Dithering about dressage

Pippity

Visit site
I want to take my share horse out for some unaffiliated intro/prelim dressage (all approved by her owner), but I'm dithering.

First, dressing me. I know I'd have to check the rules for the venue, but I'm figuring if I dress for BD, I should be fine. I normally ride in brown jodh boots and half-chaps, and the half-chaps are probably a 'no'. Could I get away with something like the Shires synthetic gaiters or would I have to shell out for leather ones? (I haven't seen the Shires ones in the flesh so no idea how tacky they look.) Other than that, brown tweed jacket (if I can still fit in it!), shirt, tie, beige jodhs. And would I be better with a skullcap with a velvet silk or my Uvex looks-like-a-bike-helmet-but-is-really-comfortable?

Second, the horse. G's done affiliated up to advanced medium, so I'm torn between worrying that she'll take over and score 90% on her own with no input from me, or that I'll totally let her down, score in the 30%s, and her owner will banish me from ever riding her again. Also, is it *polite* to take her into an intro class?

Basically, somebody give me a kick up the arse and tell me to stop worrying and get on with it!

Shay

Visit site
If its unaffilliated you should be fine as long as its neat. Dressage is about the horse not you - but being neat is respectful to the judge. Half chaps are perfectly acceptable; as is either hat. Tweeds tend to be thought of as for children - but certainly no reason not to wear them.

You are going to have to check the rules on the horse and it will probably vary from comp to comp - but you may find that some, Pony Club for example, will restrict the classes she can enter unless there has been a considerable gap in her record.

You might to better re-posting this in competition and training. there are bound to be some BD peeps who can help.

Pippity

Visit site
I don't have a show jacket atm - but I'll keep an eye out on ebay - so it's tweed or nothing, unfortunately!

There has been a fairly long gap in her record - she had a suspensory ligament injury and was turned away for several years, before being brought back into work a year or so ago. She's 19 now, so not likely to be doing anything above novice again.

C&T scares me - so many people competing at amazingly high levels, and I'm dithering about a sodding intro test!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I took my boy to his first intro test last weekend and wore the below as we were entered in to showing classes afterwards and I just couldn't be bothered to change clothes in between.

DSC_0370.jpg

Hat-wise I'd be inclined to wear the jockey skull with a silk as it'll give a much neater appearance. I believe the rules for our intro test were the partnership couldn't have been placed before but it's worth checking with the organisers just in case. Either way, good luck, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Tweeds tend to be thought of as for children - but certainly no reason not to wear them.

Tell that to all the adults who ride in tweed, especially those out eventing, doing the DR and SJ phase in tweed. And I see plenty of adults doing pure DR and SJ in tweed at UA. I do everything in tweed, I don't own a plain show jacket and have no intention of ever buying one.

OP, you will be fine, stop worrying. Intro classes are designed for people and/or horses who are new to it so I would give it a go. You can always just do one Intro then move to Prelims for future competitions if you feel like you're being a bit naughty. Good luck! :)

Pippity

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, folks! Owner is now looking for a suitable competition for us (she's going to take G in a prelim) and sorting transport! Eeek! Now to try to get G to engage her arse and stop dawdling...

Auslander

Visit site
Tweed always used to be considered correct at the lower levels. It's only recently that it has become the norm for people to wear black/navy.
I'm not sure I'd be very pleased if I was competing at intro level on a horse that was working at that level, and found out that another horse in the class had competed at AM affiliated, no matter whether it was under a different rider or not. Technically, I could probably do unaffiliated intro with Alf, but I just wouldn't. If I wanted to ride an intro test in a competitive environment, I'd go HC - whether it was in the rules or not.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm not sure I'd be very pleased if I was competing at intro level on a horse that was working at that level, and found out that another horse in the class had competed at AM affiliated, no matter whether it was under a different rider or not. Technically, I could probably do unaffiliated intro with Alf, but I just wouldn't. If I wanted to ride an intro test in a competitive environment, I'd go HC - whether it was in the rules or not.

I had a suspicion that might be the case. Bother. Now I don't know what to do. My canter transitions are still too spotty for prelim. (Well, walk-canter is great. Trot-canter, not so much - leftover from the ligament injury that ended her affiliated work ten years or so ago.)

Auslander

Visit site
I had a suspicion that might be the case. Bother. Now I don't know what to do. My canter transitions are still too spotty for prelim. (Well, walk-canter is great. Trot-canter, not so much - leftover from the ligament injury that ended her affiliated work ten years or so ago.)

Sorry! You could go HC - still get to go to parties, but not doing it to win!