Dismounting to the 'wrong' side

wiglet

Visit site
I have arthritic changes to my right hip and dismounting to the left is proving difficult - I can't throw my right leg up enough to get it cleanly over my horses back/bum so, I was thinking about dismounting to the right. I think it will feel a bit weird but it will be so much more comfortable for me... I think.

Does anyone else do this? Are there any reasons not to try it? It's got to be worth a go hasn't it?

Roxylola

Visit site
I get on and off both sides, I used to be equally good but I'm not quite as pingy on the right these days because I don't do it as much - just where the mounting block lives.
The first time I rode Charlie I got off on his right and he did a real surprised double take and whiffle at me. He's used to my weirdness now though

Britestar

Visit site
I always dismount on the right.

It started when I damaged the ligaments in my left knee, and now I've had a left hip replacement (after an accident, and sadly awaiting a revision), I continue to do so.

I don't even think about it anymore. I get the odd funny look at shows, but to me it's totally normal.

Skib

sites.google.com
I have enormous difficulty getting off. I get off to the left, cavalry fashion, using the left stirrup. But if my left leg ever proves inadequate to take my weight, I would ask to dismount on the right. It was even suggested to me today. I believe in the BHS riding and road safety test one needs to be able to dismount both sides.

If you own a horse, there is no massive problem. But I am a sharer of RS horses and riding schools expect things to be done in a certain way and correctly.

Widgeon

Visit site
Not sure if this is just a folk tale but I've always believed that the tradition of mounting from the left came from a time when riders might wear a sword, so mounting / dismounting from the right just wouldn't work. So entirely irrelevant to today.

Personally I think life would be easier if we and our horses were all used to getting on and off from different sides depending on the situation (e.g. out hacking sometimes you have to be able to chuck yourself on or off, quickly and neatly, from the "wrong" side).

So I would just crack on, but bear in mind that your horse might be a bit surprised to see you appear on the other side the first couple of times.

Mustard

Visit site
The last time I rode, I got stuck because my right leg wouldn't come over the saddle. I hadn't been on for a while, and hadn't realised how bad my hip had got. I went off the wrong side, leg gave way and I ended up sitting at the horse's feet. Apart from looking a bit surprised, she was fine with it.

Arzada

Visit site
As well as choosing your preferred side the lower you get your head and shoulders the easier it will be to lift your legs up and over. In my most stiff phase I was almost lying on the pommel and then I would swing my leg over to join the other leg. It helped that I had vaulted for a period so I learned to vault on and off with my head down almost next to the horse's shoulder which made it easier to get and and then to shoot off.

MissMay

Visit site
I have always taught my horses both sides it's a crucial thing to learn.
For situations like this but also where maybe its not possible to mount or dismount as normal you don't want a horse to spook at an inopportune moment.

I also throw a leg forward and dismount that way as well sometimes. I teach them anything I choose to do is normal and should be tolerated

zoon

Visit site
I just can’t coordinate it! I certainly should practice - one time riding a horse I had for sale on a particularly painful day, my left leg gave way on dismounting and I ended up in a heap almost under the poor horse. Nervous lady wanted a rock steady dressage horse and bought him on the spot, but I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to not practice getting off on the “wrong” side!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Not sure if this is just a folk tale but I've always believed that the tradition of mounting from the left came from a time when riders might wear a sword, so mounting / dismounting from the right just wouldn't work.
This and also I was taught it was safer or preferable to mount from the left for hacking/ hunting as the right side would be into the road.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is useful to be able to dismount at either side but I stand my horse next to a high mounting block to dismount, so that can step onto it without needing so much leg throwing.

DSB

Visit site
All our stockhorses were taught to accept mount/dismount,saddle/unsaddle,rug/unrug from either side.Also to carry a calf,ignore a stock whip and some of them were taught to stand for the rider to shoot a rifle.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Honestly dont know why there's a set side to do it. I do it the "correct" way purely because years of pony club ingrained the habit into me and Ive found a can get my left leg higher up than my right so it suits me (perhaps its what made that leg more flexible!). Do whatever works for you, horse doesnt care!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I dismount on both sides. Mostly on the right, because where I pull up after yard hacks it's slightly downhill to the left, so momentum means I risk looking a tit and rolling over!

Birker2020

Visit site
I have arthritic changes to my right hip and dismounting to the left is proving difficult - I can't throw my right leg up enough to get it cleanly over my horses back/bum so, I was thinking about dismounting to the right. I think it will feel a bit weird but it will be so much more comfortable for me... I think.

Does anyone else do this? Are there any reasons not to try it? It's got to be worth a go hasn't it?
Do you use a mounting block to dismount onto? If you don't I suspect that is what is aggravating your hip.
I for one can't dismount onto the floor, it hurts too much.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I’ve only tried dismounting on the ‘wrong’ side once and horse was very confused about why I was on that side. Which is why it’s good to do it I guess! I could not get my head around how I could possibly get on on the ‘wrong’ side tho! I assume it’s possible?!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not sure if this is just a folk tale but I've always believed that the tradition of mounting from the left came from a time when riders might wear a sword, so mounting / dismounting from the right just wouldn't work. So entirely irrelevant to today.
This is indeed why we mount and dismount from the left side. Unless we are falconers, in which case we do it from the other side (because we carry the bird on the left hand), and it's called "the falconer's mount".