Disguising antibiotic in feed

Cassy

Visit site
My horse has been given an antibiotic liquid to be fed in her feed twice a day for 5 days. Normally she will eat anything but not with this stuff in it. Any suggestions please. I have tried chaff, pony nuts, garlic and chopped carrots. Thanks.

Micropony

Visit site
For mine I grated an apple, a carrot, a pear and moistened it with apple juice where I would normally use water. He thought all his birthdays and Christmases had come at once and was rather disappointed to finish the course!

serenityjane

Visit site
If it is a liquid, then syringing it may be your best option, I tend to syringe all medication as even the granules are hard to disguise for fussy horses-at least if you syringe you know that they are getting the full dose.

PorkChop

Visit site
I usually add the liquid to some grass nuts to soak in, using a bit of water as well if necessary.

The problem with syringing is that the antibiotic is so liquid that often you will invariably get some dribbling out, far better to disguise in feed if you can.

pippixox

Visit site
I syringed. My boy usually eats anything and powdered medication and any supplements. But the liquid anti-biotic would only be disguised in a lot of food and he would eventually stop eating it. Yes some drops out, but he got most of it

Flicker

Visit site
Mint and molasses have worked for me. I had to resort to Slobbermash for my late gelding, who was super fussy, and it worked a treat.

pennyturner

Visit site
I just had this with on of mine post gelding. Mixed with beet, a bit of molasses and a grated apple. He couldn't get enough of the stuff, and is now calling out to me every time he sees me, a he doesn't understand that his course is over!

muckypony

Visit site
Syringing. My little one had been on and off different antibiotics / bute, he will not eat it no matter what I put it in so syringing is the best way to know what he's had.

doodle

Visit site
If it's the liquid antibiotics I think a friend mixed with a little flour to thicken which made it easier to syringe in.

Cassy

Visit site
Thanks everyone. She is eating her feed a bit better now. I am disguising the antibiotic with garlic and sliced carrot, but have the molasses and apple juice at the ready. She eats it best when she is hungry and given no choice otherwise would prefer the hay.