Dissertation research Questions!

DPDOT

Visit site
Good evening,

I am starting the process of finding my research question for my dissertation.(Equine Science Degree)

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who many have a question or thought that they believe needs more research done on. I am hoping to point this dissertation in a Medical/health or Welfare direction. So any research ideas in those areas would be gratefully received!

Thank you in advance

ShettieMob

Visit site
Nutrition and hindgut health, and the impact on the whole horse. There's so much we still don't understand
(I'm on a bit of a hindgut 'journey' with one of mine following a whole heap of health issues (skin, liver, breathing, feet.......) and seeing a massive positive impact of stripping the diet right back to plain grass nuts and specific herbs and minerals, vs. the commercially available feeds & balancers. Something in them just doesn't agree with my little ones!)

rextherobber

Visit site
PSSM/muscle myopathies ? I'd put this in The Tack Room (though I agree, you have put it under the right section!) - you'll get more answers there possibly. Good luck with your dissertation!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
A few years ago, I read articles about horse welfare legislation in Denmark. Unfortunately, I can't find any articles on Google anymore. Essentially, they'd introduced laws that ensured all horses had stables with enough room, ventilation and natural light. Every horse had to be guaranteed at least two hours of turnout per day, unless the horse had a medical exemption.
It seemed to me, that the UK was lagging far behind in equine welfare.
Last year, Denmark was the first country to recognise all animals as sentient beings, a new law which will give horses, pets, livestock and wildlife more welfare protection.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Health and welfare both. I'd like to see some research into behavioural, facial and hormonal signs of stress in barn stabled horses versus horses in outdoor stables.

paddy555

Visit site
Health and welfare both. I'd like to see some research into behavioural, facial and hormonal signs of stress in barn stabled horses versus horses in outdoor stables.

every horse is different. Some can be stabled anywhere and couldn't care less some will weave and crib at the thought of a stable wherever it is.
There is a lot more to reducing stress than inside or outside stables. Companionship is high on the list. It may be more important to some if their friend spends his time with his head in their stable and they continually groom. Others may hide in the corner in terror at the prospect. Some horses are loners and like humans some prefer company and lots going on.

I would guess that research would show some prefer indoor stables and some outdoor. That is simply for the owner to be able to read their horse. The owner has to trust their own judgement not because research tells them something else.

As far as accommodation goes I would like to see more research and ideas into innovative horse accommodation design getting away from stabling and into a freer environment and how adaptations can be made to much of our older stabling stock in the UK.
Also, although it may well be pretty obvious, how stabling (ie with no yarding) for long periods affects the health and movement of the horse. Again that is probably pretty unquantifiable.

I was quite surprised at one horse this week. He has a stable with an open door, small yard and paths(small tracks) that he is able to wander around on all night albeit at a walk usually and he does wander a fair amount.
This week everyone had to be stabled with closed doors for one night due to OH concreting.
That horse is ridden daily. His decline in performance after a night shut in was very obvious. He was a lot stiffer.

Also, OP, lots more needed on PSSM, muscles and hind gut. No shortage is subjects to get your teeth into. :D

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
every horse is different. Some can be stabled anywhere and couldn't care less some will weave and crib at the thought of a stable wherever it is.
There is a lot more to reducing stress than inside or outside stables. Companionship is high on the list. It may be more important to some if their friend spends his time with his head in their stable and they continually groom. Others may hide in the corner in terror at the prospect. Some horses are loners and like humans some prefer company and lots going on.

I would guess that research would show some prefer indoor stables and some outdoor. That is simply for the owner to be able to read their horse. The owner has to trust their own judgement not because research tells them something else.

As far as accommodation goes I would like to see more research and ideas into innovative horse accommodation design getting away from stabling and into a freer environment and how adaptations can be made to much of our older stabling stock in the UK.
Also, although it may well be pretty obvious, how stabling (ie with no yarding) for long periods affects the health and movement of the horse. Again that is probably pretty unquantifiable.

I was quite surprised at one horse this week. He has a stable with an open door, small yard and paths(small tracks) that he is able to wander around on all night albeit at a walk usually and he does wander a fair amount.
This week everyone had to be stabled with closed doors for one night due to OH concreting.
That horse is ridden daily. His decline in performance after a night shut in was very obvious. He was a lot stiffer.

Also, OP, lots more needed on PSSM, muscles and hind gut. No shortage is subjects to get your teeth into. :D

Well thanks for your answer Paddy, but I'd like some research. I see and sense a lot more unhappy horses inside barns than I ever have in outside stabling. But I made the suggestion in answer to the OP, not to start a debate/thread about it.

DPDOT

Visit site
PSSM/muscle myopathies ? I'd put this in The Tack Room (though I agree, you have put it under the right section!) - you'll get more answers there possibly. Good luck with your dissertation!

thank you very much for your response! I will try posting there also :)

I lost my heart horse a week before his 2nd birthday at the end of April this year due to severe symptoms and illness caused by PSSM2 so one of my top options is researching PSSM2 in Native breeds.

Thank you again :

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Is the incidence of Cushings disease greater in horses with restricted access to natural light/outdoor turnout compared to those with full access to year round turn out? Idly musing whether restricting access to natural outdoor life somehow affects the pituitary.

rextherobber

Visit site
thank you very much for your response! I will try posting there also :)

I lost my heart horse a week before his 2nd birthday at the end of April this year due to severe symptoms and illness caused by PSSM2 so one of my top options is researching PSSM2 in Native breeds.

Thank you again :
So sorry for your loss, its heartbreaking, he was so young ...