DIY Poultice boot?

scrat

Visit site
Can anyone recall a post about making your own boots using an old inner tube / tyre?
I'm trying to find a suitable covering that is strong enough to turn out in. The canvas type boot that you can buy doesn't last long and hoof boots are expensive and may not be suitable for this boy. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cazza525

Visit site
i used duck tape and it stayed on throughout turnout. I also used nappies as cheaper for long term problems. I then vetwrapped on and completely covered in duck tape and it stayed put throughout 24hr turnout. I had no stables at the time and just reapplied in middle of field :)

Lynds

Visit site
I am not sure re a DIY version but I put a Cavallo boot to hold the poultice etc on my mare when she had an abscess and I am soooo impressed. 4 weeks, 24/7 and it still looks new. Recommended.

riding_high

Visit site
i saw the post you mean only yesterday but can't remember who it was that posted it.

i use nappies and lots of duct tape, worked quite well on my lad when we thought he had an abcess, he was turned out in it as well, only downside i found was getting it off again!

scrat

Visit site
Thanks for your ideas. Just to explain he is past the abcess but his hoof is quite weak due to being wrapped up for weeks. He has had to be box rested but can now have limited turnout if we can find a way of protecting the hoof, in particular the soul, but without wrapping it up too much again. He can't hold a shoe so a leather pad is not an option. I thought a tougher version of the canvas boot might be suitable. Are there any other types of poultice boot?