Disguising supplement

scats

Visit site
Millie is normally very easy to get supplements into, but started her on Feedmark Extra Flex HA this week and despite a very tiny sprinkling (introduce gradually etc) she won’t touch it.
I’ve tried mint, cinnamon and apple juice. Tried sprinkling it and mixing into dry chaff, soaked feed... no luck.

Any suggestions?

Mule

Visit site
Molasses or golden syrup. I know some people have a horror of it. I've only used it to get necessary medicine in to them rather than a supplement but it does work.

Visit site
fenugreek

very strong and also an appetite stimulant

or if it's powder, bung it in a syringe with some icing sugar and syringe it down lol

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I start by just adding a tiny bit of supplement with mint essence then just increase it slowly, one of mine is really fussy with new thing and I find this works

cauda equina

Visit site
I keep reading the thread title as disgusting supplement (which perhaps it is)

I've just started one of mine on it; he's usually a pig but was a bit picky for the first couple of days, even though I went really slowly with only a tiny spoonful to start
Now the tub has been open for a week or so it doesn't seem to smell so strong and he's eating it better. I wonder if leaving the lid off the tub for a bit might help

jnb

Visit site
Soaked Thunderbrooks Hay Cobs (a bit of a pain as they need 3 hours to soak but can use hot water to speed it up a bit)
Or, if you can get it, D&H Winter Mash

scats

Visit site
I’ve given up unfortunately. I’m loathe to buy anything else to try her with as she’s been so adamant she’s not going anywhere near it! Polly also won’t touch it.
Fortunately I’ve found someone who wants to buy the tub so won’t lose all my money!
Suggestions for a good, palatable joint supplement?

albeg

Visit site
Does the Feedmark one smell like sweets?

I've used Flexijoint and currently use Flexability, both smell like sweets and had the grey one suspicious initially. Fortunately his respiratory supplement smells quite strong so it masked it enough when I was only feeding a pinch.
A friend has had success with molasses, her horse wouldn't touch it without them but licked the bowl clean with them.
The NAF one (Superflex) didn't cause suspicion, but I didn't find it as effective for my guy.

jnb

Visit site
I’ve given up unfortunately. I’m loathe to buy anything else to try her with as she’s been so adamant she’s not going anywhere near it! Polly also won’t touch it.
Fortunately I’ve found someone who wants to buy the tub so won’t lose all my money!
Suggestions for a good, palatable joint supplement?

Riaflex Complete HA - even my mums fussy oldie eats it.

It came pretty much top of the legendary Aprils Amateur Analysis right here on HHO.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/joint-supplements-aprils-amateur-analysis.368448/

As with all joint supplements though, unless you feed the "loading" dose they're a bit pointless (or at least that's what the actual scientific analysis says - there are a few papers referenced in the HHO thread.

https://www.riaflex.co.uk/products/complete/

scats

Visit site
Riaflex Complete HA - even my mums fussy oldie eats it.

It came pretty much top of the legendary Aprils Amateur Analysis right here on HHO.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/joint-supplements-aprils-amateur-analysis.368448/

As with all joint supplements though, unless you feed the "loading" dose they're a bit pointless (or at least that's what the actual scientific analysis says - there are a few papers referenced in the HHO thread.

https://www.riaflex.co.uk/products/complete/

Thank you, I’ll have a look at that one. I bought the Feedmark one as I’d seen a study saying that was one of the best. Pity Millie didn’t agree haha.

scats

Visit site
Does the Feedmark one smell like sweets?

I've used Flexijoint and currently use Flexability, both smell like sweets and had the grey one suspicious initially. Fortunately his respiratory supplement smells quite strong so it masked it enough when I was only feeding a pinch.
A friend has had success with molasses, her horse wouldn't touch it without them but licked the bowl clean with them.
The NAF one (Superflex) didn't cause suspicion, but I didn't find it as effective for my guy.

It actually smells quite nice- slightly sweet. Certainly not offensive to my nose. I’ve opened supplements in the past and they’ve smelled horrid, yet she’s eaten them, but for some reason she wasn’t having any of this one.