DIY livery - Scottish peeps!

punk

Visit site
What do you pay for your DIY livery?

Seems that there is a great variation in prices.
So - say you were getting, in a small private livery:
Stable (large, but no rubber matting),
grazing (good),
60 x 25 all weather arena
use of jumps (on grass and arena)
goodish hacking
areas for fast work
Experienced Stable manager living on site
Flexible services from above when needed (extra cost)
Space to park trailer

What would you expect to pay?
We are thinking of taking a few liveries as we have fewer horses now.............
confused.gif

saddlesore

Visit site
Where i am - near glasgow - i would expect to pay £25-£30 depending on facilities for pure DIY.
TO/Bring in usually £1, feeding £1, muck out £3-5 etc

PucciNPoni

Visit site

Okay, I'm near Edinburgh and where I am just now we have

Stable (large, but no rubber matting) YES
grazing (good), YES
60 x 25 all weather arena SMALLER BUT INDOOR, PLUS ANOTHER 20X40 OUTDOOR
use of jumps (on grass and arena) YES
goodish hacking YES
areas for fast work NEARBY WITHIN 30 MIN HACK
Experienced Stable manager living on site YES
Flexible services from above when needed (extra cost) YES
Space to park trailer YES

For that above I pay £28 for DIY livery, and if I wanted to have some help from YM, I can pay up to a fiver a day for full livery.

However, the last place I was at, it was more like this:

Stable (large, but no rubber matting): Yes
grazing (good): Sometimes
60 x 25 all weather arena: Yes, but often flooded
use of jumps (on grass and arena): No, supply our own
goodish hacking: Excellent hacking though!
areas for fast work: Not on site, but within hacking
Experienced Stable manager living on site: No
Flexible services from above when needed (extra cost): No
Space to park trailer : for an additional charge of £5 per week

For that I paid £35 week til they upped the price to £40 per week.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I'm full livery ATM but will be moving back to DIY for winter I think (lottery win or selling my yearling notwithstanding!)

So - say you were getting, in a small private livery:
Stable (large, but no rubber matting),
grazing (good),
60 x 25 all weather arena - we have no outdoor, small indoor school
use of jumps (on grass and arena)
goodish hacking - beach 5 mins away
areas for fast work - beach 5 mins away
Experienced Stable manager living on site
Flexible services from above when needed (extra cost)
Space to park trailer

For the above including haylage / bedding it is £42 per week per horse. Stable is yours all year round, grass livery available May - September only for £20 per week.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I am DIY in Fife.
Stable is 12x12 with rubber matting, automatic water and haylage
60x35m floodlight arena with selection of jumps
24hr turnout in summer
1/2 day turnout in the winter
Hacking
Round Pen

Additionals incl
- Horse walker
- Solarium
- Hot water shower
- turnout/muck out etc

Owners live on site
There is also a warm tack room/social area. They are discussing the idea of a shower for us to use

For this we pay £195 a month

measles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm full livery ATM but will be moving back to DIY for winter I think (lottery win or selling my yearling notwithstanding!)

For the above including haylage / bedding it is £42 per week per horse. Stable is yours all year round, grass livery available May - September only for £20 per week.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a yard owner I struggle to see how a properly insured and legitimately run yard can operate at a profit charging £42/week for virtually full livery. Can I ask how many liveries there are there? It costs me a fortune for running costs (elec, water, rates, accountant, bedding, hay or haylage, maintaining fields, maintaining arena etc etc) before I even begin thinking of costing my time or employing staff.

We have a similar yard to that described by the OP, with ample good grazing and year round turnout. We have little or no turnover (liveries with us for 15 yrs, 12 yrs, 8 yrs etc) but do charge more for a full livery service where the horses are treated as our own.

punk

Visit site
Thanks to all of you!! Not sure that I am any the wiser though!
Up until recently we had up to 7 or 8 horses of our own, and were self-contained within our own land.
Through circumstances, and daughters giving up, we are now down to 2 or 3.
We are very lucky to have a lovely place with permanent pasture, and lovely stable yard. However, although I am a very private person, I feel the facilities should be used, and I also have a very experienced girl working for us part time(not her only job)) who lives in our stables cottage. I would hate for her to have to move on!!

l already know of 2 people who would LOVE to move here from another yard - 4 horses between them.

Trouble is they have only been paying 80 pounds a month for stable, grazing (OK but not like ours), and use of a 40x 20 arena which is full of stones as the membrane is breaking up.
Their hacking is probably slightly better than ours, but all other things here are better by far - not least that it is quiet and well run, in gorgeous countryside setting.

I just don't see that I could even cover my costs by charging 80 a month!!!!!! Do you think it would be reasonable to charge 100, with shavings and haylage on top at cost?
confused.gif
blush.gif

Wigglypigs

Visit site
We dont really have DIY offered at our yard....We have grass (only in summer), part and full livery
On part livery you get
Large stables, morning feeding,rugs changed then turnout,brought in, legs hosed,feet picked,rugs changed and fed again. Owners are responsible for leaving haylage in stable (adlib) and mucking out.
Yard has 25x50 all weather outdoor arena rubber surface well maintained.Small indoor school (too small and deep) Seperate turnout for mares/geldings. All fields electric fenced.tack and common rooms.Feed and tools room.Area for horse washing. Experienced Y.O on site who organises farrier and brings in horse etc
Yard owner provides haylage, basic feeding but if you buy something extra he is happy to add it to horses feed for you and 1 bale good quality shavings every fifth day. This costs £65 p/w
Yard also has xc course and SJ field with good quality jumps and loads of room to school/lunge etc avalible for use April to September and fantastic hacking all year round. ohh and secure parking for lorry/trailer for £55 per year

I love my yard am on full livery for all of the above plus mucking out at £85 p/w. Sadly our yard was always full but we are now only half full. only one livery has left (to go somewhere cheaper) and all the other horses have been PTS (all on yard for years and horses old or pts for medical reasons)
Our yard is expernsive but you could set your watch by yard owner and he notices every cut and scrape and will treat horse if required etc
also we have no kids on yard - woohoo
smile.gif

We are 3mins from M74 in lanarkshire area