Disgusted at Horse For Sale Advert

Bugly

Visit site
In our local paper last week there was an advert for a:

17hh Gelding

22 Years Old

Good Home Only

Tack and Rugs included- £500 only

Am I wrong to have been really upset by this? I cant imagine why anyone would sell such an old horse....and want to make financial gain from the sale?

I think that if you buy a horse who is 16+ you really have to be prepared to give the horse a home for the rest of their life. I understand that circumstances may change and possibly for financial reasons you can no longer keep a horse, but I find it sick that someone would want to line ther back pocket from a sale of such an old horse.

Why wouldn't you loan it or give it to someone you know who is trustworthy, or even better have it PTS so that you are safe in knowlege that it is in a good place: how could you live with yourself if he ended up in a bad home?

I have an 20 year old horse that I got when he was 16, when I took him on, I knew that this would have to be his last home. I had to retire him last year due to chronic arthritis but I look after him just as well as my 'ridden' horses. When I was a teenager, I got a 12 year old horse when I was 13. that was the same, he was with us then forever, and we had him PTS at 21.

I'm sickened to think of a poor old boy being passed around from home to home; I just hope he finds a good home. I'd have bought him if I wasn't full to bursting already.

AngieandBen

Visit site
frown.gif
I feel the same, all my ponies are with me for life, same as my dogs!
I suppose if he is fit and healthy and a safe horse he could give a novice a few good years.

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I can understand why people do this - sometimes things change and you are no longer able to own a horse. If I had a 22yo who was fit and healthy, I wouldn't want him PTS. If you loan a horse out, you have always got the potential for them to come back at the most inappropriate times, or you may not be in the situation to be able to have them back. By giving the horse away, you are asking for trouble - there are bound to be people that will sell him on and make money. By asking for a token amount, ie, £500 you are hopefully ensuring that someone who just wants a nice hack will take him on.

In sentiment I agree with your post entirely, but in reality there are so many variables that prevent some of the 'solutions' being viable options.

SpruceRI

Visit site
But what if the seller doesn't have anyone to give him to?

None of her friends want him?

Loans don't always go that well. People break the horse and then expect to give it back. The owner clearly doesn't want to loan him out.

Plenty of my friends have bought horses older than this, that have been in perfect health and have lots of life left in them, friends have been perfectly happy with their purchase and so has the horse.

Why should the seller have to give him away? He's more likely to go to an unsuitable home who think they've got themselves a free horse, than for someone whose prepared to buy him IMO.

cptrayes

Visit site
Yup, that's disgusting. An ad in the paper, not even a home who knows him. I'm not a "home for life" person, but that's awful.

Bugly

Visit site
OK I see what your saying: I'm probably a little naive as I only have experience of successful loans. I hear that there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there, but i'm lucky enough to have never encountered them.

tangotime

Visit site
Bugly,

whilst I agree with your general sentiment that it is unfair to sell horse that because of unsoundness or old age has no longer a useful life ie is ridedable and expect someone else to provide a 5* home for this animal, I think in this instance you are being a bit hash.

22 yo is old, but depending on the individual he might still be happy to do some light work. £500 doesn't sond like some one intedenting to make a big profit if you include rus and tack.

Annagain

Visit site
I can understand how you feel, I got my old boy when we were both 13 and he was with me until he was pts at 27 and more or less retired (other than 15 minute hacks to keep his brain occupied) for the last 18 months, but you really don't know the circumstances.

Considering he is being sold with tack, I assume he is still able to be ridden so it's not like they're trying to get rid of a retired horse. Depending on how much there is and the quality £500 would barely cover the tack and rugs so it's not like they're profiting from selling him, they could give him away and sell the tack and rugs separately for the same amount.

Maybe if they're forced to find him a new home they would just prefer to find him a good permanent home and make a clean break rather than be faced with a loan home wanting to return him when they're not in a position to cope with him?

It's a heartbreaking advert but unless you know the people and why they've made the decision I don't think it's fair to judge.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
For £500 the seller may still be giving him away i just bought a pony for £550 inclu all tack and rugs and his saddle alone must be worth £300 then theres his bridle and he had a monty roberts bit (i don't think they are cheep!) and rugs to add on so i think prob the £50 was for the pony.
Having said that i still think it's wrong to sell a 22 year old i personaly would loan it out to ensure his future was as secure as it could be but i don't know the sercamstances of the sale.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Although I agree with the sentiment, I don't think that 22 is necessarily that old.

