Discovered a lump on my gelding, any ideas what it is?

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Hey all,

I discovered this lump on my 4 year old gelding tonight.
It's on his stomach, about 6 inches forward of his sheath.
It is about the size of a 50p, and protrudes from the skin by 7-8mm.
It's solid, it's texture is strange, the best way I can describe it is it has the texture of the skin on a dogs paw.....
I can move it about and he seems pretty unconcerned by it.

This is a picture of it, not the best but the best my crappy phone could come up with. My first instinct is it's a Sarcoid and I need to call out the vet.
Tomorrow I will be giving him an inspection with a fine tooth comb, look into his arm pit areas etc. all his folds to see if he has any more lumps and bumps.
Anyone seen the same?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yup, but perfect for an easy banding. Don't panic! Ask the vet to band then dab Liverpool cream on the end result. Don't touch it without gloves. Other typical areas (but not restricted to) are sheath, groin, armpits.

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Yup, but perfect for an easy banding. Don't panic! Ask the vet to band then dab Liverpool cream on the end result. Don't touch it without gloves. Other typical areas (but not restricted to) are sheath, groin, armpits.

I've just been doing a bit of research on sarcoids and yes I too thought it was suitable for banding.
I'm not panicking.....yet! If he's got a sarcoid, he's got a sarcoid. I'll just deal with it.
If just one and as it's in a place that isn't causing a problem then it may be worth just leaving it and monitoring it, although I am concerned he would kick it off when he's kicking at flies this time of the year.

You say not to touch it without gloves, is that because it's a risk to him or me or both? I did have a poke about today without gloves on discovering it, and I then handled my mare who also had a wound. It hadn't occurred to me there and then that it was a sarcoid. I've since read that a virus may be involved so I was like great, may have spread it to my mare :(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't worry about spreading it, I'd just always be careful before a firm diagnosis is made. Banding is the best, IMO, it'll just drop off within a week or so. Fab! Just protect the area with fly spray/cream.

Yes, it's linked to the bovine papilloma virus, possibly spread by flies.

Make sure you use decent fly spray and concentrate on the areas I mentioned. The sheath is often targeted by flies, Summer Fly cream is fab for that area, contains deet, super effective.

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Don't worry about spreading it, I'd just always be careful before a firm diagnosis is made. Banding is the best, IMO, it'll just drop off within a week or so. Fab! Just protect the area with fly spray/cream.

Yes, it's linked to the bovine papilloma virus, possibly spread by flies.

Make sure you use decent fly spray and concentrate on the areas I mentioned. The sheath is often targeted by flies, Summer Fly cream is fab for that area, contains deet, super effective.

My mare has sweetitch so I use a mixture made up of avon skin so soft, neem and citronella oil - will this be ok to use. I've tried all sorts and so far have found the neem oil very effective, and no wonder it totally stinks :(
What about the lump it self, I did notice flies attracted to it, do I spray it too, or maybe put neem oil only on it?

Is it worth putting a fly sheet on him also, he's happy enough to have one on. I've it at home at the moment as the sod has torn several holes in it :(

A little while ago I had 2 rising 4 year olds with no health issues, now I have sweetitch and sarcoids to contend with. The dogs better stay sound :(

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Neem is good but if its going to be banded, the vet might suggest Summer Fly cream which is bright yellow and covers the area (sudocrem if you like plus fly spray).

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Neem is good but if its going to be banded, the vet might suggest Summer Fly cream which is bright yellow and covers the area (sudocrem if you like plus fly spray).

I've used summer fly cream before to protect wounds to my mares legs, it's very good. I think I've even got half a tub somewhere.
So tomorrow I'll give him a thorough inspection, slap some fly cream on and around it and fly spray him, and of course phone the vet!

Thanks for your help :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's nodular sarcoid .
I would have that lasered off it gives the best chance according to the recent research done of it not returning .
Summer fly cream is good but the best stuff I have used I'd filtabac cream which you can get from the vets but is cheaper from eBay.
Nodular sarcoid spontaneous drop off sometimes leaving a raw wound if this happens you must keep it covered with cream as this the stage they can be carried to other horses by flys so it's a case of keeping it well covered with cream and reliously checking the other horses for small wounds and covering them.
Check the horse regularily particularily the sheath elbows and In between the hind legs which is the Favorite places for them to spring up.