DIY liveries how much do you expect the YO to do?

Irishcobs

Visit site
For example would you expect your YO to replace a blown light bulb in your stable or tack room? A normal light not a strip light.
Or if the electric tape in your individual paddock was a bit saggy would you expect the YO to tighten it for you?

Simple things like this I would not bother my YO with. The light bulb I would buy a new one and replace myself as I use it.
And the tape I would tighten as so as I noticed it.
Obviously some things need special equipment etc so the YO will have to be involved, like when my horse burst the water pipe in her paddock (it was on the surface), the YO had to replace that section on the pipe and bury it.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Other than giving me what I'm paying for and maintenance of the yard ie fences and gates and stables etc. I expect nothing from a DIY livery yard other than being left alone.

I'm one of these people to which DIY means DIY, not a YO sticking their nose into how I look after my horse nor why I do my stables/feeds/haynets a certain way or sorting out a farrier/hay/straw supplier etc DIY means you do it yourself, your paying for facilities not for someone to tell you what to do or when to do it.

Basic rules I'm fine with but some yards make DIY so complicated with unnecessary rules and sticking their nose in where it don't belong. I prefer to rent stales and gazing from farmers as I get left to it.

So no I wouldn't expect YO to fix a bulb in MY tack space nor fix MY leccy fencing that I put up. Boundary fencing yes, yard or stable lights like floodlights yes but my stuff no :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnaughty

Visit site
I would expect YO to maintain the facilities, down to replacing the light bulbs.

Agree with this - oh and make sure there is toilet paper in the loo too!

Basically, you choose the yard you are at depending on what YOU want from the yard and how much you are willing to pay. ie. dont moan if your yard does not provide a particular service - you chose it and if you are the yard owner, don't change the goal posts after something has been agreed ..... simples!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Depends how much I was paying. If I was paying full whack to be at a smart yard with good facilities I would probably expect more than I do because I pay minimal livery and am at a pretty basic yard. Don't know if that is logical or not mind you..

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
For example would you expect your YO to replace a blown light bulb in your stable or tack room? A normal light not a strip light.
Or if the electric tape in your individual paddock was a bit saggy would you expect the YO to tighten it for you?

Simple things like this I would not bother my YO with. The light bulb I would buy a new one and replace myself as I use it.
And the tape I would tighten as so as I noticed it.
Obviously some things need special equipment etc so the YO will have to be involved, like when my horse burst the water pipe in her paddock (it was on the surface), the YO had to replace that section on the pipe and bury it.

It depends what the contract/ arrangement is really. Some yards I have been on don't like you to do any DIY fixing or maintenance in case you do a botch job and not all light fittings are accessible without quite big stepladders mine isn't and is a strip light. I wouldn't generally expect to replace lightbulbs in communal areas especially if I had to buy them. The sagging wire I would probably deal with unless it needed more major work.

Recently we ended up screwing the tap back on the wall that was hanging off because the YM was being belligerent and wouldn't fix it even though he doesn't normally like you fixing things. :( We have a complicated yard management arrangement as we have a YM that doesn't want to be a YM but then doesn't want anyone else to be either - luckily most of the time the yard gets on together and manages ok.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would expect general maintenance too. The light bulb I think should be replaced by the YO, but its hardly rocket science to tighten up an electric fence really, so that could well be done by a livery.

Personally, as a yard owner, when we did DIY I would have prefered people not to do things other than tiny things, as I would prefer to know it was done properly and how I wanted.. I was also always nervous of someone/a horse getting hurt.

Some people on here do come across as though they expect all DIY yardowners to give up their jobs and spend 24/7 trotting round de-icing, leveling schools, and doing any tiny job that comes up the minute it happens. (I said some people not all!)

diamonddogs

Visit site
Our YOs supervise field rotation, maintain fields and school, eg taps, troughs and harrowing, deliver hay and straw to your area in the barn, distribute wormers (included in rent) and keep the muckheap under control. Stables have strip lights so we're not allowed to touch them. They also provide a heater, kettles, fridge and microwave in the tearoom. I might have forgotten things, but suffice to say, all maintenance is done by them, assuming they get told about issues as they arise, otherwise it would be mayhem if everyone was running around doing what they thought was for the best.

How we look after our horses is left completely to us, the only caveat is that if owners don't visit twice as day (once in summer), or don't arrange for someone else to, they get a couple of warnings then are asked to leave, and presumably other obvious welfare issues would be addressed, but as everyone is really good, I couldn't really say when they would intervene.

I'm very happy where I am, and with the facilities provided.

