Dilemma....

Bedlam

Visit site
So - we have a fantastic horse that needs a new home. Not tooo worried about talking about him on here because he's advertised on H&H?

Diffilculty is that we've rehabbed him from an SI injury. He's 100% now and fully fit - ready for anything. He's an eventer that has gone up to 2* and that we bought for JRN. Daughter is now in the throes of A levels and vet school applications and we need to move him on, but he's done nothing since the event last summer that he pulled up at because of the SI injury.

We've spent 7 months rehabbing him and he's great now but we have no time to get him out competing again. We've advertised him as a riding horse at 3K and had a few people come to try him - not one of them could ride him so this is obviously not the way to go.

We don't want to make money on him (we're obviously losing heaps at anything less than 5 figures) but just wondered whether if we put the price up we'd get better riders?

Are there people out there ready to take on horses that have heaps of talent but are 13yrs old and needing a bit of consideration too? People that mybe would like to compete at BE90 & 100 without going to Grassroots (horse has too many points)?

ecrozier

Visit site
I think there are people out there like that - I know a few - but a lot of them might not be the standard of rider he sounds like he needs? I would try a completely honest advert tho and see how you get on?

be positive

Visit site
At £3k he is going to be attracting people looking for a first horse or someone possibly thinking they will sell on, we have a 14 year old Intermediate horse currently doing 90/100 opens as a schoolmaster for a teenager, I would not even have phoned about yours when looking, far too cheap I would expect a problem.:D
The PC website, with an honest ad at £5k may be the place to go he can still do PC Intermediate, I think, there is always a market if he is genuine and reasonably easy to ride.
The other option is if he is fit enough to get an experienced rider possibly his previous rider, to give him a run, even an unaff just to prove he is ok.

TarrSteps

Visit site
If you could get someone to take him around an event, or even a spot of sj, it would probably be a good idea. I'd agree you've probably not really aimed him at your target schoolmaster market BUT it's a lot to ask people to spend that money on faith the horse will be fine to compete again and suitable to do that job

seabsicuit2

Visit site
A SI injury wouldn't bother me they are easy to maintain when you know how-but expensive. But I guess for a lot of people it would be sounding a death knell- and vets don't help!
I guess you've just got to keep perservering in looking for a new owner there would be someone out there.
Maybe ask a good young rider/a good rider to take him on,compete a bit at their own cost& then sell with a% cut of the sale? There are people out there that would do this I think-it's just choosing/finding the right person

dieseldog

Visit site
So - we have a fantastic horse that needs a new home. Not tooo worried about talking about him on here because he's advertised on H&H?

I once got an infraction for linking my horses H&H advert to a post... even though I pointed out it was advertised with them, they weren't happy.

Good luck with selling him.