Dissertation Questionnaire

i_lash

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am currently in my final year at Harper Adams University studying BsC (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare. As part of my research for my dissertation I am looking at owner perception of problem behaviours in dogs. The link to my questionnaire is below and if you have ever owned a dog and could spare a few minutes to fill it out I would really appreciate it.

https://harper-adams.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/owner-perception-of-behavioural-problems-in-companion-dogs

If you have any questions feel free to message me either on here or via the email on the questionnaire.

Many Thanks

Leo Walker

Visit site
I started to do this and gave up as I was needing to write mini essays in the free form text box. I think you need to look at this again and provide check boxes or similar. If nothing else, analysing your data is going to be an absolute nightmare otherwise!

{97702}

Visit site
I found the same to be honest - and as with all these type of questionnaires it assumes you have one dog, I have five! I’d be interested to see it again when you’ve revised it though ?

gallopingby

Visit site
I too gave up! It astounds me how many people post questionnaire as part of a research project and clearly haven’t carried out a pilot test to check validity. I know l did my masters research a long time ago now but one of the first things we were told was to ask the gender/ age related questions etc at the end and to kept saying ? thank you. I sometimes wonder whether the course tutors these days bother to look at this or whether it’s just a free for all to gather info which by its very design can’t be construed to be valid.

i_lash

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback.

Unfortunately now the questionnaire has already been launched and I have received a large number of responses I cannot alter the design of the questions as this will impact on the validity and make me unable to properly analyse the results. I have conducted a pilot questionnaire on members of the public, university lecturers and students. My dissertation supervisor also completed the questionnaire and gave me feedback which I have used to alter the questionnaire. My research questions require me to compare different groups regarding gender and age and therefore these are necessary as part of the questionnaire. I chose to use comment boxes rather than tick questions as these can be leading, where as I am interested in the knowledge people actually have. All the questions are voluntary so if there are any you would rather miss out that is absolutely fine.

Any other questions feel free to ask and thank you to all of those who have completed the questionnaire.

Zero00000

Visit site
I tried and it wouldn't let me continue, kept saying question 15 was a problem, I checked 3 times and couldn't see the issue so gave up.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
As a Harper Grad I wanted to finish it but I hate open form question. I made the same mistake in my dissertation and the analysis was near impossible. At least you'll have something to mention in your viva. ? Good luck! I'll try and come back to fill it in tomorrow

{97702}

Visit site
OK - I’ll give it one more go, and pretend I’ve only got one dog ?

I’ll choose a greyhound of course ?

Done! Mine was the one that finished ‘humans need more training than dogs do’ ???

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I didn't find a problem, completed. Better then some I have done.

Think you may have had better results if you had said to think of a particular dog for the entire survey, then think of another dog and do the survey again.

The question for ranking was tricky as I thought some had equal weight.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I also gave up, it would take me far too long to bother. If you put an estimated time at the beginning it would have saved me bothering.

alice28

New User
Visit site
Completed.
Didn't see a problem with the length of the questionnaire and I liked that all the boxes were optional so if you didn't want to write anything you did not have to. After doing a Honours research project last year, I know the need for extra details from the questionnaire participants for the analysis part, so I feel this was a reasonable length

i_lash

Visit site
Just wanted to pop back and say thank you to everyone that has been filling out the questionnaire over the last few weeks. I really appreciate it :)