Digital pulse.

benson21

Visit site
I am nnow paranoid about laminitis! Don now has a grazing muzzle, soaked hay, but I have brought him intoday and felt his feet and his hooves were slightly warm. How should the didital pulse feel? Fast? Slow? I could feel it, but it felt quite slow.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
It is not an increase in speed you are checking for, it is an increase in strength. A faint hard to find digital pulse is good, a strong (throbbing) one is bad.

Supertrooper

Visit site
It's a strong throbbing pulse that you're looking for, all horses have DP's and you can noticeably feel it with laminitis :-(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
best thing i did was ask my vet where and what to feel for. she said best place is inside fetlock. where the arteries run and un ping them with fingers. ditto anove. its the strength not speed

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like to wrap my fingers around the back of the pastern when I check for pulses. It's the easiest way if you have a fidgety horse as I do. ;) Don't forget to take the DP when the horse is at rest, if he/she's been bombing about then the DP will be raised due to the exercise.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you google it there's a great site with dissected legs showing all the places you can find DP's so you can chose which one you find easiest to find .