Disgusted with what I've just watched

AoifeT

Visit site
Hi, guys sorry but I'm afraid I feel a rant coming on! :p

I was at the Cavan international show yesterday for the puissance (for the most part, what a show!!) Unfortunately, my night was somewhat spoiled by what I saw from a rider, Jordan Coyle.

http://goo.gl/2O1pDI (praying that that video works, I can't work technology :D )
Hopefully the above video takes you to Jordan Coyle's 3rd round in the puissance. Well he jumps the wall and as he leaves the arena, his poor horse is quite clearly lame on his outside hind leg. I was feeling very sorry for him and his horse as you would. As the 4th round went on, Jordan's name was called out for him to jump next, and I turned to my sister and said there's absolutely no way he's going to jump that horse...

http://goo.gl/eIDPnm
Next thing you know, after a bit of a delay, JC walks back into the area, horse mysteriously perfectly fine and no sign of lameness. In my opinion that horse has been injected to cover his lameness. I was absolutely disgusted and furious at him for doing, but also outraged at the organisers of the event who did nothing and allowed him to continue with the horse. Again, he walks out of the arena with the horse quite clearly lame again, whatever he may have given it didn't even last long enough for him to leave.

http://goo.gl/RniSdD
You can again see that the horse ends the round lame

http://goo.gl/MZAj4x
And again, in the presentation

Apologies that you can't really see a whole lot in some of the videos, but I myself was too shocked at what I was seeing to video.
Really put a downer on my otherwise enjoyable night, even my two nieces young were shocked and distressed that the 'hurt horsey' was continuing jumping the wall

Tea and biscuits definitely for those who got this far!! :redface4:

Last edited:

Regandal

Visit site
I haven't watched the videos (rushing off to work) but you can't accuse someone of injecting their horse. You don't know what he did to the horse.

stormox

Visit site
I dunno- you dont actually see the horse trot after the jump,and its hard to tell at walk and canter.could it have slight stringhalt?The vets are very strict at these events

AoifeT

Visit site
Very sorry Regandal if I seem to a bit accusatory, but I was quite in shock and I do understand, but this rider would have a bit of a reputation and I am only stating my opinion and the opinion of many others I spoke to on the night. Also, as i was speaking to these people, none seemed to know, like me, who we could speak to and I saw no organisers to voice my opinions to :)

AoifeT

Visit site
Also, i thought is was clearest in walk, which i am sorry but you don't get to see a lot of in those videos?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
just looks like mild stringhalt?

And I can't imagine anyone would manage an amazing injection to cover up a lameness.

Sorry I think you are completely off course here.

stormox

Visit site
I think the horse has stringhalt- wouldnt be any problem to it, lookat Shotgun Willy the steeplechaser. The vets are very strict at Cavan Coilog RDS and other big shows here.

be positive

Visit site
I also think it is stringhalt, very mild and it only shows in walk, there is no pain involved and horses can continue to compete at a high level.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just watched the presentation, the horse definitely just has stringhalt! No need to be discusted OP and perhaps clear up to your nieces that the horse is fine.

AoifeT

Visit site
Ok, sorry people i may have majorly overreacted here, as I am no expert and thank you for clearing this up for me :)

SusieT

Visit site
IF you see neglect or abuse at a show- go to the judges box. Ask the nearest person where it is. That way you can clarfy these issues sooner rather than getting the wrong end of the stick. haven't seen the vids- but normally a these things there would be a word had along the way if it was as lame as you say

Pigeon

Visit site
Yeah I thought stringhalt also.

I mean we probably would get called up for that at dressage? But as it is a mechanical issue rather than a lameness one, I guess it has been cleared by a vet.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Stringhalt affects the central nervous system and makes the horse snatch one hind leg instead of moving naturally

Some say it is the mildest form of wobblers syndrome. Many horses have stringhaly and productive working lives.

Elbie

Visit site
Stringhalt affects the central nervous system and makes the horse snatch one hind leg instead of moving naturally

Some say it is the mildest form of wobblers syndrome. Many horses have stringhaly and productive working lives.

I saw a racehorse at Stratford with stringhalt. Went on to win the race! Pre race while they were in the parade ring the commentators made an announcement to say don't worry its just string halt.

stormox

Visit site
I think JC would just be amazed and disgusted (I know I would)that someone who didnt know what stringhalt was had immediately jumped on to a public forum with accusations.
OP I think you should have asked nicely -if you had to put it on a forum at all- 'does anyone know why this horse walks like this?' Not just immediately accuse them of injecting their horse with some banned substance.

Auslander

Visit site
Forgive me for my ignorance but why is he bending the horse around to the right like that?

Flexing it to get it off its head and onto its hocks before jumping a HUGE wall! It's a very showjumper-y tactic, but it works. The horse is quite long and looks a bit inclined to run onto the forehand, which isn't ideal for Puissance.