Displacement of stifle

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Put this in NL, This morning feed the 3 boys and went and picked up droppings,when we got back to where the boys were,Lenny my 17 month old colt was dragging his right hindleg, he's a Clyesdale/welsh. Not heat,no swelling and we cann't/hubby cann't remember if he was ok when fed,I was busy talking to our nextdoor neighbour. After about 5 mins he was walking normal and tonight he was ok, has anyone had the same experience.

Archiepoo

Visit site
sounds just like locking patella my pony has it. it doesnt hurt them when they lock up and happens less if they live out . if they come in at night make as big a bed as you can to encourage them to lie out flat . when they lock up just make them walk backwards or turn in a tight circle to click the leg back to normal. they sometimes grow out of it and if theyre a bit fat it will happen less but most will stop once theyre in work as they muscle up.:)

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Many thanks They are stabled at night during the winter,but turned out during the day. My small field is a 1/4 hill where the stables are and this has never happened before, I've owned him since he was 4 months old and yesterday he had his feet trimmed but they are done every 6 weeks anyway. The boys are out on our hayfield and will be coming in end of October for the winter. I think we were more upset than he was as he didn't seem to notice he was dragging his right hindleg behind. Shall ring the vet.

Archiepoo

Visit site
the vet usually doesnt do anything,it doesnt cause them any pain. if its only occasional i wouldnt worry too much,it really isnt distressing for the horse,when my pony locks up (hes 8 and it still happens occasionally ) he just stands and waits for someone to fix it for him-oh bless:)just had a thought- my pony locks up much more if hes trimmed at 6 to 8 weeks and much less if its 12 -14 weeks- i know it goes against the rules but its much better if hes left longer

Last edited:

mynutmeg

Visit site
Sounds like stifle lock - there's loads of info online but basically the ligament that attaches to the top of the patella catches (the mechanism that lets them lock their leg to sleep) and doesn't release, locking the leg straight.
It's not painful but I found my mare does get achy if she locked regularly. It's connected to straight stifle conformation.
As your youngster grows he may grow out of it but he may get worse, you won't know until he's 4 or 5 how it will affect him long term. Most of them will grow out of it but some remain affected and some are mildly affected. If severe once the horse is fully grown then there are surgical options but they are not to be taken lightly so I wouldn't go near them until the horse has finished growing.
In the meantime as much turnout as possible, in hand work to strengthen the upper thigh muscles etc will all help. Occasionally the leg will lock and not unlock which can require a vet but backing them up or turning in a circle will help to unlock a stuck leg.
Good luck with him and give him time to finish growing :)