Disabled facilities.

Migavie

Visit site
Hi,anyone else surprised that a venue hosting a BD Area Festival and a BD Championship has no disabled parking and that the only disabled loo is accessed by walking up a hill or driving round- presumably after walking back to the public car park.

Widgeon

Visit site
While I would like to be surprised, I'm not really. IMO a more interesting question might be, how many competition facilities are there out there that DO have reasonable parking, toilet, etc provision for people who are less mobile? And how did they fund the creation of that infrastructure? (purely horsey venues that is - I'm not talking big multi-use venues as I would hope / expect that they would have good provision). I would be genuinely interested to know this so if anyone can name one or post a link I'd love to see

Visit site
OP - I am not surprised in the slightest sadly.

While I would like to be surprised, I'm not really. IMO a more interesting question might be, how many competition facilities are there out there that DO have reasonable parking, toilet, etc provision for people who are less mobile? And how did they fund the creation of that infrastructure? (purely horsey venues that is - I'm not talking big multi-use venues as I would hope / expect that they would have good provision). I would be genuinely interested to know this so if anyone can name one or post a link I'd love to see

Howe EC in Fife have a disabled ramp at the front with parking right next to it. There is also a side door that is on a level with everything and again you can park mere metres away from it.

I haven't really been to any other EC in a long time.

TPO

Visit site
OP - I am not surprised in the slightest sadly.

Howe EC in Fife have a disabled ramp at the front with parking right next to it. There is also a side door that is on a level with everything and again you can park mere metres away from it.

I haven't really been to any other EC in a long time.

SNEC in Scotland have ramps and disabled toilets accessed from the reception area. They appear easy access (to my uneducated eye) and there's always staff at reception to help with anything.

Blair sounds similar to Badminton and Burghley with the scooters and the parking and toilets

Sorry to hear about your predicament OP. Is it worth contacting BD and/or the venue?

Visit site
SNEC in Scotland have ramps and disabled toilets accessed from the reception area. They appear easy access (to my uneducated eye) and there's always staff at reception to help with anything.

Blair sounds similar to Badminton and Burghley with the scooters and the parking and toilets

I couldn't tell you the last time I went to SNEC let alone when I went through the front doors and not the pony doors.

Nicnac

Visit site
Badminton and Burghley have parking for the disabled and all terrain mobility scooter hire. Not sure about the toilets, though.

Neither of those are permanent sites and they do have disabled toilets. The Event Mobility charity that organises the scooters/wheelchairs for the bigger events are amazing.

I think OP's issue is with permanent sites and I'd say it's actually quite rare to find disabled parking and toilets at most equestrian centres - the bigger ones maybe but I've never seen a disabled lorry/trailer parking bay for example and can't think of a centre with accessible loos off the top of my head.

Migavie

Visit site
Our local centre is the Ian Stark Equestrian Centre. They have very good disabled parking and a very good disabled loo. They also have a welcoming,positive and friendly attitude. my husband is disabled but likes to come along to support me and often calls for me there. I don’t expect tiny venues to have facilities but I do think a venue hosting larger BD competitions should make Some provision.

Migavie

Visit site

Sorry to hear about your predicament OP. Is it worth contacting BD and/or the venue?
That’s good to know about SNEC

Reactions: TPO

Goldenstar

Visit site
Alnwick Ford Equestrian have a disabled toilet and I am sure I have seen a ramp that gets a wheel chair up to a level where it’s possible to see into the school and I think that was here , it’s near me do you want me to check this for you .

Migavie

Visit site
Alnwick Ford Equestrian have a disabled toilet and I am sure I have seen a ramp that gets a wheel chair up to a level where it’s possible to see into the school and I think that was here , it’s near me do you want me to check this for you .
That’s useful to know. Thanks very much. I know someone who competes there fairly regularly and she thinks it would be fine for us.

teapot

Visit site
If you’re ever further south, Wellington is great for accessible facilities as an all round centre and comp venue. Parking’s flat, ramps in/out of main clubhouse, loos on both floors, poss accessible one on first floor?, relatively flat site, most of the arenas can be viewed without steps involved. Even the yard based loo is accessible!

I always found/find Hartpury an odd choice for the RDA National Champs given how steep parts of the site are!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I know Northallerton and Richmond both have ramps to get in and disabled toilets. Not sure about parking but could be I haven't noticed.