Disgusted with what I've just watched

tristar

Visit site
stifle stickiness problems can look similar, the same in fact, and I have seen a horse at international level definitely lame, and complained.

the neck bending is to get the horse to come down on the bit, supple its neck to help it travel round corners with a correct bend and therefore balanced and arrive at the jump in a fluid approach and set it up to jump using it full power.

stormox

Visit site
Stifle stickiness isnt usually the same every stride, its usually worse after a halt, and eases up as you go along. This is very regular, Id definately say stringhalt.

Pilib

Visit site
Yeah I thought stringhalt also.

I mean we probably would get called up for that at dressage? But as it is a mechanical issue rather than a lameness one, I guess it has been cleared by a vet.

I have a horse with stringhalt and shivers and he does quite well at dressage, I haven't ever had a comment about it although I think his walk is a little odd at times, I often get comments about how nice his walk is!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Agree that it is stringhalt. I had a horse with stringhalt - best and soundest horse I ever had. Took him eventing, hunter trials and hunting and never had any lameness issues at all, and as far as I know went on the same after I sold him.
Our dressage was our weak spot, but that wasn't just because of the stringhalt!

marmalade88

Visit site
Just watched the presentation, the horse definitely just has stringhalt! No need to be discusted OP and perhaps clear up to your nieces that the horse is fine.

Yes my first thought was it's just go stringhalt.

OP it can look a bit weird when you first see a horse with it! Don't worry.

amage

Visit site
OP for the record the office is right beside the main arena and you could have easily walked in there and reported your concerns. It is manned 99.99999% of the time while a show is on! And I also think you should ask for this post to be removed or at least amend your OP as it is incredibly slanderous to the rider involved

Equi

Visit site
I don't believe it is slanderous. She has apologized for not knowing the condition and retracted it so to speak.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think JC would just be amazed and disgusted (I know I would)that someone who didnt know what stringhalt was had immediately jumped on to a public forum with accusations.
OP I think you should have asked nicely -if you had to put it on a forum at all- 'does anyone know why this horse walks like this?' Not just immediately accuse them of injecting their horse with some banned substance.

I expect he's heard it all before. Personally, if I had noted something like this and no one else (like the rider, officials and other competitors, who are far more experienced than I know I am) had mentioned anything, I would have sat back and wondered, not dreamed up a mad scenario with magic injections that no one else was worried about. I expect the op is young and hopefully has learned from the experience.

The first string halt horse I saw was on a yard and I did think oh what's wrong with that horse, and I found out by discreetly asking someone more "in the know" than I.

It would be good if the announcers mentioned such things I suppose, to avoid scenarios like this one.

Queenbee

Visit site
I haven't watched the videos (rushing off to work) but you can't accuse someone of injecting their horse. You don't know what he did to the horse.

whilst I agree with you (no one knows what was done to the horse) to me, this horse clearly should have been pulled from the competition. Its not even his walk at the end that disturbed me, after the first jump and before he does the wall... the rider brings the horse back to trot for about three strides... the horses gait is clearly off in trot even before the wall. However, as some have said - you just never know and yes, vets are normally quite strict in such cases. Perhaps there is more to it than you know. Again, as others have said - would have been great if you felt strongly enough to raise this at the event.

Last edited:

Queenbee

Visit site
I think JC would just be amazed and disgusted (I know I would)that someone who didnt know what stringhalt was had immediately jumped on to a public forum with accusations.
OP I think you should have asked nicely -if you had to put it on a forum at all- 'does anyone know why this horse walks like this?' Not just immediately accuse them of injecting their horse with some banned substance.

To be fair to op, that is a bit harsh. Its not the most common of conditions and there are those who have probably never encountered a horse with SH even if they have heard about it. Aside from accusing the rider of injecting the horse and perhaps not raising concerns with the appropriate people at the event, the OP has not done anything wrong other than be unfamiliar with the condition. She saw a horse that had an issue with its gait and was concerned/shocked/upset. Imagine if you were unaware of stringhalt... how would you have felt seeing that, I suspect you too would have assumed lameness (you may not have believed they were doping it up between rounds) but you would have been concerned.

In addition, there is nothing wrong with jumping on to a forum to air concerns (even if they had been raised at the event).

Queenbee

Visit site
OP for the record the office is right beside the main arena and you could have easily walked in there and reported your concerns. It is manned 99.99999% of the time while a show is on! And I also think you should ask for this post to be removed or at least amend your OP as it is incredibly slanderous to the rider involved

It is not slanderous, it is uniformed, the entire thread clearly addresses the fact that this horse is NOT lame, poor op, she was only concerned and uninformed! Lets shoot her now! There have been far worse posts on this forum in the past!

It would be good if the announcers mentioned such things I suppose, to avoid scenarios like this one.

I thought exactly the same!

Queenbee

Visit site
whilst I agree with you (no one knows what was done to the horse) to me, this horse clearly should have been pulled from the competition. Its not even his walk at the end that disturbed me, after the first jump and before he does the wall... the rider brings the horse back to trot for about three strides... the horses gait is clearly off in trot even before the wall. However, as some have said - you just never know and yes, vets are normally quite strict in such cases. Perhaps there is more to it than you know. Again, as others have said - would have been great if you felt strongly enough to raise this at the event.

See, I suppose this proves my point... I am very aware of the condition, but have never seen it in the flesh so to speak... Now I have, however, would I feel comfortable looking at ten horses some of which are lame and some of which have SH, not on that basis I wouldn't!

Well, hasn't this been educational :p

Emsarr

Visit site
I can't see the videos cause I'm at work and the computers are crap here but I just wanted to say to the OP, if you had an issue, you should have gone to the office at Cavan on the day. The staff there are really helpful and generally happy to sort things out for you if they can.