Dilemma - what do i do?

miamibear

Visit site
Last night a new livery on the yard a teenage girl came up to me and asked me if Red used to belong to the owner of a riding school round here. She said the owner used to have a horse called Red who looked really like Red and he was about 5 when she knew him. He was for her use only and was shown very sucessfully to championship level.

I said i have no idea because i dont know his past. Its really bugging me now, do i ring them and see what i can find out.

He has quite a few scars now which tells me either its not the same horse or something has happened to him in the mean time when she sold him on.

The person i bought him off said all she knew about him was that he was given to her to pay off a livery debt so she didnt want him for herself she wanted to sell him on. She didnt know what he had done or anything and i got him quite cheap!

Do i ring and possibly open up a whole can of worms or leave it in blissfull happiness as i am now.

I do have an invoice for him so ownership is mine - right? Just in case someone came protesting he was still theirs - i know thats unlikely but thinking about every evenutality!!

The curiosity is kind of getting the better of me though.

What would you do guys - HELP!!
crazy.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Ok maybe you are right, just leave it thats best and hope my curiosity doesnt kill me
grin.gif

Anyway this riding school is so close and the horsey community is so close that if it is him someone will start noticing its him at some point and then they will come to me and not the other way round.

Thanks for knocking some sense in to me!! I needed it!

The last thing i need is Red was scared of that or he didnt like this because he hasnt put a foot wrong so far and i dont want to start expecting him to do so!!

brightmount

Visit site
All I can say is if there was anything dodgy, he wouldn't have come to you under the same name. (Assuming he had no passport if you don't know his history, so no need to keep the name.)

I still think I wouldn't pursue it though.

JAK

Visit site
Leave it be....you may find out something you didn't want to hear!
Red is yours now, you're happy with him & he's happy with you! Let the past lie!

I have heard one or two rather unpleasant stories about Cob Blob & one in particular was quite worrying, so I wish I'd never been told about it tbh!
Sometimes it's better not to know, though I doubt with as nice a sounding horse as your boy, there'll be anything nasty lurking but even so.......!
smile.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Agreed
grin.gif

It makes sense, i was excited when the girl said that because i thought i could find out more but then i thought about it and i dont think its worth it TBH.

Whatever he has that isnt quite right (theres bound to be something) i want to find out myself and not be told and therefore expect it.

Good thinking batman!!
grin.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A bill of sale does not automatically make the horse yours. For example if the animal has been stolen & subsequently been sold to you then although you have parted with money & have a bill the actual ownership still stays with the original loser so you could actually lose out. (I'm not saying this is the case here)

Just because someone thinks the recognise a horse does not mean that they actually do. You may not know anything about his past but do you really need to? If he's had a bad past or a good past does it really matter? he is with you now. You love him, care for him, & he is part of your world now. Leave it be, why start chasing after information that you don't really need, you will gain nothing. Continue to enjoy him as you have been.
smile.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Good point. Why do i need to know his past, he is who he is i suppose!!

Thanks for the advice re the sale thing, i honestly dont think this would be the case but you just never know do you!!