Here is my friend's pony syd who is 23 (confirmed since she bred him!) at a sponsored ride in November.

http://www.xcphotos.co.uk/photos.php?cat...y=8&start=0

He is also still regulary seen at endurance comps including the red dragon.

I agree that, for example my boy Monty, 29 and very stiff, the thought of him being sold makes me feel sick. But I know in my friend's case, Syd would HATE not to be still out doing things.

cptrayes

Visit site
The problem is even more complicated than has already been pointed out. People who buy at that low a price often do it because they don't have enough money to buy a younger one. Especially if they buy from an advert from a stranger. (People with more money who are choosing an older horse deliberately will often be spoilt for choice if they put the feelers out locally). If they haven't got that money, and because a horse of that age is uninsurable, the moment he gets anything wrong with him there is either going to be a bankrupt owner who can't afford to feed it, or a horse needing a vet who doesn't get one. I'd have him put to sleep if I couldn't keep him. So what if he could have had another five years as a happy hacker? - he doesn't know that and there is certainty that he will never be in pain or badly treated in the future.

bex1984

Visit site

It all totally depends on the horse and on individual circumstances. Who knows what their reasons for selling are?! And frankly, it's no one's business but their own.

I bought my first horse when he was 21, and sold him 6 months later (significantly fitter, healthier and still wanting to work regularly).

There really is a 'holier than thou' attitude that pervades the horse world.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If they haven't got that money, and because a horse of that age is uninsurable, the moment he gets anything wrong with him there is either going to be a bankrupt owner who can't afford to feed it, or a horse needing a vet who doesn't get one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree with you im afraid. I don't have money to buy a nice youngster and look at horses for under £1000 when i buy. I don't insure my horses either but i can ensure you that if they need the vet they get it and they will always get food even if it means i have to go without and live off 9p tins of bakebeans for a while. I know you are right in some cases but not all just because i can't pay £2000 for a horse it doesn't mean i don't take care of it!

legaldancer

Visit site
I think it's wrong. Better to find him a permanent loan home & sell them the tack. Or PTS, though I'd find that hard.

Last week there was a thread on here about a retired 18 year old sold for £200 in October & now on the market for £3500 advertised as a fourteen year old. That's what can happen, and this particular horse needs veterinary treatment to jump which it is no longer receiving.

I have a 22 yr old TB on permanent loan & will have him to the day he dies. I also have a 19 yr old pony bought 18 months ago that I wouldn't sell on. When outgrown she will go on loan if able to work.

Holly831

Visit site
I bought my daughter an 18 year old last summer - I wanted a school master and he is fit and well and competing. If/when she 'outgrows' his abilities I would rather see him go to a new home and continue working (provided of course he is still as fit/well as he is now) than be stood in a field unhappy (he loves his work and competing - dressage) - however if I have any doubts and he was unhappy then I would have him pts. The previous owners had him for 2 years and we were very carefully vetted before they would sell him to us - in fact they are now friends!! So I suppose each case should be judged on its own merits.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Just to play devil's advocate..........I bought Monty for £200 (well i didn't but paid that for his tack and rugs to his owner).

He was advertised as 22 but was infact about 26/27. He is in a home for life and is the happiest he has ever been. His owner was going through a personal crisis and, although I don't agree with her treatment of him, he has ended up in a good home.

I would rather put him to sleep then pass him on now but not ALL stories are bad.

bailey14

Visit site
I know I feel the same way, I would never sell an aged horse, but sometimes people don't have a choice in the matter if they have lost their jobs or whatever. I think I would be inclined to put down an aged horse, but the thing is that horses live so much longer these days, so in reality a 22 year old horse is no longer classed as being the same thing as a 22 year old horse from 20 years ago or even 10 years ago with the giants leaps forward in veterinary science/research/feeds these days. Old horses are much healtier and fitter and if my old horse was fit and well I would try to sell him, but only to a very good home and maybe have a contract of somesort drawn up if it were possible that I would get first refusal if he were to be sold in the future.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just to play devil's advocate..........I bought Monty for £200 (well i didn't but paid that for his tack and rugs to his owner).

He was advertised as 22 but was infact about 26/27. He is in a home for life and is the happiest he has ever been. His owner was going through a personal crisis and, although I don't agree with her treatment of him, he has ended up in a good home.

I would rather put him to sleep then pass him on now but not ALL stories are bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, well I think that is a lovely story but definitely the minority.

