DIY livery and sharers

popletaa

Visit site
For those on DIY livery, how often would you expect a sharer to go to the yard on 'their' days?

I've been considering getting a sharer for my horse, primarily for time reasons. But I'm not sure what to expect of a sharer. I shared horses before I got my own (and also had one weird situation where I loaned a horse then the owner shared her back from me), but all of them were either assisted/full livery so the issue of going to the yard twice a day never came up.

Would it be unreasonable to expect a sharer to cover both ends of the day, or is that normal when sharing a horse on DIY livery?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I used to ride, feed, turn out, do haynets, but one end of the day only. I think many people offer full days, so the sharer has the full day plus associated chores.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I ask for both sides of the day to be done but there is assistance if required (ie to turn out/bring in). This is then their responsibility to pay for and organise. I’m on DIY

Shay

Visit site
It depends on your contract. When we were sharing DD's outgown PC Ponies we would turn out for sharers (who were primarily PC Kids). But if they didn't want to do chores later they had to pay the full yard charge for the day.

HashRouge

Visit site
I did both ends of the day when I was sharing a horse on DIY, but I usually paid someone to bring in for me. Sometimes I went down twice though, and the livery lady had Sunday afternoon off so always brought in then (but sometimes would get pony turned out in the morning and then do jobs and ride in the afternoon instead).

Annagain

Visit site
My sharer only does one end of the day but then, so do I thanks to a rota system with a group of us at the yard.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
People on my yard have all sorts of different arrangements with their sharers...the children who share spend most of their day with the pony...some adults spend most of their day too..some do one end of the day or the other...it’s just struck me how many shares there are. We are predominately a DIY yard.

skint1

Visit site
When we had a sharer for my daughter's horse they only came up once a day on their days, even when they ostensibily had the horse on full loan. It worked for me because although they were a good rider they weren't that up on the management side, whereas I can't ride for toffee but am used to the management so it worked

peanut

Visit site
My arrangement is that my sharer has my horse for two full days a week. My horse needs feeding twice a day, so my sharer has to go to the yard twice a day.

popletaa

Visit site
Thanks everyone this is really useful! It seems it wouldn't be that unreasonable to request both ends of the day then if the sharer were happy with that arrangement (a few of us also have a rota system, so perhaps the sharer would want to be involved with this).

Surely that would depend on your individual contract with your sharer?

Well obviously, but then I could say they have to come up 5x a day in a contract if I wanted to and I doubt I'd get many takers... ;) Hence I just wanted to gauge what the 'norm' is, what people tend to expect or are willing to do.

teddypops

Visit site
Thanks everyone this is really useful! It seems it wouldn't be that unreasonable to request both ends of the day then if the sharer were happy with that arrangement (a few of us also have a rota system, so perhaps the sharer would want to be involved with this).

Well obviously, but then I could say they have to come up 5x a day in a contract if I wanted to and I doubt I'd get many takers... ;) Hence I just wanted to gauge what the 'norm' is, what people tend to expect or are willing to do.
But it doesn’t matter what ‘the norm’ is ?. People have sharers to suit their specific needs. I would think the contract would be discussed between both parties, rather than the owner making demands.

popletaa

Visit site
But it doesn’t matter what ‘the norm’ is ?. People have sharers to suit their specific needs. I would think the contract would be discussed between both parties, rather than the owner making demands.

I'm not intending on making any demands, that's quite an assumption? I'm merely asking what other arrangements people have that they find works for both them and the sharer in a DIY livery situation. It's a fair and simple query that people have answered and has been enormously useful for me.

Personally, having a sharer to cover the entire day works better for me, but I wanted to know whether this would be considered unreasonable/unusual - having been a sharer myself for so many years I want to do this in a fair way that isn't taking advantage of any potential sharer or considered to be an unreasonable expectation. I haven't had experience of sharing a horse on a DIY yard, hence I'm asking people that do... :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I'm not intending on making any demands, that's quite an assumption? I'm merely asking what other arrangements people have that they find works for both them and the sharer in a DIY livery situation. It's a fair and simple query that people have answered and has been enormously useful for me.

Personally, having a sharer to cover the entire day works better for me, but I wanted to know whether this would be considered unreasonable/unusual - having been a sharer myself for so many years I want to do this in a fair way that isn't taking advantage of any potential sharer or considered to be an unreasonable expectation. I haven't had experience of sharing a horse on a DIY yard, hence I'm asking people that do... :)

I think the owner can “demand” whatever they want (within reason), it’s their horse ? If prospective sharers don’t like it they can look elsewhere! It has to be an ideal solution for the owner as well as the sharer. I’d say more so for the owner as they have the ultimate responsibility for the horse.

teddypops

Visit site

Well I didn’t really make an assumption, you said in a previous post that if you were going to make people come 5x a week you probably wouldn’t get many takers. I don’t know why this has turned into an argument as I am just saying that what everyone else does isn’t really relevant. You do what suits you, the sharer and the horse.

teddypops

Visit site
I think the owner can “demand” whatever they want (within reason), it’s their horse ? If prospective sharers don’t like it they can look elsewhere! It has to be an ideal solution for the owner as well as the sharer. I’d say more so for the owner as they have the ultimate responsibility for the horse.
Well not really, it has to suit both parties or a) you won’t find a sharer or b) the sharer will let you down. Of course owner has final say, but you can’t force a sharer to do something they don’t want to!

Courbette

Visit site
I'd chat with any prospective sharers as it will depend on the individual. For years I did once a day but was happy to provide extra weekend cover or go on a rota with others for weekend feeds. I have done spells of covering both ends of a day but I have always found it hard to do due to work commitments and it has not been 'the norm' in my experience. One during the week and twice at the weekend has been more usual on the yards where I have loaned.

Equi

Visit site
When i was sharing i did two days a week which included bring in, muck out and feed + ride. Yard had a turnout service in the AM. If they didn't, honestly i would not have taken on the share. It would not have suited me with work (i dont finish to 9AM) Even if it had suited with work etc i would only have wanted to go up once a day cause im lazy.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have a sharer who rides and I demand she does no chores at all ?although she does insist of poo picking when she is at the yard.

She is a good rider and I trust her with B when we are out and about but she has little stable management experience and I wouldn’t be comfortable with her looking after my two.