DIY Livery charges

bitlessbill

Visit site
What would people expect to pay for DIY Livery on a smaller private yard with all year round turnout (not 24hr), with a floodlit indoor and outdoor school and the option of assisted if needed?

Clare85

Visit site
I'm not sure on average prices in Hertfordshire, but in Surrey it would generally be about £35 p/w with assistance on top. In West Sussex, where I am now, it's about £25 p/w plus assistance on top.

xgemmax

Visit site
I have this at my yard minus the indoor school and pay £35.00 per week (Kent) would probably still expect to pay around that mark though plus extras

Posa

Visit site
Im in Herts at a small yard and pay £130 a month for all year turnout (24/7 in summer), good hacking and an outdoor school if that's any help. Would be prepared to pay more for use of an indoor school.

Lego

Visit site
I currently pay £210pcm for assisted DIY. I get 24/7 summer, and all/every day winter turnout, decent stable, storage area, hay area, small indoor and large outdoor schools with lights. Excellent hacking with no roadwork. They do breakfast and turn out included.

For £10pd you can have 'full' livery, ie muck out, bring in, dinner. They don't really do rugs though, and prefer you to leave feed and hey ready to go.

Previous yard I paid £120pcm for complete DIY - with bolt on services as requested. Eg bring in £2... Cheaper but decidedly average stable, school and storage.

Whoopit

Visit site
I'm in Manchester and I pay £30 a week (£130pm) for 24/7 summer turnout which is usually only 5mths and winter turnout in the day when it doesn't rain. We have a floodlit outdoor school and we have no-road hacking straight out onto Pennine Bridleway.

There's optional Mon-Fri morning duty (so skip out, hay, breakfast and water topped up or turnout if they can go out) for £11 for the five days.

Sealine

Visit site
I'm in Herts. I pay £100 a month for DIY on a large yard with all year round turn out (24/7 for about three months in summer). Outdoor floodlit school is charged extra at £2.50 for half an hour. I know this is cheap for Herts. No assisted option but there are a couple of trusted, experienced liveries who will do my horse if I'm away with work or on hols for £10 a day (turn out and bring in, muck out, feeds/hay/water)

DirectorFury

Visit site
I know of a yard up here with similar facilities and it has direct off-road hacking too (just north of Swansea). It's £20pw with assisted on top. I really don't see how yard owners are making money charging so little! Personally I'd expect to pay £40-50pw DIY for those facilities but would also expect the yard to be well-maintained and sensibly run.

Whizza

Visit site
I'm in Lincolnshire. I pay £80 pcm for DIY 24/7 turn out all year. No school, but plenty of storage areas for as much hay as I can fit in and feed areas and a massive stable should I ever need it, hopefully not!

galaxy

Visit site
I'm on herts/Bucks border and you would be looking at £40/45 a week depending on the quality of the stables/arenas/fencing etc

gryff

Visit site
I know of a yard up here with similar facilities and it has direct off-road hacking too (just north of Swansea). It's £20pw with assisted on top. I really don't see how yard owners are making money charging so little! Personally I'd expect to pay £40-50pw DIY for those facilities but would also expect the yard to be well-maintained and sensibly run.
Where is that???? Would you please message me?

tiggs

Visit site
If it is your yard you would need to charge about £60 a week to cover the additional costs of having liveries eg insurance/rates and make it worthwhile doing it.

FDLady

Visit site
I was in herts and paying £130 per month. Large DIY Yard, roomly stables, had indoor and outdoor schools that were free to use at any time; turnout was awful though (no going out if it had been raining, had to be in early, large herd only etc... They caught you out by charging services on top so if you worked 9-5 you had to pay them to get your horse in by 4pm). Id of happily paid £160 - £180 for the use of my own paddock/small herds with daily turnout. Obviously though yard would have to be well run.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Herts (London commuter belt), small private yard with an indoor - if well maintained and generally a nice yard I'd imagine you will find good clients willing to pay £50-60pw excluding assistance or consumables

bitlessbill

Visit site
The location I'm looking into at the moment is Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire border. 12 good size stables with indoor/outdoor schools, small xc course and fairly good hacking, could possibly offer hay & straw in with the diy cost. Do you think there would be a demand at the higher end of the diy scale?

ihatework

Visit site
The location I'm looking into at the moment is Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire border. 12 good size stables with indoor/outdoor schools, small xc course and fairly good hacking, could possibly offer hay & straw in with the diy cost. Do you think there would be a demand at the higher end of the diy scale?

Ah, outside prime commuter belt. I still think all year turn out and an indoor will command a premium but you might be better checking local prices first

FDLady

Visit site

Its a low wage area so in my opinion you'd only be looking at £30/35 a week for all those facilities i'm afraid - £40 with assistance maybe. Lots of horses in the area but again LOTS of private yards so the less who actually have to rely on DIY yards up here.

Last edited:

Chloe..x

Visit site
It was £39 a week for a small indoor (only one person rides at a time for half an hour), outdoor, all year turnout and unlimited hay and straw. It's gone up to £43 now though due to a poor straw harvest.

We pay £2.50 a week to use the indoor.