I agree with the OP. I would never sell my horse (period) at that age, I just hate it. I think a horse is worked their whole life, now what!! Now they get sold to god knows who - no nice retirement for them (should they want it)

But I guess that's people like us with more sentiment and don't see animals the same way as other people who see them more as property and what they can do for them.

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
When I first started riding horses, outside of lessons, all my rides were on other peoples retired horses, which they had rehomed. All of them were in their twenties, all still sound & fit - I used to compete with them. They were my intro to competition, and as they were old experienced horses, I owe them a huge debt, as they taught me so much. One of them went to the hunt after me, to exercise hounds, and stayed there to the end. One sadly got kicked by another horse out grazing, and his leg was broken, and he was shot. Another was passed on to someone else, and he continued to be ridden and to teach them, until he became old & unsound, and was PTS.

Those three horses taught me so much, and I am so grateful that their owners allowed me to have them, and to learn from them.

I think you have to consider each case individually. If this horse is fit & healthy, I can see no reason why he should not go on to a new home, and teach someone else new things. As long as his new home is understanding that at his age, they may have to consider treatment or PTS at some point. But then is that so different from taking on any horse? Any horse can have an accident, rendering it unsound for the rest of it's life, or an illness meaning it needs to be PTS. As long as the new owners are prepared, what is the problem here?

lexiedhb

Visit site
QR- ummmmm the horse I share is 17years old, he is fit, healthy and before the snow in moderate work, would take you for a full days hunting, (and still be pulling by the end of it), and do anything you ask of him.... SJ, XC, Dressage, 5hour hack etc etc, if his owners needed to sell him I think he would fetch alot more than £500.... why at 17 should you write a horse off???????

ETS: my bad read 17hh as its age... not 22... so who knows how mine will be going in 5 years time!!!!
blush.gif

legaldancer

Visit site
I think the problem is selling, not loaning. Nothing wrong with a horse continuing to work if it's able but wouldn't it be more responsible to loan so that you are in control of its ultimate destiny?

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I don't like to see ads like that either, but as others have said, we don't know their circumstances. Hopefully they will be very careful about where he goes. some dodgy dealers can be very crafty though. wee minty who i bought for my son came from a dealer. she actually bragged to me that the private ad for him had said 'no dealers' so she pretended that he was for her child and was a private buyer. He was in a bit of a state when i got him and was a fair bit older than she said. I have had him for 7 years and he is about 23/24 now. had cancer but is fine now.
My ex racer is now 20, she is as fit as a fiddle and grumpy as sin just now because she is bored with no riding. she loves to get out and about. She is fitter and healthier than a lot of younger horses. I don't think horses can be written off just because they are older. I know of one who was still out jumping decent tracks in her mid 30's.
Both of mine have a home for life with me, but you never know what is round the corner.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
What happens in a lot of cases is that people get the best out of the pony/horse and then when it starts getting older decide that they want a younger model and off load it using change of circumstances etc. as the excuse. There are a lot of horse owners out there who have little or no emotional relationship with their horses and once they have got what they want out of them disgard them. Sorry but that is the truth of the matter. In many cases 'change of circumstances' means I want to go on to other things and am not interested in horses anymore.

annret

Visit site
I personally would sell rather than loan out - people always take much better care of their own property.

Additionally, we ended up with a 'middle-aged' horse when really we wanted something verging on a senior as no-one sells horses of that age when they're really often ideal for someone's first horse.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
What if their circumstances change? What if whoever owned him suddenly lost their job, and have exhausted all other options. That would amount to them having to sell him. I'd assume asking for £500 is a way of assuring themselves whoever buys him is sincere and isn't going to cart him away for meat.

I've had my boy for ten years now, he's 16 and I hope to keep him untill he's an old fluffy man. Fortunately for me, as I'm in fulltime education and work part time (though I don't make nearly enough to fund a horse) my parents pay for him. However should circumstances change, and they lost their jobs or worse, I would have no option but to find him a new home, albeit I don't think I could ever sell him, I would try to find him a loan home.

Enfys

Visit site
It is a better option than leaving them in a field to cope by themselves because you can no longer afford to feed or care for them.

At least the seller appears to be attempting to find homes for them. It is so easy to read a lot into adverts, unless someone phones to ask, who the heck are we to judge people without understanding what the situation is?

Didn't Shilasdair do a thread on this subject very recently?