Diluted Jeyes fluid for treating mites?

myhorsefred

Visit site
Was talking to my grandfather tonight (old fashioned type horseman, old ways etc).

We were talking about when my cob had mites last year. I used various insecticidal shampoos, and in the end the vet gave me switch, which I used two weeks apart. Anyway, the whole episode cost about £60 in total.

My grandfather was shocked at the cost. He said he used to treat his horses with diluted Jeyes fluid. A bucket of water with about half a cup of Jeyes added. Dunk the foot for a minute, and no more mites. I'm not sure I want to do this!

Does anyone else use diluted Jeyes fluid to get rid of mites?

thanks.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
never had mites but if i did, i don't think i would be treating it with jeyes fluid. If i have used it in the past i always use rubber gloves so it doesn't get on my skin. would it not be nippy?

Beausmate

Visit site
I had cause to dunk my hands in a bucket of Jeyes every day for a few weeks when I worked in a racing yard. One of 'my' horses had ringworm and the grooming brushes had to be given a good soaking every day. Only thing it did was to make my skin photosensitive, I had a pair of rather snazzy sunburn gloves for most of the summer! :rolleyes:

Killed the ringworm though and I got over it. If you do decide to do it, patch test first and make sure you rinse off the legs really, really well!

indie999

Visit site
If you mean harvest mites I would get a nice local pharmacist to order you in some big bottles of Benzyl benzoate and also plaster in a moisturiser ie Hydromol (provided its not sunny as dont want to end up sun burn ..if you have clipped ie feathers out) or udder cream to soothe the little bore holes.

This is what worked for me and if possible to keep feathers from touching the ground keep them cliipped off floor does help.

Jeyes fluid is very strong stuff and I cant imagine putting it on skin?? I think it might burn

Fii

Visit site
Yes years ago Jeyes was used for all sorts of thing like this on animals.
Would I use it on an animal NO!!! Its bloody lethal stuff!!
We were told to stop using it at a sanctuary i used to work at, because it can kill/make cats really ill!!
It can be used as a weed killer, thats got to tell you something!

Kaylum

Visit site
I wouldn't, the reason it stopped the ringworm being passed around is just that, it disinfects, it's better to see your vet get some frontline, the injection, and pig oil and try to keep the horse out as much as possible, or change its bedding to shavings or something other than straw.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Frontline.
Worked a treat on my Welsh D who was so badly affected his legs, sheath and tummy were covered in yellow seeping gunge. Never looked back after using Frontline on a regular basis.

myhorsefred

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

Just to clarify though, my horse hasn't got mites.

We were just talking about when he had mites last year, and what my grandad had used in years gone by.

I was just wondering if anyone else had used it, you know, before we had the treatments of today's era, such as frontline spray, coopers etc.

pgpeal

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I work with Jeyes; there is a website for Jeyes Fluid which has a lot of (we hope helpful) advice. It's here - http://www.jeyesfluid.com/products.htm

You'll see there is a video about using Jeyes Fluid in the equestrian world. A very dilute solution of Jeyes Fluid is recommended for washing surfaces.

As with all products like this, please follow the instructions!

Cheers.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Back then they were limited to things to treat it with.

Now I definitely woudn't use it, was in my local Robinsons the other day and there were multiple things to choose from

annaellie

Visit site
I personally wouldn't use it on a animal but saying that I know people who have. About 10 years ago I went to look at a youngster, my friend drove me to yard it turned out that she worked for her for a small period of time and the lady selling youngsters bred from her stallion and when finished washed his bits in jeyes :( I was so shocked made me cringe the thought of it