displacement of stifle

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Hi, has anyone had the same problem in an 18 month old colt,this morning we fed the boys as usual and went and picked up droppings, when went to pick up their feed bowls, Lenny walked towards us but dragging his right hindleg. Panic stations, but there was not heat/swelling he was not stressed out in fact not bothered at all,we just couldn't pick that leg up,what seem to us was a lifetime but not much more than 5 minutes he walked away sound, this has never as we know happened before. Got home and looked in my vet books and this what we could find. He is Cylesdale/Welsh,anybody else have the same problem and what they have done.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's not uncommon in youngsters , particularly of the heavier breeds. If it happens again, try to push him backwards and it should free up. The general management rules are: avoid stabling, ideally paddock him on a hill side, or introduce in-hand walking exercise up and down hills. They normally grow out of it! Obviously, if it happens frequently - or if you can't free it up quickly -speak to your vet but there's not much by way of suitable 'treatment' at this stage.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Many thanks Janetgeorge, but My lot all stabled during the winter,but have turnout believe it or not on a steep hill,during the summer after we have taken the hay off the 3 boys go out on a 5 acre field, it does have a slight slope,but where my stables are the 3 acre paddock is a hill which is a 1/4 the stables at the lower part. This is the first time we have seen this,he did have his feet trimmed yesterday but no problems,my hubby wondered if this could have triggered it.

Montyforever

Visit site
My mare has this when she was 7 because she lost a lot of weight when she got laminitis. I was just told exercise exercise exercise. Lots of walking up hill (inhand because she's not rideable!) and lunging and just keeping her lunging through it and if there was no improvement in 2 weeks to call them out. It was hard because she started to panic when it slipped out but we got there eventually, she hasn't had a problem since :) there was never any heat/swelling around her stifle it just used to slip out when she went up into trot