DIY livery sought near Rochford, Southend Essex

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Seeking a small friendly DIY yard for 1 pony no more than 10 minutes drive from Westcliff. Essential it MUST have winter turnout and preferably some extra services available for shift and holiday cover for example.
Cannot afford part livery (have considered Shopland).
Any recommendations of vacancies please? Thank-you

tractor

Visit site
There are a good few yeards down that way, if you go past Shopland and turn left at the end of the road there are some down there. Have you tried looking in Hooked on Horses or Essex Rider? Or ring Shopland and ask about DIY yards nearby?

Just a little word of warning, it's been posted on FB this morning that there's a case of strangles down in that neck of the woods so just be careful....

Hope you find somewhere soon.

cbmcts

Visit site
You'll struggle to get every day winter turnout (despite what you might be told by the YO) in this area.

You could try Jotmans 01268 792356, you need a clear blood test before you're allowed on and they quarantine on arrival so it's pretty 'clean' (only yard I know that does this) but it is big with all the politics that go with it.

Your best bet would be to head up towards Thundersley and ask at the little private yards around there if winter turnout is essential...

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Thanks very much :). We don''t mind a few days in at a time of course when weather is really bad, but my daughter has just found out that current yard they will have to be in 24/7 from December until May - that is way too much for any horse imo. My daughter works fulltime so would struggle to ride everyday and she doesn't keep a pony to have to ride it like that.
Will try the suggestions thanks. This has come like a bolt from the blue! She has a little time now to seek the right yard, she doesn't want to be moving poor pony agan.

She has considered the Lawns, but I think the size puts her off and location and you need to arrange your own cover there - no services to be bought - she would prefer to be near Hadleigh. A private small yard would be ideal.....she needs to drive about and look and ask.

cbmcts

Visit site
One of the reasons that I don't have a riding horse any more is because while there are loads of yards in this area, there is hardly any winter turnout. 99% of yards have far too many stables for the acreage and it has become the norm for horses to be stabled 24/7 October to April every year. I know that most of the land round here is horrible Essex clay and it is difficult to maintain but it's still not acceptable in my book.

The Lawns is nice (think they still spend a lot of time standing in in winter though) but it'll take a lot longer than 10 minutes to get there across the A127...

Be aware that many YO consider 20 minutes in the sandschool as you muck out to 'everyday turnout'.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
One of the reasons that I don't have a riding horse any more is because while there are loads of yards in this area, there is hardly any winter turnout. 99% of yards have far too many stables for the acreage and it has become the norm for horses to be stabled 24/7 October to April every year. I know that most of the land round here is horrible Essex clay and it is difficult to maintain but it's still not acceptable in my book.

The Lawns is nice (think they still spend a lot of time standing in in winter though) but it'll take a lot longer than 10 minutes to get there across the A127...

Be aware that many YO consider 20 minutes in the sandschool as you muck out to 'everyday turnout'.

Oh great! Not good eh. My daughter's pony is a good doer, so grass quality is immaterial, but as you say horses need proper turnout for several hours a day. Probably best for her to have a drive about and be cheeky and ask at places.

Interesting and sad story re a dressage horse who had to be pts 1 week into retirement due to breaking leg turned out. It had always been in 24/7 due to a field accident as a youngster. It makes you wonder though whether being in for all those years caused the weakness?
Thanks for your help :)

rb898

New User
Visit site
Hi, apologies if i have double posted (not very good on these forums!) but just wondered if you ever found anywhere suitable? I'm in a similar position - only harder as my gelding lives out all year - and struggling to find anywhere suitable. If anyone has any suggestions (ideally leigh on sea/rayleigh - but could travel nearby for the right place). would be so gratefuil. he's on diy at the mo and ideally would like a nice small friendly place - not too fussed about amenities as just hack these days. thanks

Jontydoggle

Visit site
Dollymans farm in Wickford - sounds miles away, but as its straight off the a127 takes me 18 minutes door to door from Rochford. Good facilities and your paddock (3/4 acre each) is your own to do with as you wish - whether you turn out 365 or choose not to. Stables in v good condition, water, lights two arenas (both floodlight) and great hacking around the farm. Requires strangles test pre- entry. Stable and grazing comes in at about £25 a week.

rb898

New User
Visit site
thank you, wickford is a bit far as need to be able to run there in the morning with the dog!! I've asked around at a load of places but nowhere seems to do 24/7 turnout?? Have hear that there are a few grass livery type places up daws heath road/ thundersley area, but everywhere I have phoned says limited turnout. :(

Has anyone had any joy or any other suggestions?

Thank you :D

vickalyn

New User
Visit site
Hi just thought i'd let you know, i know this post came on a while ago but i have been at the Lawns in Rochford for a long time 17 years. I also help out people with livery services. As i have been at the Lawns for a long time i have seen people come and go and know what turnout is like.

It mostly depends of what winter is like but normally from around April - Oct hores can live out and then from end of Oct - March / April if its a really wet winter then expect the horses to be in. 2 years ago we had an ok winter so the horses were nearly out every day where as this winter just gone we worked out the horses were in for abut 3 months in total with the odd day out and were even in on xmas day which has never been heard of.

Its a case of weighing it up really, the summers are lovely and there is so much riding where we are. If your looking to use the school after work or weekends you'll find that difficult as you get the 'regular' people putting thir names down before you even see the sheet to put your name down.

I generally hack my horse around the local areas dont tend to school, do a bit of jumping but he is 23 now so slowing down a bit and hes not too bothered about being in, in the winter. Maybe i am just lucky?

Anyway hope this post helps and if you wanted to know any more then dont hesitate to contact me. Vicky's livery services on fb.