Dishing

How long before you could ride again?

• Total voters

sunny123

Visit site
I voted maybe, but i have two horses that dish, it doesnt really affect either of them and i have a brilliant farrier who has really helped! But it really depends on the horse, i dont really know about dressage i guess it depends how high level you want to take it, but for the lower levels im sure it would be fine!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I voted yes, though it depends.
My current horse dished a lot when I got him, he was also extremely underwieght with no muscle, was almost never ridden and had no schooling (I only got him as he was cheap!). But now after six months of proper schooling, feeding and a gradually increased workload he hardly dishes at all and it certainly hasn't caused him any lameness problems. I hope to compete him in dressage and we have done some low level competitions in which we get nice comments and certainly no mention of dishing. I know dishers aren't meant to make great jumpers and mine does have confidence issues (though I think this is related to bad past experiences rather than dishing), but he is getting there and does have a great jump and lots of scope in him.

So I'd say consider how much you like the horse for other reasons and if you like it enough I would go for it, despite the dishing, if the horse is only young/green then this should improve a lot with regular training. If however the horse has been well schooled but still dishes badly then I might reconsider. Watch how it goes when ridden and consider whether you think the dishing would put off a dressage judge or is bad enough to predispose it to injury.

Good luck!
smile.gif

jojoebony

Visit site
I said nope, as I've had a bad experience, I know it's not rational as many horses that dish can stay sound and do a fair amount of work, but past experience would put me off.
Jo

Krysha_n_Helga

Visit site
the horse that i am looking at is on just 4 and only dishes Slightly. Dont know weather or not this is good a he is younger or not ?
would like to affil in dressage with him in the future but not a must.
here he is
Picture20005.jpg

what do you think i know it not a good picture looks 10 times better when you see him.

Folara

Visit site
My boy dishes inwards slightly on one front leg. He is working at Medium level at home and competes at Elem level with no problem. If I was looking for another dressage horse to go up the levels to say GP I would want a straight action but as I had Gen from a foal I had no choice.

If you dont want to go too far (say med/adv.med) then I dont think a slight dish is too bad.

Also as others have said with decent farriery, plenty of strengthening work he could (not would) grow out of it to a certain degree. It depends where the dish is coming from i.e. from the knee.

amandaco2

Visit site
maybe- a slight dish is actually helpful for lateral work as long as the footfalls are straight(ie 2 tracks)
not sure about eventing, wouldnt have thought it would matter too much unless it was affecting te horses joints and soundness

Nari

Visit site
As long as he stays sound it wouldn't bother me & as some of the others have said it may well improve as he gets older & strnger. BD guidlines for judges are that a horse must not be marked down for dishing, I was told this by a judge I was writing for when a horse came in with the worst dishing I've ever seen!

Krysha_n_Helga

Visit site
Thank you for your help
He dont dish from the knee if you wasnt looking for it you wouldnt know it was there all so i heared someone say that horse that dish cant really jump well, well he can jump anything with no probs.
i think i am going to go for it coz i only want to go up to Elem level with him as i am not really to the higher shows yet.

Tempi

Visit site
Archie dishes, no judge has ever commented on it - its actually getting less now he is having good regular shoeing. I brought him for Grand Prix level dressage!!

jumpthemoon

Visit site
My horse dishes slightly and he passed a 5 stage vetting with flying colours. I want to do dressage and SJ with him and don't see why I would have a problem. Look at the Spanish horses that are used for dressage - they all dish!

Doublethyme

Visit site
I voted yes, but depending on the type of dishing.

My first mare dished badly - she passed a 5 stage vetting with flying colours (apart from vet warned me about her behaviour wise!!
ooo.gif
). Only thing he said was that she was almost 100% likely to throw splints on both fronts because of the extreme dishing. She was just 4 when I got her, tragically lost her at 10 in a field accident, but that mare never had a sad or sorry day in the 6 years I had her and never threw those splints, despite the fact that at that time she had complete control of me for a lot of her younger years and would trot at extreme speeds on the road, despite my feeble requests for her not to
blush.gif
smile.gif
!!

She did dish on both legs outwards though, so no interference to herself, but it was extreme enough when she was 4 to catch you on the leg if you were leading her in hand. Did improve over time as her balance and schooling improved.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Not all Spanish horses dish?! I know of a pure bred locally who doesn't. Think it depends on how high their leg action is (which obviously varies).

I have 2 horses which dish and its never caused any problems. Only time Ive been peeved with it is for showing, but you dont plan to do any of that so dont worry about it.