didn't have any weightloss. Hope you get her sorted soon