Disappointing lesson at Wellington

timbobs

Visit site
I booked an assessment lesson at Wellington a couple of weeks after I lost Ed and it finally happened on Wednesday last week (they have a long waiting list!)

The lesson was an absolute shocker and I wouldn’t be recommending them to anyone for lessons in the future!

I sent them an email this morning to express my concern for the horse and disappointment in the lesson and received a very stock answer in reply which had incorrect information in it which has done nothing to improve them in my mind.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to raise a concern about my assessment lesson on Sugar on Wednesday 27th March.

For the first hald of the session Sugar felt lame and uncomfortable and was clearly unhappy with being asked to work. My instructor informed me that you believe Sugar is cold backed/may have some Kissing Spine, although she did agree the level of discomfort Sugar was showing was unusual and she did call the yard for advice.

She decided that we should continue and work Sugar through the issue and she did improve once she had warmed up and worked nicely towards the end of the lesson. Although I understand that horses need time to warm up and loosen off any niggles, I felt Sugar was more sore than stiff. As a result of working through Sugar’s initial discomfort I felt that I received little instruction and value from the lesson and that I was schooling a green horse rather than having the opportunity to improve my own riding.

I just wanted to share this feedback with you as the lesson did not match up to the wonderful reviews I have heard from others who have been for lessons with you.

They responded with:
AEE97D94-9E8C-4427-B1BE-75B8BB861F6F.png

I’d heard good things about their lessons and their facilities are gorgeous but unfortunately the standard of the lesson did not match up!

I do feel that the standard was lower as I had originally been planning to ride with them regularly but I have been offered lots of riding so probably wouldn’t have ridden regularly there and they knew this as I had tried to cancel the lesson (with lots of notice!) but they don’t do refunds so I went ahead with it.

timbobs

Visit site
Write back thanking her for the reply & saying you look forward to hearing from the Chief Coach & Yard Manager

That's a good idea- thanks!

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to their reply!

I took a while to email as I wasn't sure if I was expecting too much from a riding school lesson, but the poor mare was clearly uncomfortable and I'm kicking myself for not pushing more in the lesson about it.

I couldn't believe it when after I'd cantered once large on only one rein they asked if I'd like to jump her! No! She's not warmed up yet, and I feel like she couldn't do a 20m circle, let alone pop a cross pole.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm think that's absolutely shocking. What is any riding centre, never mind one of that supposed standard, doing using a horse who they 'think might have kissing spines' in lessons with unknown riders? I think I would be reporting them to the RSPCA or WHW for failing to get the horse diagnosed and treated.

I think your email was far too gentle. You didn't get the lesson you paid for. In your shoes, I would have demanded a refund.

timbobs

Visit site
I'm think that's absolutely shocking. What is any riding centre, never mind one of that supposed standard, doing using a horse who they 'think might have kissing spines' in lessons with unknown riders? I think I would be reporting them to the RSPCA or WHW for failing to get the horse diagnosed and treated.

I think your email was far too gentle. You didn't get the lesson you paid for. In your shoes, I would have demanded a refund.

I didn't want to be too pushy for a refund (I'm not overly bothered about getting one although it wasn't cheap at £58 for 30minutes!) as I was worried they would think I was just complaining for the refund as I had wanted to cancel the lesson previously but went ahead as they don't offer refunds. I wanted them to check over the horse properly more than anything.

Scarlett

Visit site
I didn't know you had lost Ed, very sorry. We never got to go the hack we messaged about :(

I'm very close to you with more horses than I can ride myself so if you need a pony fix you're welcome to get in touch.

As for the lesson, I would be replying to say you look forward to a further response and maybe taking it further. Whilst I understand that lesson schoolmasters can often be older, established horses needing a quieter life and a degree of stiffness can be expected actual lameness and the admission that the horse 'might' have KS is absolutely not.

timbobs

Visit site
F me. £58 for 30 minutes? Who was the lesson with, Pippa Funnell?!

Sarcyness aside, that's really terrible. I think the problem is you're speaking to the booking administrator. I'd post a review on their Facebook page.

I know! I know Riding Schools aren't cheap to run and was happy to pay the money for a decent lesson, but this wasn't a decent lesson at all. The instructor was also about 19/early twenties I think and didn't really give much instruction at all.

I didn't know you had lost Ed, very sorry. We never got to go the hack we messaged about :(

I'm very close to you with more horses than I can ride myself so if you need a pony fix you're welcome to get in touch.

As for the lesson, I would be replying to say you look forward to a further response and maybe taking it further. Whilst I understand that lesson schoolmasters can often be older, established horses needing a quieter life and a degree of stiffness can be expected actual lameness and the admission that the horse 'might' have KS is absolutely not.

