Video Disunited jumping

Chippers1

Visit site
I posted this video of our second 80cm course on Sunday but I just wondered about the disuniting in canter around the course.
If you look closely there's three separate occasions where he goes disunited and I'm not sure what to do to fix it! Is it a balance issue? Is it because I'm more nervous when it gets to 80? It mainly seems to be him changing his front legs either when I've brought him back to trot to change his canter lead or if I try to...maybe it's because I don't completely bring him back to trot?

He can do flying changes going from right to left but he doesn't get them spot on every time.
I also think with the bigger course that I'm concentrating on keeping him going over the jumps so just keep him going forward and he's actually quite balanced still but obviously I don't want to keep it up! Another point is that sometimes he's difficult to pull up as he's going forward so I don't like to mess with him too much. He does react to my seat so that could be me also..I'm not sure.

After all that rambling, does anyone have any idea about what I can do to help this? I am looking for an instructor so that will help and I can do some pole work at home (long story why I can't get jumps out atm...) And I go out pretty much every weekend to jump. I will also add that the two practice 80 courses I've done previously he's disunited for maybe 2/3 strides too but not as much as when at a comp.

Thanks! Vid below:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

be positive

Visit site
He only went disunited once in that round, that I noticed, at the far end not sure which fences you were at, when you came back to trot between fences 3 and 4 he didn't actually change so came into fence 4 on the wrong leg, there was a neat change towards the end of the course, from right to left, the round was twisty but you looked to have time to ride nicely and he is a super pony.

I think at this stage it tends to be best to keep moving forward, as you are, rather than fiddling about trying to get the correct lead all the time, ponies are clever and it is more important to concentrate on the jumping than whether or not everything is correct.
I would work more on the canter in general at home, have some lessons when you can, I try and correct them at home but accept when they are in the ring as long as they are jumping confidently things may not be quite as good as they could be, the more you do the better they get, the more confident you both become and then you can start to ask for more, the main thing is having them jumping confidently which you both seem to be even if you are a little nervous at times.

Chippers1

Visit site
Thanks for your reply and feedback, and you are right! I was so sure he was disunited going.from 3 to 4 as it felt like it but actually slowing it down he was on the wrong canter lead, maybe just the pooing making it feel odd. He disunites twice at the bottom, once going left (to fence 6) and going right to fence 9.

His right canter is more unbalanced than his left so I do need to work more on it so that will be our plan, I think you're right though with just concentrating on going forward! Hopefully we'll both get more confident, especially as this height is so easy for him, just doing more...I was terrified of jumping a cross pole only last April so we've come a long way 😊

Chippers1

Visit site
@Red-1 thank you, that's kind of you to say! As mentioned above I have some confidence issues so it's nice to hear we're doing some bits right 😊

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a lovely round, you dont have anything to worry about regarding your riding, and he looks like a great pony...he can do flying changes and he looks quite balanced on the corners even in counter canter...i would suggest having some flat work lessons to concentrate on the canter and as long as you leave the jumps up i wouldnt worry too much about which leg he is on, he will sort himself out....

alexomahony

Visit site
As others have said - he'll sort his legs out and he is a very clean, efficient non-spooky jumper - lovely pony and lovely rider, looks like a nice rhythmic round and you didn't look nervous at all!! (I saw you pushing on for those 4 strides along the long sides!) Well done :)

Flatwork is always the way forward ;)

Chippers1

Visit site
he is a very clean, efficient non-spooky jumper - lovely pony and lovely rider, looks like a nice rhythmic round and you didn't look nervous at all!!

This makes me so pleased, our first few rounds we ever did were a disaster because he was so spooky, he hated fillers and my nerves were terrible so we just made each other worse! I've done a lot of desensitising jumping and taking it right back height wise so to get feedback like this is amazing, thank you :)