Dillemma - what would you do?

bensababy

Visit site
Ok - dillemma being i have a 17 year old NF pony, just been diagnosed with Cushings and after a attack of Laminitis has rotation of the pedal bones. He has just come back into light work and is sound, hes ridden in GMAC boots and is not shod. Now the problem i have is i would like to loan him - but past bad history with sending him out on loan is holding me back. The other issue i have is that hes only 13.1hh but is too strong and a little bit naughty for a child - but at the same time i want a weigth restriction on him due to his Pedal bone rotation.

What is the likelihood of me finding someone wanting to take on my pony? and as you can imagine - the drugs and restrictions that follow him around?

Ladyinred

Visit site
Oh I expect someone will take him on. Whether or not they look after him and prevent another laminitis attack is a whole differrent kettle of fish.

Not worth the risk if he is any sort of special to you.

SVMel

Visit site
Oh I expect someone will take him on. Whether or not they look after him and prevent another laminitis attack is a whole differrent kettle of fish.

Ditto. I wouldn't be happy entrusting him to anyone else with problems that need such careful management.

Why do you want to loan him out? Is it that you want the space/time/opportunity to get something else to ride?

Last edited:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Spot on I think unless you are prepared to pay for any supplements and treatments he might need yourself. I don't think you can expect others to take on his veterinary costs for you. If it's desperate that he goes somewhere because you can't afford him any longer then I would be more inclined to put down with his problems and attitude; at least then you'd know he was safe.

bensababy

Visit site
Ditto. I wouldn't be happy entrusting him to anyone else with problems that need such careful management.

Why do you want to loan him out? Is it that you want the space/time/opportunity to get something else to ride?

He is very special to me, hence why the issue. I tried loaning him out before with strict instructions and within 2 weeks they went to the extreme and starved him.

The reason i am doing it, im too big for him now and would like someone to have a bit of fun with him and spend more time with him and to generally keep him amused, he loves being ridden. Of course a bit of financial help would be good but not a huge issue. I just dont know how big a problem some people might have with all the baggage - bless him. I guess i just have to dip my toe in and see what options i could have.

Thank you for all your advice.

bensababy

Visit site
Spot on I think unless you are prepared to pay for any supplements and treatments he might need yourself. I don't think you can expect others to take on his veterinary costs for you. If it's desperate that he goes somewhere because you can't afford him any longer then I would be more inclined to put down with his problems and attitude; at least then you'd know he was safe.

Thank you for your honesty, if it was finances then i would totally agree with you, but they are not a big issue for me, i wouldnt ever expect anyone to cover the mountain of costs, just finding someone that is willing to take on the added extras but at the same time be capable.. dont know if i am looking for Gold Dust or not.

ThePony

Visit site
I think you could find someone to loan him, but I think it would be a risk with him needing careful looking after, and I would also expect that you would still need to put your hand in your pocket for the extra costs his health issues would incur.. You would be putting an awful lot more trust in someone. I would avoid it myself unless you can insist he stays with you so you can keep a very close eye on him. He would also need a more experienced owner to manage him which I think would also reduce the number of suitable people you might find.

maxapple

Visit site
I think you'd be very unlikely to find a loaner - due to rising hay / bedding / everything else costs there are lots of totally sound ponies availble which would be much more attractive to someone looking.

What about a part loaner (or 2!) so you could look after him still but could have someone to enjoy riding him. x

bensababy

Visit site
I think you'd be very unlikely to find a loaner - due to rising hay / bedding / everything else costs there are lots of totally sound ponies availble which would be much more attractive to someone looking.

What about a part loaner (or 2!) so you could look after him still but could have someone to enjoy riding him. x

I think thats going to be my option, have someone come to where he currently is 2-3 days a week and ride - its mainly all i want for him is just to enjoy his life. Hes a beautiful little pony and not a bad bone in him, hes just cheeky.

Thank you everyone.

Persephone

Visit site
I think thats going to be my option, have someone come to where he currently is 2-3 days a week and ride - its mainly all i want for him is just to enjoy his life. Hes a beautiful little pony and not a bad bone in him, hes just cheeky.

Thank you everyone.

I think this sounds absolutely the best thing. You would never forgive yourself if he relapsed.

SVMel

Visit site
Also, had you thought about breaking him to drive? If you want him to carry on working because he loves it, but have trouble getting anyone to ride, this would enable you to work him.

I know you have a jockey 2/3 times a week atm, just a thought for the future.