It's been hard losing Ed and this was supposed to be something to look forward to, but didn't deliver. The mare wasn't old at all- in fact I got a couple of different ages from 11/12 to 7 so not sure how old she actually was. She was also in no way a schoolmaster. She needed a lot of work to soften and work properly from behind and the canter was very difficult to ride. I understand that for more experienced riders part of the process can be to learn how to work a horse correctly, but surely not one who seems uncomfortable rather than just wanting to make you ask properly.

I've replied with Tiahatti's suggestion so will see if they come back to me.

Kaylum

Visit site
Your not there to push anyone's horse through stiffness, your there to have a lesson. If the horse was stiff it should have been worked before hand and as others have said to say it COULD have kissingspines its unacceptable and the horse should not be in the school. What damage is this doing to the horse as well.

If your paying that for a lesson the horse should be a schoolmaster, not stiff and unhappy.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It seems to be that the Instructor didn't have the confidence/responsibility leve to insist on the change of horse with the yard. As the person observing the horse (and rider) they should absolutely be able to do this/have the final say rather than asking the yard for advice. I hope you get an appropriate response, I can understand why the admin didn't want to say anymore.

peanut

Visit site
"I know Riding Schools aren't cheap to run and was happy to pay the money for a decent lesson, but this wasn't a decent lesson at all. The instructor was also about 19/early twenties I think and didn't really give much instruction at all."

Totally agree that you should take the issue with the horse further.

As far as the lesson is concerned, I had an assessment lesson there a couple of years ago and it was wasn't a lesson at all, just an expensive 30 minute assessment of my riding ability. I wasn't instructed at all - she asked me what I'd done previously and watched me ride :(

timbobs

Visit site
It seems to be that the Instructor didn't have the confidence/responsibility leve to insist on the change of horse with the yard. As the person observing the horse (and rider) they should absolutely be able to do this/have the final say rather than asking the yard for advice. I hope you get an appropriate response, I can understand why the admin didn't want to say anymore.

The instructor said the horse didn't look lame and suggested I move my whip as it may be bothering the horse as she was kicking out (although I was not touching her with it at all).

I suggested multiple times that the horse was unhappy and felt uneven and choppy, but she insisted she was ok after checking with the yard. When the person who is supposedly instructing and knows the horse well thinks you should carry on it does feel awkward to go against that.

Once she had warmed up properly she worked willingly and produced some nice moments, but it was an uncomfortable start. I wish I had been firmer and pushed for a change of horse.

timbobs

Visit site
As far as the lesson is concerned, I had an assessment lesson there a couple of years ago and it was wasn't a lesson at all, just an expensive 30 minute assessment of my riding ability. I wasn't instructed at all - she asked me what I'd done previously and watched me ride :(

Yes exactly this. She asked about my ability, watched me ride and asked me to assess what I thought of the horse at the end and that was it.

Tarragon

Visit site
I agree with posters saying that it was wrong to be given a horse that wasn't in a fit state to be ridden.
I am wondering though what the difference is between an assessment and a lesson. I would have thought that an assessment would be a discussion to find out what you want to achieve, then watching you ride to assess your abilities, followed by a summary of what they think the follow up lessons would include and why and I think you would need 30 minutes to do a proper job of this.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Very sad to hear this - I rode Sugar for a holiday camp there about two years ago and she was an absolute saint, so there’s probably a pain-related issue if she felt green or stiff. When I was there I was advised to avoid tight turns due to an old injury to her hind leg - maybe it was that? Please do push this - hopefully your next email from them is an improvement

Michen

Visit site
I know! I know Riding Schools aren't cheap to run and was happy to pay the money for a decent lesson, but this wasn't a decent lesson at all. The instructor was also about 19/early twenties I think and didn't really give much instruction at all.

It's been hard losing Ed and this was supposed to be something to look forward to, but didn't deliver. The mare wasn't old at all- in fact I got a couple of different ages from 11/12 to 7 so not sure how old she actually was. She was also in no way a schoolmaster. She needed a lot of work to soften and work properly from behind and the canter was very difficult to ride. I understand that for more experienced riders part of the process can be to learn how to work a horse correctly, but surely not one who seems uncomfortable rather than just wanting to make you ask properly.

I've replied with Tiahatti's suggestion so will see if they come back to me.

Unhelpful to original post but..Where are you based? I'm not far from Welly.My awesome sharer is buying her own horse so Boggle is looking for a rider, if you've seen anything of him on here you will know he is awesome fun! G x

timbobs

Visit site
Unhelpful to original post but..Where are you based? I'm not far from Welly.My awesome sharer is buying her own horse so Boggle is looking for a rider, if you've seen anything of him on here you will know he is awesome fun! G x

I've been following your posts and he is awesome :D

I am very lucky to have been offered a sort of full loan from the middle of this month and have lots of horses to ride on an ad-hoc basis, but I had booked the Wellington lesson before any of this had been organised and didn't cancel as no refund. I thought it would have been a good experience to go anyway.

