DIY Livery - how far away from home?

Astra

Visit site
I am going to be moving house shortly and am looking for a new yard. I'm very lucky at the moment because my current yard is just 7mins in the car from home (yes I have timed it - sad I know). There are a number of possible yards around the area I am moving to and I was wondering how far/long people who have their horses on DIY livery travel to their yards? I'm keen to keep travelling to a minimum as I have an minimum 1.5hr commute to work at both ends of my day after/before going to the stables, but need to balance this against finding the right place for my boy.

Thanks

A x

rema

Visit site
I am 7.3 miles away (yes i am a saddo too!).It takes me about 10-15 minutes by car.
grin.gif

JenHunt

Visit site
i am 14 miles from mine - although i guess its still really home as its mum and dad's house - it takes me 20 minutes usually, but i only have to do it once a day. mum and dad do them on a morning cos i start work at 7.30am, then i do them on a night and at the w/ends.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
takes me anwhere between 12 minutes and 35minutes depending on traffic and if I have to go over the moors rather than through the town centre. Quickest route is 8miles.

wouldn't want to be much further away TBH especially when the traffic is bad on a friday it is annoying.

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Used to be about a 40 min drive away and that was after a 45min tube journey home first, I hated it. Now I live about 6/7 mins from yard and it is on my way to the station so very handy, I go past on my way to and from work. Wouildn't want it any other way not unless I was on full livery. It becomes a chore if you have to travel for hours and end up not enjoying your time at the yard anyway.

Lill

Visit site
Um about 30 min drive usually and 10 miles.... my friend who rides Holly lives about 16 miles from the yard and i can take her about 45mins - 1 hr to get there depending on traffic which sucks!

AandK

Visit site
i am v lucky.. the yard is inbetween work and home.. 6/7 mins from home, 4/5 mins from work (work is only 10 min away too)..!! used to be at a yard 20 mins from home and 25/30 mins from work.. much better now, can go up at lunch time in the winter to get Andy in from the field, no more having to pay for the service.!! love it..
laugh.gif

GinaGem

Visit site
12 mins, 15 mins if i have to do some reversing (all single width country lanes)! I work form the same place though so very handy!

elsielouise

Visit site
2 mins by car and am afraid to say OH does mornings - he is my hero and was non horsey 'til he met me. Have 'given' him my young horse as a reward tho' he's only ridden her twice.

Solstar

Visit site
7 miles away- takes me about 6-7 minutes to get there!
how long it takes to get there from work varies, as i work in a differant place everyday- i.e driffield, whitby, scarborough, filey, bridlington, pickering, york, malton, or selby if im lucky.
it can take anything from between 20 mins and an hour and a half to get back.
the YM brings them in if im anywhere other than york or selby.

PennyJ

Visit site
I found somewhere literally round the corner from our house, which is probably the best thing of all about the yard I'm at. Personally I'd rather have them as close as possible than travel further to get more facilities. (It means I can get a bit of a lie in and the kids can do the mornings lol)

Nickijem

Visit site
I keep my horse about 0.5miles away - 7mins walk or 3mins in the car. I try not to drive but on acold dark morning when I'm late for work, or a rainy evening, the car is far too tempting!

Shantor1

Visit site
My 2 are a 10 minute drive (4 miles) from home and 20 minute drive from work, so they're en route which has saved me a lot of time and money compared to a previous yard.