Irishcobs

Visit site
The reason I ask is if my stable light or tack room (only 3-4 people per tack room) light bulb went, it could be days before the YO was available to replace it as they work off site. 5 days of the week I do my horse in the dark so wouldn't be able to see. For that reason I would change my own light bulb.
The light is a normal wall light, with plastic cover, easy to reach with a step ladder and only needs a screwdriver.
But a fellow livery complained to me the other day that her light bulb in her stable still hasn't been changed and she told the YO 3 days ago. She is trying to muck out in the dark. When I said I would just change my own I was looked at like I was mad.
I think our livery fee is a very good price for what we get so I don't think I'm paying for something I'm not getting.

ellie11987

Visit site
Well, our YO is not horsey and not errrmmm short of money, put it that way. As long as we pay our rent, follow the rules and keep the yard nice then he covers all maintenance down to a broken tie ring. We have a maintenance man who comes up and fixes the odd thing and another person employed for bigger jobs. In fact, YO hates us doing anything ourselves, he would rather have a job done well than naff and causing problems later :)

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
Maintenance (fencing, light bulbs, loo rolls) my (YM) responsibility.

When I do late night checks, I put in extra nets for those who have asked me to, FOC. I don't, however, feed extra haylage to those who haven't asked. I'll top up water buckets if it looks like horse will run out by morning (i.e less than 3 inches). If it's out of character for the horse i'll mention it to owner so that they are aware.

Last night checked the horse who wears a hock boot to help a capped hock, boot had fallen down. I replaced. Another horse had poo'd in his water bucket, again I washed out and replaced. Another horse's net had fallen down, I re-hung it.
I de-ice the yard, and level the school.

I feel it is my responsibility to do all of the above, and basically anything which will prevent/avert a disaster/injury. Does that make me an interfering DIY YM? :)

Snowysadude

Visit site
Depends on how much I pay! On one DIY yard its really expensive so I expect everything to be well maintained, light bulbs replaced, fencing fixed, doors mended ect. Just everything done! The other is super cheap so I am happy to do my own thing and just expect the basics like broken fencing round the outside (so no ones space) to be fixed, burst pipes to be replaced ect. It doesn't have electricity but if it did I would replace bulbs!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think it depends on what you pay. Top end I would expect all maintenance down to light bulbs done, but never anything with the horse etc. I'm on cheap farm diy, I expect the important jobs done. But minor things like a sticking door, the toilet light bulb, minor repairs while he will do, its never quick so we do them ourselves. We don't pay enough imo to expect it done immediately. But he is great for things like fencing, or when a pipe bursts etc.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Maintenance (fencing, light bulbs, loo rolls) my (YM) responsibility.

When I do late night checks, I put in extra nets for those who have asked me to, FOC. I don't, however, feed extra haylage to those who haven't asked. I'll top up water buckets if it looks like horse will run out by morning (i.e less than 3 inches). If it's out of character for the horse i'll mention it to owner so that they are aware.

Last night checked the horse who wears a hock boot to help a capped hock, boot had fallen down. I replaced. Another horse had poo'd in his water bucket, again I washed out and replaced. Another horse's net had fallen down, I re-hung it.
I de-ice the yard, and level the school.

I feel it is my responsibility to do all of the above, and basically anything which will prevent/avert a disaster/injury. Does that make me an interfering DIY YM? :)

Yes but a very nice one :)

CupKake

Visit site
I am a DIY and my yard owner and hubby go above and beyond. They charge for all the usual bring in t/o etc but summer checks are free, chucking hay and feed in free. I often pay to have my guys brought in of a pm and insist rugs are not changed nor feet picked out (I will do it on arrival later), just to make life easier for YO' yet EVERY single time it is done, its quite a treat!!
All maintenance is done way beyond normal repair standards' and completed them moment anything looks iffy.

Last week I mentioned one of the wooden slats used to panel/board my girls wall looked loose, I returned only a few hours later to find a whole now piece of wood nailed in and creosoted!!

If rugs look crooked or come undone they are straightened or done back up, I really do not have to worry about a thing!!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As a YO I consider that I am responsible for replacing stuff like lightbulbs, tho' my lovely livery sometimes gets on a ladder and climbs up and does it (or get OH to do so!!!). But bless her, she shouldn't as its my responsibility.

As is stuff like general maintenance & fencing. The ONE thing I will not be responsible for however, is maintenance of any electric fencing the livery puts up. This is because its in the livery agreement that the livery is responsible for maintenance of any fencing she puts up plus replacing batteries etc - tho TBH if I saw it flapping in the breeze I'd go up and see what was wrong and either put it back the way it was and/or text her to let her know.

But general maintenance, i.e. gates/fencing, etc etc, is my responsibility and I would undertake to sort it.

I would NOT interfere with anyone else's horses, full stop. But as I live on-site so when I go down to the yard last-thing to check on everyone if there's a haynet/bucket needing refilling I'll do it; and also if livery can't be around for farrier/vet etc I'll be there if needed.

If there's snow on the ground and she can't get her to do hers, I'll chuck them some hay - did so for the past two years here.

Re. turnout/bringing in: I won't do this unless livery specifically requests it, e.g. she's away or whatever.