Distances for polework

sandi_84

Visit site
According to "Poles and Gridwork" Trotting poles between 4-5ft depending on your horses stride. I couldn't remember this either the other day for a girl in the school so I did a bit of trial and error and figured it out that way - took me two goes to get it right - and then again for canter poles. Bless the horse I was moving poles for, he didn't freak out he just adjusted his stride till I got it right :eek:

sandi_84

Visit site
Thanks Sandi, my problem is I dont have a helper on the ground so I am trying to set them up right before i start :)

Ah I see... you could try setting them up and doing a bit of walk/trot over them in hand to see if you've got it right? Either that or use my old favourite of hijack the nearest person! :D

summerguest

Visit site
you could check by lunging over trotting poles, you want his feet to land half way between the poles. If his feet land nearer to the next pole you need bigger distance, nearer to the last pole..you need to put them closer together. One human stride plus length of your foot is a good guide to start with.

For canter I use 3 big human strides between poles.