Diy livery - pricing structure

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Just interested to know how DIY livery prices are structured if you have more than one horse. Are you paying double the price of one horse or do you get a reduction for having two or more on the same yard? I'm currently at livery (groan), and I'm lucky enough to have my 'own' field with just my two. My two stables (end ones, opposite eachother lucky me) are in a barn which is obviously shared with 4 others. The cost is £20 per week, per horse. For this I have grazing and pretty good stabling. Nothing else is included. I'd be interested to hear your stories. I'm in the South West so I know prices are going to vary around the country. Thank youuu !!! :)

Always-Riding

Visit site
I've never been on DIY livery that has a reduction in price if you have 2+ horses.. Always paid the same for each horse. Although saying that, I did pay less for keeping a miniature there. (Devon)

lunarlove

Visit site
Wow thats great, Im also south west and if I want a stable its £45 a week and that doesnt include bedding so with three bales of shavings thats £76 a week and that is per horse!!

Abacus

Visit site
I don't see why you'd get a reduction for more than one unless there's a cost saving to the YO (like you're happy for them to share a field, but others have individual turnout). I have never known this and have always paid the same for each of mine when I had two, both on the DIY cost and on the services. There was one time a horse came back from loan unexpectedly and my YO didn't have a spare stable but allowed me to 'stable share' so one was in by day and the other by night - I paid 1x DIY livery and 1x grass livery for this.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Just interested to know how DIY livery prices are structured if you have more than one horse. Are you paying double the price of one horse or do you get a reduction for having two or more on the same yard? I'm currently at livery (groan), and I'm lucky enough to have my 'own' field with just my two. My two stables (end ones, opposite eachother lucky me) are in a barn which is obviously shared with 4 others. The cost is £20 per week, per horse. For this I have grazing and pretty good stabling. Nothing else is included. I'd be interested to hear your stories. I'm in the South West so I know prices are going to vary around the country. Thank youuu !!! :)

That is about as cheap as it gets assuming you have running water in yard and the field and electricity. I would guess you also have storage for hay/feed/tools etc. If it suits your needs I would be hanging onto the 2 spaces with a grip of iron.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Other than the minute saving of only printing one invoice each month not two there's no saving for the yard owner for you having two rather than having two separate owners so I'm not sure why they's give a discount for multiple horses?

hnmisty

Visit site
I know someone who got a discount on DIY for two. She simply said "will you take £X/month for both?" and they said yes. It was about £30 or £40 less a month that if she had simply doubled what she was paying.

Challaborough Christmas Tree

Visit site
When I had 2 I was on a small private yard, I payed stabled livery for one and grass livery for the other as both lived out most of the time anyway, that came to £28 a month. It was a bit of a pain though if they both had the farrier out on the same day...

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
As a YO it doesn't make a difference to me who the horse I'm looking after belongs to in monetary terms, so I wouldn't offer a discount on multiple horses. In fact, one horse owners are a bit of a safer option as clients, as should anything go pearshaped and they were to leave, it's a smaller chunk of income to lose in one go.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Was paying £90 a month for one, then got my second pony as needed a companion and as i needed a stable on the same bit as first horse the feedroom next to my first stable was converted into a stable for pony and i paid £150 a month for both as both stables were alot smaller than the others.
So was saving £30 a month, everyone else got £5 knocked off for every additional horse so £85 each for two, £80 each for 3 etc.
Don't know if it was a particularly fair way to do it but heyho - he didn't run the yard either just let it run itself .. No school, sort your fencing yourself etc

TwinnyOlive

Visit site
When I had 2 we had no discount, however I know some people based at large equestrian centres do sometimes get discounts for several horses.

Bertolie

Visit site
I have 2 on DIY livery and there is no reduction for multiple horses. I pay £100 pcm per horse for stable and grazing. This also includes large lockable tack room all to myself, large storage area, water, electric and use of small indoor school.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I have heard of discounts on 2+ full livery horses at the same yard but never on DIY.

Ditto this, usually.

I pay £120 a month DIY in South East - it would be £130 if I was in a horse stable & £140 if I was in the American barn.

I get a stable, all year turn out, 20x40 sand school, use of jumps, off road hacking (although for some of it I have to pay TROT, but it works out like £1-2 a week, kitchen area & individual storage/tack room.

Last edited:

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Thanks to you all. Gosh, I really do live out 'in the sticks' don't I by comparison! I pay £20.00 per horse, per week. Pro rata this works out at £170.00 pcm. I have stabling and grazing. I buy all my own hard food, bedding and forage. Pay for all my fencing materials and do my own fencing, (well, husband does it). Lockable communal tack room and feed store and little room to make hot drinks etc. The only down side is storage. The barn is not wind tight nor watertight so my hay is wrapped and strapped to within a inch of its life and I store my wood pellets wherever I can find room! YO are very decent people and within reason leave us to our own devices. The yard is full of women, so on occasions need I say more?!? Often the only things that are up are my eyebrows !!!