Dilema!!!!

seaview

Visit site
3 year old home from being broken so she was to be put out on her hols,
she doesnt 'do' out overnight like her mummy so after the first few nights of her jumping out of field to go back to stables we have it sorted that she goes out everyday and in at night!

Field like a mud bath at the moment never seen it so bad, actually one of the other horses was driking from the mud!!!

Mum came into me when I was mucking out last night worried about her leg! She has really horrific mud fever! Its red raw, brought her in washed it down, dried it off then applied the usual creams / sprays to it!

One problem though she is a big girlie we ahve nowhere that she can go out for a run about thats not muddy!! and I dont know what to do!

I could lunge her daily but the point was she was home for a break and she has only been off about 3 weeks!!

She is the sweetest person but would get upset if in 247 however this is obviously annoying her as she has just been standing at the gate the last coulpe of days!

What do you suggest I should do?????

Nat
x

LauraBR

Visit site
Is there anywhere more suitable you could move her to?

I would be wary of turning her out at all if her mud fever is as nasty as you describe
crazy.gif

Sounds a tricky situation, hope you manage to get sorted.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I use the anti-mud fever turn out boots and they really do work.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you wouldn't be able to use those over a nasty existing case of mud fever
confused.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
udder salve, cling film and bandages....turnout
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious... how do you secure the bandages well enough to stay on in boggy wet muddy fields? Don't the bandages get soaked, muddy, heavy and uncomfortable?
confused.gif

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Mud fever is a nightmare at present .I have had 4 courses of antibiotics. Cream from vet [ 2 tubs] camerosa,dermisol, sudocream, mud fever spray and for the past week kept him in and exercised twice a day but legs heal then break out again.
Today I have been recommended equine america fung..something anyway they had sold out at local saddler but will try elsewhere tomorrow

I HATE MUDFEVER

siennamum

Visit site
Could you lead her out for exercise a few days a week to keep her happy on stabled days. I am really anti youngsters being in but really feel for you, sounds a horrendous situation.

Petrie

Visit site
I would try the barrier cream, cling film, then turnout boots over the top, see if that works.

I wouldn't turn out in bandages incase they came adrift.

What a nightmare though, poor you!

seaview

Visit site
I dont mind as I will do whatever to get her sorted but my poor baby is hurting!!!
she is however a very good patient (which you would be as suprised as i am if you met her mummy!!)
I am going tomorrow to see a place for grass livery for her but there is a big barn which is concreted if I know my pair if I put a load of hay in they wont venture out of the barn!
May put her out with Mum as she HATES mud and wont go near it unless totally unavoidable! plus they are at the 'friends' stage which is nice cos they can go out together and not be silly!!

Thanks everyone for your help,
ANother post said fucibet sp cream so she was plastered in that last night!

Nat
xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
As I keep banging on - udder salve (not cream) is just fantastic stuff. Get her in and clean her legs off properly. Let them dry overnight, and then absolutely cover her legs in it. It sounds as if she's going to have to be kept in for a few days if they're that bad, and you also need the vet if it looks like they are infected. It's important to keep applying the salve daily. Once they have started looking better turn her out in a much drier environment. If you don't have access to that then I would consider sending her back to where she was being broken in if they have better turnout.

Turnout boots will only make the legs much worse as they will chaff the already broken and sore skin.