Disaster after my fab day post

barkinghorse

Visit site
Went down to the yard to check on the horses early Friday morning,
William looked fine in the field, Called Jess and instantly new something was wrong as she didn't come over. Walked over to her to see her front leg twisted and hanging!!
Vet rushed out to us after a quick check sedated her straight away, nerve blocked the whole of her leg.
I had to drive my trailer across the field to load her and drove straight to Leahurst.
She has a fractured cannon bone and splint bone, and although the skin isn't broken she has a raging infection in her sheath tendon.
They operated straight away and said the would ring me when she was up as they feared her leg would break on recovery.
They rang me that evening to say she was up and they think they had flushed the infection out.
Sunday, they rang to say the infection was back and were taking her for a second surgery. Again they rang to say she had got up ok without breaking her leg.
Yesterday they rang to say they couldn't identify the bug in her leg nor had they any idea how it became infected, but she seemed more comfortable.
Today her leg seemed to be sore again,so she may go for a third op in the morning.
Poor Jess she is such a sweety, it breaks my heart that this has happened to her after we had such a fab day at the beach last Wednesday.
She is an old lady and i think 3 ops in almost as many days is a lot but how do you draw the line under something when there maybe a glimmer of hope?
She is my best friend and although i still have William i feel very empty knowing she is not in her stable.
Jo xx

Puppy

Visit site
Oh I'm welling up reading that.
frown.gif
My thoughts are with you and her and am sending good vibes your way. xxx

vicm2509

Visit site
You poor poor thing and poor Jess. I really hope she makes a good recovery and gets better soon. Do you have any idea how she did it? I agree that if there is hope then let her go for the op's, im sure if Leahurst didnt think there was much hope then they would advise you not to go ahead with them.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for her.

barkinghorse

Visit site
They think a kick in the field caused it, She is a bit of a loner and keeps away from the other horses (even William) so if that's whats happened then another horse must have been looking for trouble. I'm not saying she is a saint but... Well actually i am, because she's my angel. lol
Jo xx

barkinghorse

Visit site
No, i don't think so, as they are more concerned with the infection her body is producing rather than the fracture itself. I know it goes round the bone rather than up the bone if that helps?
Jo xx

GTs

Visit site
It is a spiral fracture then - Maria's Storm won the Breeders Cup Filly and Mares race after recovery from one.

barkinghorse

Visit site
Wow, thanks for that news, it's given me some hope on the recovery front, she's 25 though, so i don't expect her to go back into full work again, but she wouldn't do well being retired as she has a big brain and needs a lot of stimulation.
Jo xx

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What a horrid thing to have to go through for you both. At least you have to be positive, if Leahurst didn't think it possible to fix they would have advised againgst the further op's and GTs has given you more hope too I think.
We're all thinking of you both and are wishing for the infection to be beaten asap.

sarahrees

www.myspace.com
its horrible when their away in hospital. The sec d i ride got hurt in the field last wed see post ( http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1222114/an/0/page/4#1222114 )

and ive not been able to go and see him because of work and transport. the yard is so lonley without him, spent this morning fluffing his straw bed up ready for when he comes home. Its horrible when they not there.
I hope you get some good news soon
Hugs
xxx

Kelly1982

Visit site
OMG how awful, i really feel for you
frown.gif

I have got all my fingers and toes crossed that she makesa full recovery.

Hugs to you and please keep us update x x

briardy

Visit site
so sorry this has happend to your poor mare
confused.gif
its so hard to take when awful out of the blue things like this happen
confused.gif
sounds like shes a real fighter though so i ve everything crossed she ll make a good recovery in time.....will be thinking of you both . love sarah x

juliehannah58

Visit site
Oh no! What a horrible thing to happen! Seems it's not just me who has rotten luck recently then
frown.gif

Huge Hugs and positive vibes winging their way to you and Jess
smile.gif

(((((HUGS))))))

Julie
xxxx