I will keep my ears open for anyone looking though as someone will be very lucky to ride him!

conniegirl

Visit site
I had a similarly awful lesson at another posh & expensive riding school in Hertfordshire.

Do follow it up, I wish I had but didnt have the confidence at the time

Michen

Visit site
I've been following your posts and he is awesome :D

I am very lucky to have been offered a sort of full loan from the middle of this month and have lots of horses to ride on an ad-hoc basis, but I had booked the Wellington lesson before any of this had been organised and didn't cancel as no refund. I thought it would have been a good experience to go anyway.

I will keep my ears open for anyone looking though as someone will be very lucky to ride him!

Fantastic, hope it works out well for you ! And thank you, much better to find someone via word of mouth :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

teapot

Visit site
Ring them, dont bother with email, their office isn't the most switched on in my very recent experience (I've had do so in last week or so because the lack of emails was unnerving me, good job I did!) I can't see David Sherin being too happy about you being specifcally told there might be a problem with a horse (as the general manager there and the BHS chair!) It never instills condidence with clients in my experience.

Just to consider the view from the other side assessment lessons are what they say on the tin - there to be assessed, you to assess the place, get a feel of what you might want to do etc, which horses would suit you for further lessons hence usually the 30/40minute time frame (which will include w,t,c and jump if you want to) and probably not with a higher level coach either. They're rarely if ever a lesson to improve/learn from, that's what you go back for, and sadly in this day and age, RSs/equestrian centres cannot run the risk of overhorsing someone just because they've said they can ride. It's the same all over the country. I don't know many places that would use true schoolmasters for their assessment lessons and for good reason.

Last edited:

hihosilver

Visit site
My niece who rides my horse booked 4 lessons as its cheaper to book a block. At that time she was needed to ride different horses as my horse was young, She was riding as a decent level jumping 85cm and properly stage 2 plus on flat. She went on her own at first and she thought ok. I went with her and I was horrified at the instruction she had. Looked sound but very reluctant to bend and she just ended up comprising her position. Total waste of money. I felt bad as I worked at welly years ago and it was amazing! Are there any decent riding schools anymore that really do have decent schoolmasters? needless to say we never went back! She had lessons on my young horse and is now successfully competing him at BE 100.

ihatework

Visit site
Ring them, dont bother with email, their office isn't the most switched on in my very recent experience (I've had do so in last week or so because the lack of emails was unnerving me, good job I did!) I can't see David Sherin being too happy about you being specifcally told there might be a problem with a horse (as the general manager there and the BHS chair!) It never instills condidence with clients in my experience.

Just to consider the view from the other side assessment lessons are what they say on the tin - there to be assessed, you to assess the place, get a feel of what you might want to do etc, which horses would suit you for further lessons hence usually the 30/40minute time frame (which will include w,t,c and jump if you want to) and probably not with a higher level coach either. They're rarely if ever a lesson to improve/learn from, that's what you go back for, and sadly in this day and age, RSs/equesrtrain centres cannot run the risk of overhorsing someone just because they've said they can ride. It's the same all over the country. I don't know many places that would use true schoolmasters for their assessment lessons and for good reason.

I think this is a very good post.

My twopenneth

Expectations and communication - it sounds like your expectation of what an assessment lesson was for was not in line with Wellingtons. It would be an easy mistake to make on your part and something Wellington could improve upon presumably. If they had said to you that it will be a session on a quiet horse with a more junior member of staff just to assess your level so they can put you on appropriate lessons/horses in the future then your expectations would probably have been ‘I just need to suck up riding a dobbin for 30 mins’.

Suitability of the horse provided. The problem here is flippant comments by an inexperienced instructor can easily be blown out of proportion. I’m not doubting your assessment of the horse, but it is not unheard of for riding school horses to go into complete uncompliant mode to test a new rider, some of them can be quite self-preserving! That can then be misinterpreted by the new rider when the staff know full well what is going on as they know the horse. Obviously the horse could also be in unreasonable discomfort and the RS are negligent in acting on it.

At this stage I feel it was a little unfair to post this thread.

You need to give Wellington the chance to action your complaint and I think you have jumped the gun.

Obviously if you don’t get more response/action to your satisfaction then you are at liberty to take it further.

I’m just conscious that riding schools are dropping like flies due to ever increasing pressures and if you are going to slate one then it needs to be deserved, and I’m not quite sure you are at that point yet.

