DIY Livery Charges 2024

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
On the herts, beds and bucks borders we are £195 for Stable, Grazing and Wormer (yard worming programme includes worm counts and wormer) and use of large lunge pen and 60x60 outdoor flood lit wormer and 200 acres of hacking.

Bedding and hay/hayledge we have to buy from the yard. There are services if needed. If you have bring in regular 5 days a week you get 10% off.

Edited to add it normall goes up by about £10 per horse each year. When we first came to the yard 14 years ago it was £110 and we had all of the above apart from the school, that was 20x40

Last edited:

WBGG

Visit site
West Midlands: basic DIY £38 per week with no hay or bedding. There's no arena, but we can ride in the fields and there are some jumps we can use as well. Turnout and bring in, hay and bedding is extra.
Hope this helps!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Very well timed thread. Thank m thinking of having another livery or two because I need some company for my horse.

I was thinking £140-150 pcm for nice stable, lots of grazing, hard standing turnout for bad weather and individual sheds for storage. Plus good hay included. No arena, but a neighbour let’s people use her indoor and outdoor.

Surbie

Visit site
North Surrey straight DIY ranges from £200 to £345/month with all year turnout, mostly in large fields.

Three yards in my area have closed since I've had my horse - unfortunately including the first yard I was on. That one has reopened but is full livery only. Of the other two, the owner wanted the land back for one and the other is to be developed. There are still 13 DIY yards within easy reach for me - that's about 300 DIY places. It obviously pays or people would stop.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
2 questions.

What are youre DIY livery charges of 2024?

Total DIY, no mucking out, no feed or feeding, No checking in on, no field turnout during winter. Muck out skip removal and occasional harrowing of arena done. what would you price?

No turnout in winter ? That would be a major no no for many.

I’m in KEnt pay 150pcm for true DIY on a lovely yard with nice arena and all year turn out. Turnout in pairs and have a large paddock per 2 so can rest /rotate etc we tend to put hay out in winter or they hate hug but they are still out 7/9 hours can be out 24/7 in spring /summer if you choose

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
£250 in West Sussex for a stable, half a stable for storage and shared field.

Outdoor 60x40, sandy soil so mud situation pretty good, day TO in winter and overnight in summer, good hacking, not overstocked, solarium, warm water wash bay, great tackroom. All of it is brilliantly maintained by the YOs too, the school is sprinklered/harrowed regularly, the fences are fixed, leaky stables are fixed etc etc - god does it make a difference!

ponyparty

Visit site
£40 per week, 24/7 turnout with shelter (but I am paying for the bedding in the shelter at the moment, don’t ask, weird situation that should be resolved from 1 April!). Use of a stable. No feed, forage or bedding included. No school but can use summer field when it’s not completely sodden (I use my own judgement to ensure I’m not cutting it up too much). Pretty much left to my own devices. Decent hacking. Plans to install jumps/mini xc once landowner has moved her horses on site and the weather improves (if it ever improves!).
ETA location Worcestershire.

dougpeg

Visit site
£32 per week. Stable, own third of an acre paddock, tackroom and pallet for storage. Decent outdoor arena with lights and good hacking. It's excellent value for money and they could ask for more and get it easily. Rare to have vacanies and lovely people too. Hay needs to be purchased from them, again good value for money, and they offer pay as you go extras from turnout to full livery. The size of the paddock is the compromise for me but that's normal for my area.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
£32 per week. Stable, own third of an acre paddock, tackroom and pallet for storage. Decent outdoor arena with lights and good hacking. It's excellent value for money. Hay needs to be purchased from them, again good value for money, and they offer pay as you go extras from turnout to full livery. The size of the paddock is the compromise for me but that's normal for my area.
Cripes, that's about 60m x 36m if a rectangle, is that all year round?

As you say, sounds good except the tiny leg stretch place.

dougpeg

Visit site
Cripes, that's about 60m x 36m if a rectangle, is that all year round?

As you say, sounds good except the tiny leg stretch place.
No idea on meters, but i think larger than that, I used Google daft logic acreage calculator and it came to about 1/3 of an acre. Yes all year round and on clay 🙈. Small turnout areas are quite normal by me though.

Bellalily

Visit site
Was paying £145 pm, moved to a better yard £163, nothing included.
Now pay £350 for ad lib hay, morning check, rug change, hay top up, ditto water, feed breakfasts, field maintenance, it’s grass livery, decent field. Competent YO who I knew thru a friend. I’m in SE Kent, the 💰 part.

Bellalily

Visit site
Mines gone up from £150 to £200 in about 6 yrs that’s 33%. No yard I know had 2 acres per horse. Max would be 1 and usually it’s less. Having said that I don’t think it’s massively profitable. The yard I was on would have had a gross income of 50k. I don’t know what the water/ rates or electricity costs are but labour is minimal. The school hasn’t been harrowed for 6 months, I had to put my own fence posts in (old used posts supplied) as the rotten ones broke and I’ve bought my own seed and fertiliser. Apart from emptying the muck trailer every three days and mending the odd automatic waterer sod else is done. I cleaned the gutters out myself. In 2020 we restained the whole yard and painted all the stable doors ourselves put up flower holders and made the yard look fab. 3 weeks ago we were all given notice by email as they want to use the land to graze Sheep. I’ve been there 14yrs.
Have they not seen Clarkson’s Farm? No money in sheep and I can vouch for that too!

