disunited canter on circles

goodtimes

Visit site
Should I be worried?
Tack and teeth are absolutely fine - had them checked.
He is fine when out cantering on hacks and in straight lines, it is in the school and on the lunge.
Back lady is booked for next week - so I will see what she says, but I'm wondering whether a trip to the vets might be worth it?

If it is a training issue (he is 8 but has done very little school work) do I bring him back to trot or send him forward until he changes legs?

zoon

Visit site
My ex racer does this. My instructor said it was weakness and it did indeed improve as she was schooled, but not 100%. Now being investigated for possible SI injury or kissing spines. I used to bring back to trot straight away and immediately back to correct canter

Saucisson

Visit site
My horse does this but I don't think it's a medical problem as he's fine when my instructor rides him :eek:

I think there's a couple of reasons, he's a bit lazy, I'm not a fantastic rider and I have a tendancy to drop my weight to the inside on a circle (I also cycle a lot :rolleyes:). I'm now concentrating on moving my weight over to the outside to free up his inside foreleg - it's not easy :p

Is it working? Not sure yet.............;)

sugarpuff

Visit site
This could be several things but from my experience my ned ended up being diagnosed with sacroiliac joint issues. (possibly strained in the field but we will never know for sure). He was finding it v hard to canter on lunge and ridden in a circle, kept going disunited, but looked uncomfortable when trying to canter. Ended up with a referral for a bone scan, steroid injections into joint, 2months working long and low on Pessoa, and now lots of correct work. Joint has to be kept strong at all times now so no easy life for him!! But he is back in full work and doing well, but will probably always have a weakness there.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Same experience as Saucisson. My boy is fine on hacks and on lunge. My instructor has no problems although in early days he did go disunited occasionally. He is very sensitive and I am working on my straightness. But had back etc checked and do so regularly. Please don't make me think about KS etc....

kirstyl

Visit site
Is this horse new to you? If so, vet will have to see your horse before Physio / McTimoney will come out. Lots of horses will go disunited due to being unschooled and unbalanced and can work through these difficulties. Best to get full health checks done first

goodtimes

Visit site
I've had him nearly a year now but have done very little flatworm with him. He canters fine when out and in straight lines

Nickles1973

Visit site
My horse started off just going disunited occaisionally in corners on the right rein when increasing his work which was put down to lack of balance/fitness etc. It did get better when he was in more work.
However this year it progressed to both reins and ultimately he was struggling in a straight line. I have just had a positive diagnosis of arthritis in his left hind feltock and pastern and queery S/I strain. (S/I pain at the moment is being blamed on him compensating for the pain in his fetlock but there is a chance that the arthritis has only come to light because he has strained his S/I)
My advice would be to call the vet. I wish I had listened to the little voice in my head a year ago when I felt that his disuniting wasn't right.
Good luck.

goodtimes

Visit site
I do have a little voice in my head I ust admit.
My trainer still thinks its a balance issue, but this has been going on for a while now

zoon

Visit site
Sounds the same as me - 2 instructors and 2 vets said it was a balance/strength issue, but I pushed and now they have finally listened. In for a bone scan soon as back legs fine (no spavin arthritis etc). I'm hoping nothing is found and they are right, but at least I then have peace of mind or an action plan if something is wrong

goodtimes

Visit site
UPDATE
I listened to the little voice in my head a gave him a bute trial - bingo, he was 90% correct rather than 90% disunited.

Off to horspital tomorrow afternoon:(