Dilemma - just don't know what to do

Jasper151

Visit site
Hi All,

This could be long, but please bear with me...

I help out at a local rescue centre as and when I can, which tends to be one day at the weekend. They have very kindly offered me one of the horses to be 'mine' with the aim for him to be back in riden work this Spring/Summer. They will still do the day to day care etc, as unfortunately the reason I don't own my own at the moment is down to lack of time and a lot of other commitments.

The horse is a 21 year old connemara gelding. He has been out of riden work for a few years. The only reason he was put into the rescue was due to his old owner not being able to afford the livery. He was rode a couple of times but did chuck someone off, since then he has effectively retired. He is a horse that needs to have a run before anyone gets on, this didn't happen hence to chucked the rider.

We haven't had the best of luck recently, the awful weather has meant that he has been kept in since just before Christmas, as the paddock is a boggy mess. He has had foot root die to the mud he walks through when taken to the pen for mucking out. He obviously had tooth ache as one of his teeth has come out. My dilemma is his body condition, he seems to be getting more ribby and hippy as the weeks progress. He's not thin as such as he has a belly, just nothing over his ribs and hips. He has also started pooing less yet still eating the same amount. He seems happy in himself and still has his cheeky personality. The rescue don't seem overly bothered and I will admit I am a worrier when it comes to animals and I do panic too early sometimes!

As he has not been out in months, he has lost so much muscle. Apparently he has always been a bit ribby but will display signs of laminitis if he gets feds more. I was comparing photos and the change in his condition is quite drastic. When he is allowed out and gets some muscle back, this could change but I'm just not experienced enough to know.

As mentioned, the rescue don't seem too concerned and do struggle with funds so I don't think they would get a vet out. Should I offer to pay for a vet? Cushings has crossed my mind numerous times so I do try and get him tested? My caring nature wants to get the vet out but my partner (probably quite rightly) is telling me that I may be taken advantage of. Bearing in mind I see the horse once a week, give him a groom and cuddles etc.

My plan was to slowly bring him back into hacking, but the weather and lack of a school has stalled this. Now the weather is picking up it would be ideal, but I'm worried for his health. I ride another horse so I don't mind if I never ride him.

Apologies if this is a but jumbled - it reflects my brain with this situation! I guess I am asking what would you do?

Many thanks if you actually got this far and any advice is most welcome :)

merlin12

Visit site
Difficult situation. You can some times get a free Cushing's test done by a vet though you will have to pay for a call out. Call local vet and ask how much it will cost. I would really hope that all rescue centres can actually afford to pay for vets to attend when needed. You sound like a caring person trying to help this horse.

indiat

Visit site
If you are happy to pay a vet, I would get the vet out. He's an old lad so a quick once over would be a good idea anyway. Although I thought most practices offered free tests for Cushings, if this is your main concern. As for being taken advantage of, you can always say no if the rescue starts to think you will pay all the vet bills! I would be worried about his condition, all my natives stayed in good condition even as oldies as long as they had enough food. We had a 30 year old pony that was a ****** to shift weight from!

ETS: I also would be concerned if a rescue was cutting corners on vet bills, although I appreciate that this is not what you are saying.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
To be honest I would step back.

This is not because you can't help the horse, but more because the horse will never be yours, so you will never have control, so it is like a big stick to beat yourself with.

If you have spare money then by all means have a vet, if the charity is willing.

It has not been a cold winter, so the horse should not look poor. No riding and no turnout does not sound good.

In some ways you would be better to adopt the horse, so you can take it to a livery yard and have some control over decision making, but if you are not in a financial position to do this then I would, as I said, step away, for my own sanity.

If things get so bad then you could, in fact, report the charity to the BHS or WHW. I would not bother with the RSPCA. They will visit and if the horses need more attention they will be able to make recommendations. If they horses are OK they will do nothing, and your name will not be divulged.

gnubee

Visit site
They can look quite poor quite fast when they start to lose top line through no exercise, so if he has a bit of a belly and has been recently wormed/ counted that on its own wouldn't be too concerning. Has this horse had any exercise in the past few months? TBH with the weight loss, no turnout at all and inability/ unwillingness to call a vet it sounds like the pony needs rescuing from the 'rescue'. It is not your responsibility and if you get financially involved in this position it will be hard for you as ultimately you still have no control over what happens to the horse. If you can try to stay detached from it, I would do the best you can for him (which may be helping to back him again if he has sufficient top line or may be calling RSPCA- you are best placed to judge that). If you can get him fit again, would they then find him a loan home? That sounds like a good outcome for him. If not it might at least give them a way of keeping him exercised through winter next year.

Last edited:

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would stay well clear of this horse. He has already thrown someone off and I would suggest that he is likely to do the same to you. If you would like to ride go to a good local riding school where you will be on safe and sensible horses under qualified supervision. There is a reason why this horse is no longer ridden and is in a rescue centre!

Jasper151

Visit site
If I had the time and funds I would have moved him in a shot. The other 2 horses there are fine - one is far too fat and the other seems to be in a pretty good condition. I think they are a bit overwhelmed with all the animals, underfunded and an element of wanting to help them all.

I think I will try and get him turned out asap - the field is drying up and we have no rain forecast this week so hopefully by the weekend it may just be dry enough. I sympathies with them, I couldn't walk through the field safely so it would have been dangerous to have horses running around, but it has been a long time now.

He has had no exercise since before Christmas - I was allowed to take him for a walk around the paddock a couple of weeks ago and he bolted away (to be honest I let him, so he could have a run and a roll :eek:)

I will find out about his worming, I got told it is done but I will push for dates to ensure it is up to date.

When he was in work I have been told he is a lovely ride, he is just one of those that needs his turnout to be sane. I will start slowly and be as protected as possible if I decide to try.

He pulls at my heart. I know which vet practice they use so I may at least find out their prices.

Auslander

Visit site
This doesnt sound like a decent, reputable rescue centre. If you were to tell me you lived near me, I would know exactly which rescue centre it is, and I would tell you to steer well clear.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
foot rot would not be caused by walking through mud, assuming thrush it is more likely caused by standing in wet bedding.

It doesn't sound like much of a rescue to me! No leg stretch at all since Christmas :eek3:

gothdolly

Visit site
I think you are a lovely caring person but are probably going to end up heartbroken and out of pocket with this horse :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
This doesnt sound like a decent, reputable rescue centre. If you were to tell me you lived near me, I would know exactly which rescue centre it is, and I would tell you to steer well clear.

My thoughts exactly. The whole story has me on high alert. They want to give you a crocked old horse that sounds like it needs rescued from the rescue.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
WWID? I'd adopt him from the charity, put him on full livery somewhere and continue to visit him weekly, have a vet check his teeth, worm him, see how he is with turnout and bring him back into work if his health allows, then find someone else to take him on and take over the costs.

If he can't come back to work your chances of finding someone to take him on are slim, so in that instance I'd give him the summer then PTS. If he turns out to need extensive or expensive veterinary treatment which you can't afford, I'd PTS.

If I couldn't afford to keep a horse even in the short term, I'd call either BHS or WHW out to see him and tell them all the concerns.

Jasper151

Visit site
It's not an equine rescue, they have many different species. I really wish I could take him but I just don't have the funds at the moment, which is why I don't have my own. I genuinely believe they think they are doing the right thing but are maybe rather misguided.

Thanks for all your input, it's greatly appreciated. I've got some serious thinking to do.

maree t

Visit site
I would also say that if you are going to try and bring him back into work you wont get very far riding once a week . He wont be able to build muscle like that very easily esp as he is older . I hope you find a solution