Bellalily

Visit site
I find there are too many yard hoppers.
Either pee people off the yard and move on
recently found one liver left the yard very quickly we then found out why she was a divide and conquer livery.
some area pain and you find out they were kicked off previous yard and lie why they left and you find out the hard way

Others genuine

move out area
move on to suitable yard for their needs
sell horse etc

In my days people stayed until horse died - gave up or moved out the area. Now it is too many hoppers
I have been consistently lied to which has prompted several yard moves.
1. YO put my hay and straw up 50% as soon as I arrived, others were paying the old rate. No 24hr t/o so she’s was taking it in from me. Questioned her and she said she had never quoted old prices. Left.
2. Fab yard, YO expecting baby, was assured she had help during the early weeks, lied, no help and obviously baby took priority over my two’s welfare so when I found them without food several times, I left.
3. My financial reasons.
4. Cheap yard. Witch of a YO that I only discovered a week later, well known round here, I missed the memo.
5. No safe hacking, had 2 very near misses. Grazing rubbish and hay very expensive.
6. Lied to about turn out which I got moaned about when I put mine out when it was raining. Small stables so I was spending a fortune on hay and bedding plus mine are mature so need the exercise.
7. Where I am now. Grass livery, ad lib hay, school, amazing off road hacking, near home. 🤞🤞
If YO’s were honest and fair and looked after their fields and stables, I wouldn’t have had to move at all. Sometimes I think they should take a lie detector test. I’ve been a YO and none of mine ever left because I’d failed them. It was either because their own fields had recovered, horses sold or house sold. Mine came back each autumn and knew they’d be well looked after. It’s not difficult. 😊

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Have they not seen Clarkson’s Farm? No money in sheep and I can vouch for that too!
TBH that’s what we’ve been told but it could be a complete lie. It doesn’t make sense to us if that was all they are doing as there are substantial buildings on the site. I think they may be doing storage as well. Time will tell.

equinerebel

Visit site
£175 a month for stable, herd turnout, school, quiet road hacking, hay and straw (both without restrictions). I do all elements of daily care, but YO will do anything else for me as extras if I want. Or I could buddy up with another livery. YO doesn’t mind either way. YOs do muck heap removal and field/stable maintenance.

They live on site so night checks are free and standard.

Wishfilly

Visit site
£21 a week for stable, storage, turnout (out for the day in winter, but it can be long days e.g. 7am-6pm if I need/want to, out 24/7 in the summer) + £10 a week on top for unlimited hay. We have to source our own bedding but there's plenty of storage. Use of outdoor school, and nice hacking nearby, which is accessible over the farm 99% of the time, so no need to go on the roads if you don't want to, but you can also use mostly quiet lanes to make some longer routes. YOs do all maintenance and muck heap removal, although we muck in with things like moving electric fencing etc.

In terms of how it pays I assume the YO owns the land outright (i.e. no mortgage to service) and so we are basically just covering costs and maybe the costs of the YO's horses. It is the cheapest livery I've had, with arguably the nicest facilities and hacking!

I don't know how anyone makes money out of DIY, although I do know mine is exceptionally cheap!

Jambarissa

Visit site
Within communting distance of Leeds and Manchester

£25/week for stable and herd turnout on massive pastures.
Electric and water and reasonable facilities
Decent school with no lights
Pretty crap hacking

Additional £10/week unlimited haylage
£10/day for full cover or £3 for a turnout or bring in

It's a pretty run down yard and if you want something repairing you do it yourself. YO won't get involved in politics so bullying and general anti social behaviour does happen.

It's actually a bit more expensive than comparable yards but I appreciate not being told what I can and can't do with my horses (except by other liveries)

Horsegirl25

Visit site
Scotland - I have 2 horses on fully DIY livery and I pay £305 a month (the £5 is to keep my lorry there) think that works out for one horse around
Our hay is payed by how many kg we use off of the bale.
Indoor and outdoor school, although outdoor is very deep and more like a turnout pen.
24/7 turnout in the summer but limited in the winter to out every second day (weather depending) not ideal but better than some in the area.
Stables are lovely and big barn - very very decent price compared to some other not so great yards in the area. We are very lucky!

Love

Visit site
£32 a week DIY which includes field, stable and use of nice arena with jumps and lights. Field waters also done and fields rolled in spring. 24/7 turnout in summer and in overnight in winter. Lots of storage space for feed/bedding/rugs/junk and 2 secure tack rooms. Miles and miles of the most beautiful hacking on our doorstep including onto the Malvern hills if we want to. Worcestershire/Herefordshire border

I then pay for extras from them such as turn outs/bring ins depending on my work schedule, trailer storage, hay and occasionally a full livery day here and there if I am away and my yard pals can't do him for me. Very aware of how good of a deal we are getting!

ApolloStorm

Visit site
£300 PCM including stable with tack locker build in, Daily turnout in winter 24/7 in summer, 40x20 indoor, 60x30 outdoor, lunge pen, and xc course. Also includes ad lib haylage, putting the horse out in the morning and trailer parking
Yard is shavings only so you can buy them from the yard who deliver to your door for £7.50 a bale.

I think I get a good deal but we are in the north where things are cheaper!