Dirty "male bits" - ya know what I mean!

moneypit1

Visit site
Why has my horse got the dirtiest willy? When we canter it makes that hallow noise so out comes the sheath cleaner AGAIN! It doesn't work to well to be honest so I have tried baby oil! Any suggestions as to why it gets so gross? (have to say he keeps it well hidden, have noticed that there is never much to see unless he is having a wee)!

moneypit1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does he live out?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is out all day from 7am until 4pm when he is stabled overnight? Does that make a difference then?
confused.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
Hmm cant really help im afraid because my boys let everything hang out as soon as you so much as look at them!
tongue.gif

Is it very gunky, could he have an infection?

monica987

Visit site
I *think* that horses seem to get a bit more gunked up if they are out because it is grease and horses tend to be more greasy if they live out dont they? And with mud etc flying up there
wink.gif

moneypit1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm cant really help im afraid because my boys let everything hang out as soon as you so much as look at them!
tongue.gif

Is it very gunky, could he have an infection?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's always been like it since Ive had him (7 mths). It is quite yukky yes, he is very shy about revealing it and as soon as hes done his business its "up periscope"! I think it may be because it is so tucked away, the other geldings always have a bit showing but not Fly Boy. (perhaps I should re name him "Shy Boy")! Seriously though, I don't think there is an infection but will get my vet to check it out next time she is on yard.

Blizzard

Visit site
LMAO at up periscope!
grin.gif

I just wash Lance's wih some warm water and a sponge, just to get the gunk off. I dont really like putting chemicals down there.

moneypit1

Visit site
It's even funnier when I see it out and lunge at it to give it a clean. I either end up with it firmly held and nothing to clean it with so have to let go, or miss completely and look a right prat with Fly extremely affronted at the infringement of his dignity!

Mollymillymoo

Visit site
lol aww poor fly! I've been wondering about cleaning 'bits' how often should they be done? I can never get coco's, just like you
tongue.gif
And I didn't know that hollow sound comes from a dirty sheath, I always thought it was down to the way they were gelded...

isabella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
lol aww poor fly! I've been wondering about cleaning 'bits' how often should they be done? I can never get coco's, just like you
tongue.gif
And I didn't know that hollow sound comes from a dirty sheath, I always thought it was down to the way they were gelded...

[/ QUOTE ]

i always thought it was trapped air in their sheath

Pedantic

Visit site
Wire brush and Dettol works a treat, use it on myself, ONLY KIDDIN ! rubber glove and baby oil, if he wont drop it out I hang on it till he does, he got a blasted infection a couple of years ago, a vet told me the nasties in the smeg are the same ones that cause cervical cancer so he should be cleaned when needed.

Rockchick_uk

s11.invisionfree.com
I have indi cleaned by either my mom or my vet lol.

He had his bean removed about 2-3 years ago so would really need to be checked to see if one has reappeared.

(the bean is like a gaulstone in the end of the penis which can be popped out as it can cause soreness when weeing)

DAHH

Visit site
Both my yearling colts make that hollow noise when trotting, so does that mean they need their tackle cleaned? Being show-offs they let it all hang out frequently and it does not look dirty.
What an horrific thought, especially first thing in the morning! I think I am going to stick to owning mares

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I had this problem with George a while back as I didn't realise the hollow noise meant it was dirty! He doesn't need to have it out to clean, I just stick my hand up there (with a glove on!)and a remove any of the loose bits of yuck, and then slosh some baby oil up there to loosen the rest - tis a lovely job, not. Just glad that George stands quite still whilst I rummage!!!

itsmyparty

Visit site
Now, by dirty, do you mean the creamy coloured flakey stuff or the REALLY horrid black stuff ? When we first got Fatty I was given the glamorous job of cleaning his sheath (hand up his hoohah up to the wrist). I don't think he'd ever had it done before as really BIG black chunks came out - like the chips of rubber you get in sand and rubber arenas (YO's dog ate them before I could stop her !). Six months on I did it again and there was very little black stuff, which is lucky as the vet says it's cancerous. He still gets the creamy flakey stuff all the time, which I try to pick off when he's "relaxed". Any ideas how to get rid of that or should it just be left ?