Pippity

Visit site
Are there any decent riding schools anymore that really do have decent schoolmasters?

I rode once at Hope Farm in Widnes a few years ago, after losing my first share horse, and was really impressed with the horse I was given. It was a nicely put-together coloured cob, in good condition, very well-schooled, and responsive to the lightest aids. I didn't get on with the instructor in the slightest, though! (I've been told that the 'secondary' instructors are much more pleasant than the owner, but I didn't go back to try because I ended up getting a new share horse and having lessons on him instead.)

This was an assessment, but I was still given instruction, and the horse was already warmed up and ready to work when I arrived.

I know it's the opposite end of the country to you, but there are schools out there with genuine schoolmasters.

timbobs

Visit site

Just to consider the view from the other side assessment lessons are what they say on the tin - there to be assessed, you to assess the place, get a feel of what you might want to do etc, which horses would suit you for further lessons hence usually the 30/40minute time frame (which will include w,t,c and jump if you want to) and probably not with a higher level coach either. They're rarely if ever a lesson to improve/learn from, that's what you go back for, and sadly in this day and age, RSs/equestrian centres cannot run the risk of overhorsing someone just because they've said they can ride. It's the same all over the country. I don't know many places that would use true schoolmasters for their assessment lessons and for good reason.

Really interesting post- thanks. I definitely wasn't expecting a true schoolmaster at all- I understand that assessment lessons won't ever be the best in terms of instruction/improvement and they need to scope you out on a safer horse before knowing what to put you on in the future. However, I wasn't expecting something which felt unsound to me (but maybe my assessment was wrong). What I would have liked more of, was at the end of the session when I asked having seen me ride, what she would suggest we should work on in the future/areas to improve, she didn't have any feedback for me at all which doesn't inspire confidence in the instruction in future lessons. I am not Charlotte Dujardin and have plenty to improve on!

I think this is a very good post.
My twopenneth

Expectations and communication - it sounds like your expectation of what an assessment lesson was for was not in line with Wellingtons. It would be an easy mistake to make on your part and something Wellington could improve upon presumably. If they had said to you that it will be a session on a quiet horse with a more junior member of staff just to assess your level so they can put you on appropriate lessons/horses in the future then your expectations would probably have been ‘I just need to suck up riding a dobbin for 30 mins’.

Suitability of the horse provided. The problem here is flippant comments by an inexperienced instructor can easily be blown out of proportion. I’m not doubting your assessment of the horse, but it is not unheard of for riding school horses to go into complete uncompliant mode to test a new rider, some of them can be quite self-preserving! That can then be misinterpreted by the new rider when the staff know full well what is going on as they know the horse. Obviously the horse could also be in unreasonable discomfort and the RS are negligent in acting on it.

At this stage I feel it was a little unfair to post this thread.

You need to give Wellington the chance to action your complaint and I think you have jumped the gun.

Obviously if you don’t get more response/action to your satisfaction then you are at liberty to take it further.

I’m just conscious that riding schools are dropping like flies due to ever increasing pressures and if you are going to slate one then it needs to be deserved, and I’m not quite sure you are at that point yet.

I did think carefully before posting this thread but I may have been a bit too quick to post. I wasn't impressed with their reply, but maybe I need to wait to see if I get a response from the yard manager.

I may have been wrong about the horse; she seemed to have a willing attitude overall, but seemed uncomfortable for the first half. They did say to me that she would be stiff to start which I was absolutely fine with until we actually got moving and felt it for myself.

Maybe I had an unreasonable expectation as if my own horse had felt like that I would be looking into it. They may know the full
reasoning behind why the mare is like that, and it was just communicated badly on the day.

Thinking about my issue on the day I think it is the fact that most of the lesson was spent working through the original stiffness/unsoundness so felt like I couldn't properly be assessed. My second issue is the dismissiveness of their response- they got the day I attended wrong and it felt like a brush off.

littlefluffball

Visit site
Just a question - and apologies if i am missing osmething obvious. Why would a RS use their junior staff member to do an initial assesment? I would think it was imperative that the initial assesment is thorough and a correct assesment made for planning a training/learning programme and therefore an experienced instructor would be beneficial? Or at least an experienced instructor as a second opinion?

MuddyTB

Visit site
Michen, please move to Yorkshire :D
Seriously, someone will be very lucky.

Michen

Visit site
Michen, please move to Yorkshire :D
Seriously, someone will be very lucky.

You'd think so, but despite several adverts I haven't even had a single person enquire! Bizarre as I'm totally flexible re days, financial contribution (if any!) etc, I'd have bit someones arm off for the chance when I didn't have my own horse but sharers seem like hens teeth...